Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RorieLen

I noticed while in Belfast this week that Stena Performer and Stena Precision have swapped places with Precision operating Birkenhead and Performer on Heysham services. A friend in the haulage industry said they were told it was to do maintenance work on Precision while she is still in service and on a less intensive schedule.

RorieLen

It looks as if Stena Line have been having some issues this week.

A friend in the haulage industry was told that Stena Hibernia was to be off service all week for planned maintenance while Stena Precision and Stena Performer maintaining Belfast-Heysham. The freight ship run on Belfast-Birkenhead is off due to the holidays in NI.

Stena Performer seems to have suffered an incident in Heysham harbour and is now waiting to enter dry dock at Cammell Laird. The Heysham route was in the hands of one ship until they could reactivated Hibernia today. It's a good job volumes are probably a bit lower this week because of the holiday but my friend says they still had to make alternative arrangements for a few loads.

VSFXX

SFX had two cancelled sailings on Sun 7th Aug - 8.55am Holyhead and 15.10 Dublin

Adventurer had a delayed departure of 2.5hrs on Sunday afternoon at Holyhead. SFX blocked a berth so Adventurer had to wait for Ulysses to berth before docking

There were then approx 1400 passengers on board for a delayed return crossing from Dublin picking up usual load + passengers off the cancelled 15.10

It was feared that SFX would have to be drydocked at one point but the technical issue was resolved

HSS

Quote from: VSFXX on August 09, 2016, 01:34:03 AM
SFX had two cancelled sailings on Sun 7th Aug - 8.55am Holyhead and 15.10 Dublin

Adventurer had a delayed departure of 2.5hrs on Sunday afternoon at Holyhead. SFX blocked a berth so Adventurer had to wait for Ulysses to berth before docking

There were then approx 1400 passengers on board for a delayed return crossing from Dublin picking up usual load + passengers off the cancelled 15.10

It was feared that SFX would have to be drydocked at one point but the technical issue was resolved

I heard about this, some unhappy customers I believe. What was the technical issue with SFX?

VSFXX

Quote from: HSS on August 09, 2016, 08:18:58 AM
Quote from: VSFXX on August 09, 2016, 01:34:03 AM

I heard about this, some unhappy customers I believe. What was the technical issue with SFX?

An issue with propellers, also, SFX was loaded for 8.55am crossing when cancelled

Not an easy situation for Stena crew on land/on board to deal with. I expect some passengers had time critical plans go up in smoke.

I think Adventurer had the busier time of it as passenger numbers exceeded planned staffing levels for two sailings and had to make up a 2.5hr delay to get back on schedule

VSFXX

20.30 Superfast X sailing is delayed tonight (Sunday). A problem with the Stena ramp, I think it is probably the lower ramp as SFX is currently moving berth.

If it was the upper ramp that was damaged we would have loaded through the lowerdeck and driven up.

Definitely port side ramp - not lowering properly to a flat position

Usual full sailing so we may be away by 10.30pm as loading will commence shortly.

Might have knock on effect for Adventurer later if fault is not fixed as she will have to wait for Ulysses

HSS

Quote from: VSFXX on August 21, 2016, 08:46:37 PM
20.30 Superfast X sailing is delayed tonight (Sunday). A problem with the Stena ramp, I think it is probably the lower ramp as SFX is currently moving berth.

If it was the upper ramp that was damaged we would have loaded through the lowerdeck and driven up.

Definitely port side ramp - not lowering properly to a flat position

Usual full sailing so we may be away by 10.30pm as loading will commence shortly.

Might have knock on effect for Adventurer later if fault is not fixed as she will have to wait for Ulysses

Thanks for the info, very useful for us who are regularly traveling with Stena via Holyhead.

Steven

Shippax have reported that there was a lorry fire onboard Stena Spirit this morning, around 30 mins before she was due to arrive at Gdynia.  The fire was detected early and successfully extinguished by the crew.  As a precaution passengers where evacuated to the sun deck.  As a result she is expected to be off service until tomorrow.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

seaman

Stena Spirit is off until 6th, was supposed to travel with the Vision yesterday evening but was asked if I wanted to sail with it during the morning instead from Karlskrona to Gdynia, covering Friday's spirit sale from Gdynia during the evening the same day.

Stena Vision is however a rust bucket on the outside now, will need a proper refit soon, think that it will be the 30th anniversary for her, still having the "Making good time" logo there yet.

Steven

Steno's 4 (+4) order from AVIC Weihai are to be powered by dual Caterpillar MaK 12m43C engines.  Caterpillar will also supply gearboxes plus 2 x MPP1500F controllable pitch propellers and two MPP1410F controllable pitch propellers.  The propellers can be feathered in order to enable single screw operation if required.

IIRC these are the engines used in Tallinn's 'Star', and are the 12 cylinder version of those used in Ulysses.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Matt73

One of Stena Britannica's propeller shafts is out of action.  More details here:

shippingtv.co.uk/?p=3750 

She needed tug assistance to berth.

For those of you who are technically minded, why would this have happened and how do they fix it?

Thanks.

Matt

Kieran

Quote from: Matt73 on September 12, 2016, 06:10:34 PM
For those of you who are technically minded, why would this have happened and how do they fix it?

How it would have happened, any number of reasons (someone else might be able to explain them better than me!), could be anything from the shaft between the gearbox and the prop, to the parts that control the variable pitch propeller. As with all machines, things break over time....

To fix, she'd have to be dry docked for a few days.

Happened to the Pont Aven over the summer too...

Matt73

Quote from: Kieran on September 12, 2016, 07:29:02 PM
Quote from: Matt73 on September 12, 2016, 06:10:34 PM

How it would have happened, any number of reasons (someone else might be able to explain them better than me!), could be anything from the shaft between the gearbox and the prop, to the parts that control the variable pitch propeller. As with all machines, things break over time....

To fix, she'd have to be dry docked for a few days.

Happened to the Pont Aven over the summer too...

Thanks Kieran.  I would also be grateful if somebody could explain (in Janet and John terms) how the variable pitch propellers are controlled from the consoles on the bridge.  Is it just a case of moving the combinator levers forward and aft, or are additional buttons pressed? 

Matt

ferryfan

Removal of HSS linkspan and associated components at berth 5 St Michael's Pier Dun Laoghaire has been completed. Berth no 4 is now the only berth left in the harbour with a linkspan.
The barge used in the dismantling is now being prepared for tow next stop Holyhead.

Davy Jones

Are Belfast and Stranraer still intact?