Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marthyrarth

Went on the Stena Horizon 08:55 Hlyhead return 15:10 from Dublin - St Patrick's day £4 return!!!!

Ship was slow boarding - reversing freight so slow foot pax boarding.
V similar to Lagan and Mersey but more dated and basic.

Would improve significantly if they put more carpets here and there.

Shop very very small.

Captain Italian.

Slight roll force 6-7 from South.

Took 40 minutes to unload footies which is unacceptable and we were off before most cars etc.

on way back ship had approx 200 pax but felt very busy only a few seats vacant and large gatherings to go to cars.

Did not buy any food as rather expensive and not a great choice.  Had coffee but no free refills or second half price like on other Stena ships.

Crew I believe were mix of Irish and uk and not bad overall.

Cinema out of action - no apology over tannoy, and it would be good if stena could have explained this was a refit cover ship whilst Superfast x having attention.  On my ticket it said SUPERFAST X.

Unloading in Holyhead very slow.  Slow approach to berth and 50 minutes from time of docking to boarding bus and exiting terminal.  Not acceptable.  Facilities at Holyhead are  bad - no room, spare parts and bits dumped everywhere

V old buses TO SHIP.  No foot pax gangway.  TerMinal needs painting. Station dirty.  No train information on board.  Wifi useless, even with small pax loads

Have complained before re Holyhead port but Stena seem to think they're quite good!  Well, I was in Durress earlier last year and the terminal there is fantastic in comparison to Holyhead!

Stena Horizon ok as a short term relief vessel if this was explained to pax.  Not sure if I would enjoy Cherbourg Rosslare on her - definitely not if full, and there are too many visentinis around.

Lots of footies, some a bit rough, making waiting in the terminal a bit unpleasant.

Also when you come through security in Holyhead footprints on floor and sign points to stairs  - Stena foot pas lounge and to the left, Irish ferries foot pax lounge, when the Irish ferries lounge deals for both companies.  Why hasn't someone changed the signage then - for god's sakes, years have gone by since the HSS seating lounge is not in use!

Steven

Quote from: marthyrarth on March 23, 2018, 07:20:54 PM
Went on the Stena Horizon 08:55 Hlyhead return 15:10 from Dublin - St Patrick's day £4 return!!!!

Ship was slow boarding - reversing freight so slow foot pax boarding.
V similar to Lagan and Mersey but more dated and basic.

Would improve significantly if they put more carpets here and there.

Shop very very small.

Captain Italian.

Slight roll force 6-7 from South.

Took 40 minutes to unload footies which is unacceptable and we were off before most cars etc.

on way back ship had approx 200 pax but felt very busy only a few seats vacant and large gatherings to go to cars.

Did not buy any food as rather expensive and not a great choice.  Had coffee but no free refills or second half price like on other Stena ships.

Crew I believe were mix of Irish and uk and not bad overall.

Cinema out of action - no apology over tannoy, and it would be good if stena could have explained this was a refit cover ship whilst Superfast x having attention.  On my ticket it said SUPERFAST X.

Unloading in Holyhead very slow.  Slow approach to berth and 50 minutes from time of docking to boarding bus and exiting terminal.  Not acceptable.  Facilities at Holyhead are  bad - no room, spare parts and bits dumped everywhere

V old buses TO SHIP.  No foot pax gangway.  TerMinal needs painting. Station dirty.  No train information on board.  Wifi useless, even with small pax loads

Have complained before re Holyhead port but Stena seem to think they're quite good!  Well, I was in Durress earlier last year and the terminal there is fantastic in comparison to Holyhead!

Stena Horizon ok as a short term relief vessel if this was explained to pax.  Not sure if I would enjoy Cherbourg Rosslare on her - definitely not if full, and there are too many visentinis around.

Lots of footies, some a bit rough, making waiting in the terminal a bit unpleasant.

Also when you come through security in Holyhead footprints on floor and sign points to stairs  - Stena foot pas lounge and to the left, Irish ferries foot pax lounge, when the Irish ferries lounge deals for both companies.  Why hasn't someone changed the signage then - for god's sakes, years have gone by since the HSS seating lounge is not in use!

Slight correction, she technically isn't on refit relief.  She's covering a technical problem with Stena Superfast X before she returns to her home route.

With regard to the interior of the vessel itself, she's on charter so they are probably quite limited in what they can do, which is unfortunate as an upgrade to something more like Lagan/Mersey should make her a much better vessel for passengers.  For whatever reason loading and unloading does seem to be an issue with her this time round on the Holyhead run. Shame communication wasn't better though (mind you those used to Epsilon may have thought her a slight improvement on a vessel that IF market as a "cruiseferry" on the Holyhead run!). 

I take it you won't be travelling with BF on Cork - Santander then ;).
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

marthyrarth

Travelling with BF CORK-santander - if the price is right i.e. much cheaper than normal ferry I would travel.

iF THE SHIP WAS QUIGE EMPTY NOT TOO BAD IF HAD WORK TO DO ONBOARD.

However, I do find these vissentinis a bit boring, although belfast ships are not bad to be fair.

giftgrub

Horizon is on the way back to Rosslare and Superfast X on ramp in Holyhead.

Normal service is about to resume for Stena's Irish Sea services.

Not sure if Carrier which is on the way to Cherbourg will make a return crossing and we could see three Stena ferries in Rosslare again for a short time.

Horizon will need a little bit of paintwork to remove the Holyhead fender marks and add the "Connecting" slogan to both sides of the hull.

RorieLen

Quote from: giftgrub on March 24, 2018, 09:03:04 PM
Horizon is on the way back to Rosslare and Superfast X on ramp in Holyhead.

Normal service is about to resume for Stena's Irish Sea services.

Not sure if Carrier which is on the way to Cherbourg will make a return crossing and we could see three Stena ferries in Rosslare again for a short time.

Horizon will need a little bit of paintwork to remove the Holyhead fender marks and add them"Connecting" slogan to both sides of the hull.

Horizon will resume to Cherbourg on Tuesday. It's all on the Stena Line freight timetable...

giftgrub

Sorry, was assuming Horizon will pick up service on Tuesday but did not state it specify.

Was mentioning that Carrier, Horizon and Europe could all be together in Rosslare on Monday if Carrier does the return sailing tomorrow, I see this is scheduled (sometimes they make last minute changes to schedules).

Steven

Stena Carrier is to cover European Endeavour on the Dublin - Liverpool route.  See post in the P&O thread for the details
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Quote from: Steven on March 29, 2018, 03:24:40 PM
Stena Carrier is to cover European Endeavour on the Dublin - Liverpool route.  See post in the P&O thread for the details

Looks very well at the Rosslare anchorage, in the centre of Rosslare bay.

ferryfan

I just received a text from Stena stating that
From May 14th the 15:10 departure from Dublin Port (SFX) will be moved back to 14:50 with a new arrival time in Holyhead of 18:20.

giftgrub

Quote from: giftgrub on April 24, 2018, 10:15:53 PM
Did not see this coming

https://www.dfds.com/news-and-media/news/dfds-charters-new-ship-for-the-english-channel-in-2021

Will any E Flexer see a Stena Line service

Apparently DFDS are getting number 5 so other three can still arrive on Irish Sea

Niall

Brittany Ferries is also getting one, so Stena will only have 2 left.

RorieLen

Quote from: Niall on April 24, 2018, 11:13:17 PM

No... this was reported "CEO Per Westling at Stena RoRo says to Maritime magazine that the newbuilding to DFDS is the fifth ropax vessel in the series, that is, the first option declared.
- All newbuilds in the series have employment, three go to Stena Line, one to Brittany Ferries and one to DFDS."

SEA

Stena Carrier is due to berth in Dun Laoghaire for crew change over and Stores Monday and tuesday next week .

Collision-course

Quote from: RorieLen on April 25, 2018, 05:50:54 AM
Quote from: Niall on April 24, 2018, 11:13:17 PM

No... this was reported "CEO Per Westling at Stena RoRo says to Maritime magazine that the newbuilding to DFDS is the fifth ropax vessel in the series, that is, the first option declared.
- All newbuilds in the series have employment, three go to Stena Line, one to Brittany Ferries and one to DFDS."
Stena have an option of a further 4 E-Flexers on top of the first 4, the fact that that a 5th has been ordered means that if Stena can find long term charters for 3 more, or decide they want another 3 for longer term fleet replacement, then it is possible that 8 E-Flexers could be built.