Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: PaddyL on July 19, 2017, 09:59:01 PM
Quote from: hhvferry on July 15, 2017, 03:15:37 PM
The Stena Saga's route is now Stena's only real minicruise focussed-operation with relatively low freight demand. It is the only one which needs a proper, old fashioned cruise ferry so the Superfasts wouldn't really be suitable. Quite what would be is an interesting question - there aren't too many likely candidates around.

Ripe for life extension work!
Agree Paddy.

All indications are that VII and VIII will stay exactly where they are.  Though costly to run they have been successful vessels on the route, and the E-Flexers freight capacity would be wasted with North Channel freight volumes if anything declining rather than growing. Reverting them back to night boats would require significant investment as well.

In fleet news, Stena Mersey was out of service from Monday morning until her return last night for the overnight sailing to Birkenhead with a technical issue. 
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

ferryfan

Quote from: Steven on August 02, 2017, 07:24:33 PM
Quote from: PaddyL on July 19, 2017, 09:59:01 PM
Quote from: hhvferry on July 15, 2017, 03:15:37 PM
The Stena Saga's route is now Stena's only real minicruise focussed-operation with relatively low freight demand. It is the only one which needs a proper, old fashioned cruise ferry so the Superfasts wouldn't really be suitable. Quite what would be is an interesting question - there aren't too many likely candidates around.

Ripe for life extension work!
Agree Paddy.

All indications are that VII and VIII will stay exactly where they are.  Though costly to run they have been successful vessels on the route, and the E-Flexers freight capacity would be wasted with North Channel freight volumes if anything declining rather than growing. Reverting them back to night boats would require significant investment as well.

In fleet news, Stena Mersey was out of service from Monday morning until her return last night for the overnight sailing to Birkenhead with a technical issue.

Some talk of Superfast VII and VIII for Gothenburg-Frederikshavn as replacements for Stena Dancia and Jutlandica.

PaddyL

Quote from: ferryfan on August 11, 2017, 10:59:20 AM

Some talk of Superfast VII and VIII for Gothenburg-Frederikshavn as replacements for Stena Dancia and Jutlandica.

Shippax is speculating about this.  I doubt this will happen.

seaman

Quote from: PaddyL on August 11, 2017, 01:46:54 PM

My thoughts are more like this, doubt it myself but:
If Fishguard is getting a double linkspan and Stena Europe is getting a life extension as well as the Danica, that could mean Fishguard might be getting one of the Superfasts and that Stena would transfer the Europe to replace Jutlandica on the Göteborg-Frederikshavn, which the Jutlandica would sail along with the Stena Nautica if they will move the Grenå route further south to Halmstad due to the need of dropping the port of Varberg, because Stena Line did announce on social media that they might be putting a second ferry on that route if they will move away from Varberg

Exciting times ahead though

Matt73

Quote from: seaman on August 11, 2017, 10:39:28 PM
Quote from: PaddyL on August 11, 2017, 01:46:54 PM

My thoughts are more like this, doubt it myself but:
If Fishguard is getting a double linkspan and Stena Europe is getting a life extension as well as the Danica, that could mean Fishguard might be getting one of the Superfasts and that Stena would transfer the Europe to replace Jutlandica on the Göteborg-Frederikshavn, which the Jutlandica would sail along with the Stena Nautica if they will move the Grenå route further south to Halmstad due to the need of dropping the port of Varberg, because Stena Line did announce on social media that they might be putting a second ferry on that route if they will move away from Varberg

Exciting times ahead though

I agree.

I too have seen the Shippax article and speculation about the Superfasts.

Whilst onboard the Scandiavica in April, I was told that the Danica is to have a considerable sum spent on her to see her in service until at the least 2022, so I can think we can rule out a move for her for the time being; the officers there think she will finish her time where she started back in the early 80s. Why spend the money otherwise?  In addition, she was built specifically for the Frederikshavn route and is popular.  When I was in Gothenburg, she looked in wonderful condition and could almost have been brand new.  They really take care of their ships. 

Similarly, the Europe has and, I believe is, to have further monies spent on her to extend her life.  You don't do that if you're about to replace the ship and the Superfasts are too large for the Rosslare service; this point has been discussed endessly on this forum.  I would have thought that she is now too small to return to the Frederikshavn route, but am happy to be corrected!  I will believe the double-deck linkspan at Fishguard when I see it and that would also require one to be added to the berth at Rosslare.  Is there any money in the bank to improve Rosslare?

Stena will only place the new ships where they know there is sufficient market demand to fill them. 

It will be interesting to see which ship(s) emerge(s) for the new/old Halmstad route. 

Do we think that they will exercise the options to build further ships in China?  Given how cheap they are, comparatively, and the dearth of decent ships on the charter market, wouldn't it be a safe bet to build all eight?  After all, who could have predicted the Brittany Ferries interest? 

Matt

giftgrub

Stena RoRo's Stena Egeria, yes a Visentini has arrived in Piraeus, no news yet on its future deployment but was previously on charter to Yantai shipping in service between Korea and China, was also the first Stena passenger vessel to be refurbished in China and was in need off a major refurb when carried out, previously was Hoa Sen.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2719641

PaddyL

Quote from: giftgrub on August 18, 2017, 09:23:28 PM
Stena RoRo's Stena Egeria, yes a Visentini has arrived in Piraeus, no news yet on its future deployment but was previously on charter to Yantai shipping in service between Korea and China, was also the first Stena passenger vessel to be refurbished in China and was in need off a major refurb when carried out, previously was Hoa Sen.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2719641

Report on Ferries! Facebook group suggested  Albania - Italy ahead for her.

Steven

Danica and Europe are both said to have significant investment planned to extend their lives.  Danica is said to be in excellent condition, and Stena have invested way too much in Europe in recent years to not keep her going a while longer. 

The E-Flexers are simply too big for Cairnryan - why would Stena put vessels with 50%+ more vehicle capacity on to a route which can't fill the current capacity?  Its pretty much certain now that E-Flexer 3 is going to Brittany Ferries, something that was confirmed in an article on the shippax website based on an interview with Brittany Ferries (see below).  Birkenhead on the other hand could do with the extra capacity now, and unless something major changes 1 and 2 look definite to go there.  The lack of anything from Stena about the 4 all new builds going to Belfast, despite plenty of opportunity to say so, says a lot! 

Like Matt I will believe in a double level linkspan at Rosslare and Fishguard (as whats the point in having one at one port and not the other) when I see them!  The only reason to use twin level loading is to improve turnaround times, something which doesn't appear to be an issue on the route at present.  Just because it is there doesn't mean both levels will be used in any case.  Jutlandica and Europe are very different vessels - remember Jutlandica is a Ropax and provides balance with Danica (and greater freight capacity than either Danica or Europe).  I really can't see Stena going backwards by deploying such an elderly (and small by modern standards) vessel on the Fredrikshavn route - Danica is a very special case built specifically for the route and much loved by the locals.  As for either VII or VIII going to Fishguard, THEY HAVE SIX PASSENGER CABINS (suites)!  Moving either vessel to Fishguard would require major expenditure, an investment that unfortunately would never be earned back.  In any case, they are too big.

As for the Shippax speculation of VII and VIII going to Gothenburg, I find that highly doubtful. They are far from ideal for that route.  As I said before, all indications are that they will remain exactly where they are.  Even shippax are now suggesting so (see below).

Anyway,

QuoteBrittany Ferries confirms charter of Chinese-built E-Flexer from Stena

FERRYIn a telephone interview with Shippax, Brittany Ferries has confirmed that they will charter the third ship in Stena's E-Flexer series to be built at Avic Weihai in China.

"We have signed a five-year bareboat charter agreement with an option to extend the charter or purchase the ship," Christophe Mathieu, Brittany Ferries' CEO, told Shippax.

In Stena's typical 'can-do philosophy', the 927-passenger ship will be tailored to Brittany Ferries' needs and will get extra cabins, although the 3,100-lanemetre intake will be retained.

"Stena was willing to make modifications to the accommodation and adapt the ship to our requirements," Mr Mathieu added. "The ship will get a typical Brittany Ferries touch but it is unknown who will be in charge of the interior design."

Although built as gas-ready, Brittany Ferries decided to install scrubbers on the newbuilding. The 212m by 27.8m ro-pax will replace the DFDS-owned BAIE DE SEINE, the charter of which expires in April 2019 with no option to have it prolonged.

Yard delivery of the Stena ro-pax is expected in early fall 2020, i.e. about 1.5 year after the BAIE DE SEINE will have been handed back to DFDS. As a stopgap solution, Brittany Ferries might replace BAIE DE SEINE by NORMANDIE or ETRETAT. The latter ship is already on charter from Stena RoRo whereas NORMANDIE will be replaced on the Ouistreham (Caen)-Portsmouth route by the new HONFLEUR, due to be delivered from Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft in June 2019.

BAIE DE SEINE currently serves both Le Havre and Spain from Portsmouth, but Christophe Mathieu told Shippax that the new Stena ferry will serve Spain from Portsmouth, although no decision has yet been taken whether this will be Santander or Bilbao.

Stena ordered four E-Flexer-Class ro-paxes in April 2016 with an option for another four vessels. All four ships were initially earmarked to operate from the Belfast hub but Stena has meanwhile reviewed its plans and will take over the chartered Belfast-Cairnryan ferries STENA SUPERFAST VII and VIII from the AS Tallink Grupp in December.

This week construction has officially started with the steel cutting for the first E-Flexer which should be delivered in 2019.

© Shippax / Philippe Holthof
https://www.shippax.com/en/news/brittany-ferries-confirms-charter-of-chinese-built-e-flexer-from-stena.aspx
Im not sure why Shippax have decided to speculate about ETRETAT though (or why the new editorial regime choses to speculate, its not even particularly well informed speculation e.g. the suggestion a fifth e-flexer had been ordered, so much), so far as I can remember BF have already said NORMANDIE will be running to Le Havre once relieved by HONFLEUR.  That ETRETAT is on charter from Stena is a coincidence, Stena charter out lots of vessels after all.

Steven

Theres a new St Columba  :o ;D

LEADING ferry company Stena Line has invested in a new pilot boat to be used at Holyhead Port. The boat was built by Holyhead Marine Services Ltd to a design created by Camarc Design and will be used by Stena Line for pilotage operations in and out of the Port of Holyhead.

The pilot boat is 13 metres in length with a max speed of over 27 knots and will be used to transfer up to four pilots and two crew members to and from ships that are entering and leaving the Port of Holyhead.

Captain Wyn Parry, Stena Line's Irish Sea South Ports Manager said: "We're delighted that our acquisition of the new pilot boat in Holyhead has allowed us to invest in and support the local economy. It was important for Stena Line to try and support the local maritime industry where possible and we are delighted with the design and build quality that Holyhead Marine Services have been able to provide for us. The new pilot boat will prove essential to the daily operations of the port in terms of embarking and disembarking the ports pilots safely on and off the ships they help guide into and out of the harbour."

Nick Colin York, Managing Director of Holyhead Marine Services Ltd commented: "We're very proud of the hard work that has gone into the building and design of the new pilot boat. It features a resiliently mounted wheelhouse which will give crew a comfortable and quiet working environment and a Popsure fender system which will add to the safety of operations as it spreads impact loads over a large area."

"This craft is a welcome addition to Holyhead Marine's portfolio of composite pilot boats designed by Camarc Design and has extended the existing range to include this smaller and more economic model. In keeping with maritime tradition, the Port Authority has christened the new boat and called it St Columba," added Nick.

For more information on Stena Line go to www.stenaline.co.uk

Steven

Steel cutting for the E-Flexer's started today

giftgrub

The Stena Europe and Fishguard harbour featured in BBC One Tv drama Casualty last night, pretending to be a French ferry port.  One exterior shot of the Europe and the rest filmed at the check-in area of the port.

Casualty is filmed in the BBC Cardiff studios.

Ian Brazil

As regarding the chartered Stena Horizon.  Can anyone tell me who is crewing her is it a Italian crew or a mix of Stena line crew?  As she is flying a Italian flag.

ferryfan

Adventurer is running late again this morning, she was running late earlier in the week but had made the time up, explanation on website for todays delay is due to "earlier schedule disruptions". Any info?

TC

I was on that sailing myself. Arrived at check-in and told running 30 minutes behind schedule. Departure was at 9.00. Arrival in Holyhead was 12:20.

It took the best part of 45 minutes to clear Howth. It was very slow, she must have been making about 12 - 14 knots, finally getting to about 16.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I asked at Guest Services and apparently it was routine maintenance on the engines.