Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RorieLen

Nordica does indeed have a number of cabins for both passengers and crew. Many of the crew that were with the ship while she was covering on the Irish Sea routes were, infact, Latvian and she is their ship now as she will operate Travemunde (Germany) to Liepaja (Latvia) - a 27 hour crossing for which her cabins will come into good use!

Stena Adventurer had a medical emergency yesterday as far as I know, hence the odd passage she took and there were subsequent delays to her sailings last night as a result.

Steven

Quote from: RorieLen on March 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Nordica does indeed have a number of cabins for both passengers and crew. Many of the crew that were with the ship while she was covering on the Irish Sea routes were, infact, Latvian and she is their ship now as she will operate Travemunde (Germany) to Liepaja (Latvia) - a 27 hour crossing for which her cabins will come into good use!

Stena Adventurer had a medical emergency yesterday as far as I know, hence the odd passage she took and there were subsequent delays to her sailings last night as a result.
Also hearing there was a medical emergency on Adventurer yesterday.  I can confirm there we plenty of Latvian crew onboard (as well as local) Nordica while she was here.  I was very impressed with her crew, I must say.  I found them very helpful, attentive, constantly cleaning, and with excellent (albeit heavily accented) English.  It's a shame Nordica has been 'let go' a little (especially on the outside), but I guess that's what happens when a ship moves from place to place and operator to operator.  Hopefully now she has a permanent home (to which she should be well suited) she will get the TLC she deserves.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Davy Jones

Will Nordica, on her arrival or shortlly after, be getting her own dry docking and full stena livery?

RorieLen

Quote from: Davy Jones on March 29, 2017, 10:15:35 AM
Will Nordica, on her arrival or shortlly after, be getting her own dry docking and full stena livery?

She is due to start on the Travemunde - Liepaja route on Friday according to the Stena Line booking engine.

Steven

QuoteTallink Grupp
Company Announcement

Tallinn, 2017-07-12 19:01 CEST (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sale of the Superfast vessels

The subsidiaries of AS Tallink Grupp, Baltic SF VII Ltd and Baltic SF VIII Ltd have concluded the sale agreements with Stena Ropax Limited for M/S Stena Superfast VII (ex name Superfast VII) and M/S Stena Superfast VIII (ex name Superfast VIII). Value of the deal is 133.5 million euros. The vessels will be delivered to the buyer in December 2017. Until then vessels continue operations in the UK waters according to the charter agreements concluded in August 2011 by Stena Line Ltd.

The cash flow from the sale of the vessels will strengthen the group's financial position. The profit from the sale of the vessels is not significant to the consolidated results of AS Tallink Grupp.

Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Wow, did not see that coming, now makes rumours that one of the China Stena E Flexer is being chartered to Brittany Ferries and one earmarked to replace Superfast X seem to make sense.

As it stands rumours currently indicate Belfast Liverpool get two new ships, Belfast Cairnryan stay with VII AND VIII, Adventurer and new E Flexer on Dublin Holyhead and Superfast X sails south to replace Europe on Irish Sea, while France routes could be placed in hands of Mersey and Liverpool, with Horizon returned to owners. (Given potential of France routes with Brexit a daily service is possible)

Of course Stena have said all four new builds for Belfast, but nothing to stop them changing their minds !!

RorieLen

Stena Europe is to have significant life extension work carried out in early 2018 so will be around at Rosslare for a while yet...

Matt73

Quote from: RorieLen on July 13, 2017, 08:40:38 AM
Stena Europe is to have significant life extension work carried out in early 2018 so will be around at Rosslare for a while yet...

The same is true for the Danica out of Gothenburg. Whilst visiting the bridge of the Scandinavica in April one of the officers told me that significant funds were being made available to extend her life into the 2020s.

Matt

ferryfan

IOMSPCO are on the lookout for a vessel to replace both Ben my Chree and Arrow and a replacement for Manannan. They say they will invest £120 million in new vessels hardly buying new at that price maybe one of the Visenti sisters could end up here it would appear to fit the requirement of extra freight and passenger capacity.

Matt73

Quote from: giftgrub on July 12, 2017, 11:07:36 PM
Wow, did not see that coming, now makes rumours that one of the China Stena E Flexer is being chartered to Brittany Ferries and one earmarked to replace Superfast X seem to make sense.

As it stands rumours currently indicate Belfast Liverpool get two new ships, Belfast Cairnryan stay with VII AND VIII, Adventurer and new E Flexer on Dublin Holyhead and Superfast X sails south to replace Europe on Irish Sea, while France routes could be placed in hands of Mersey and Liverpool, with Horizon returned to owners. (Given potential of France routes with Brexit a daily service is possible)

Of course Stena have said all four new builds for Belfast, but nothing to stop them changing their minds !!

All,

I have been thinking about all of this today (perhaps a dangerous thing to have done!).  Clearly, some of you know more about these things than me, but is it absolutely certain that the superfasts will remain at Cairnryan just because they have been purchased outright?  Could they not be destined for other parts of the network, or be chartered to other operators?

For example, they were both night boats before their charter to Stena.  Stena Saga is another ship which is knocking on a bit; during my trip on the Scandinavica (referred to elsewhere in this thread) the officers there specifically referred to the Saga as needing to be replaced; we were discussing the announcement about the four E-Flexers had   Perhaps VII or VIII might find its way to Oslo?

In addition, given how cheap the E-Flexers appear to be, and the lack of vessels this size on the charter market, why not just build all eight? 

Where do we think that the Brittany Ferries chartered E-Flexer will go?  Replacement for Bretagne (no scrubbers fitted as yet)?

Just a thought and look forward to it being knocked down!

Matt

RorieLen

Quote from: ferryfan on July 14, 2017, 04:32:51 PM
IOMSPCO are on the lookout for a vessel to replace both Ben my Chree and Arrow and a replacement for Manannan. They say they will invest £120 million in new vessels hardly buying new at that price maybe one of the Visenti sisters could end up here it would appear to fit the requirement of extra freight and passenger capacity.

Not likely - at 186m long a Visentini would not fit in either Heysham or Douglas.

RorieLen

Quote from: Matt73 on July 14, 2017, 06:19:24 PM

All,

I have been thinking about all of this today (perhaps a dangerous thing to have done!).  Clearly, some of you know more about these things than me, but is it absolutely certain that the superfasts will remain at Cairnryan just because they have been purchased outright?  Could they not be destined for other parts of the network, or be chartered to other operators?

For example, they were both night boats before their charter to Stena.  Stena Saga is another ship which is knocking on a bit; during my trip on the Scandinavica (referred to elsewhere in this thread) the officers there specifically referred to the Saga as needing to be replaced; we were discussing the announcement about the four E-Flexers had   Perhaps VII or VIII might find its way to Oslo?

In addition, given how cheap the E-Flexers appear to be, and the lack of vessels this size on the charter market, why not just build all eight? 

Where do we think that the Brittany Ferries chartered E-Flexer will go?  Replacement for Bretagne (no scrubbers fitted as yet)?

Matt

Firstly, there is a school of thought that the previous announcement about 2 of the Stena E-Flexers going to Cairnryan was a ploy to aid in the negotiation with Tallink to buy Superfast VII and VIII. Secondly there is absolutley no need for ships with 3,100 lanemetres for the north channel.

The one Brittany Ferries are supposed to be chartering - is it not earmarked to replace Baie De Seine?

Matt73

Quote from: RorieLen on July 14, 2017, 08:03:57 PM
Quote from: Matt73 on July 14, 2017, 06:19:24 PM

All,

Matt

Firstly, there is a school of thought that the previous announcement about 2 of the Stena E-Flexers going to Cairnryan was a ploy to aid in the negotiation with Tallink to buy Superfast VII and VIII. Secondly there is absolutley no need for ships with 3,100 lanemetres for the north channel.

The one Brittany Ferries are supposed to be chartering - is it not earmarked to replace Baie De Seine?

I knew I would regret posting that! Makes sense thanks. Had forgotten about Baie de Seine.

hhvferry

The Stena Saga's route is now Stena's only real minicruise focussed-operation with relatively low freight demand. It is the only one which needs a proper, old fashioned cruise ferry so the Superfasts wouldn't really be suitable. Quite what would be is an interesting question - there aren't too many likely candidates around.

PaddyL

Quote from: hhvferry on July 15, 2017, 03:15:37 PM
The Stena Saga's route is now Stena's only real minicruise focussed-operation with relatively low freight demand. It is the only one which needs a proper, old fashioned cruise ferry so the Superfasts wouldn't really be suitable. Quite what would be is an interesting question - there aren't too many likely candidates around.

Ripe for life extension work!