Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwt.nsf

Oh I see they've taken the wind turbines off the bow.

Computb

Hi giftgrub, All 4 waterjets are still in place, i dbl checked as i seen an earlier post and thought i wud just have a nosey while i was on my weekend trip. Mind you i wudnt like the task of removing them as it wud be hard where she sits at the minute.

The water jets haven't been removed, there still in place. I was on sf7 yesterday and today and seen them while boarding

Not sure if all the water jets were removed, there have definitely been major components removed and one complete waterjet unit has been seen in Holyhead recently.

As for the Stena Flavia's new paint job, one assumes that any rebranding work will be carried out while the ship is in port as they only drydocked the vessel for a week, they probably ran out of time to put the name on the ship, or it could be up for charter and may not be rebranded at all.

The paint job is very similar to the Norman Asturias (another Stena ro ro ship).

There are reports on FONE that Stena Line are about to undergo a major transformation to a "low cost ferry operator"  whatever that will mean and this is accompanied by rumours of a major new build programme to replace many of the their ageing and expensive to run vessels for a common design that can be modified (during the build phase) for use on different routes, obviously these are rumours at the moment and based on a long term plan over the next 10-15 years.

giftgrub

The windy weather has again caused Stena to cancel sailings of the Stena Europe while the Isle of Inishmore sails on regardless.

One wonders what effect this distinct lack of reliability is having on bookings on the Rosslare - Fishguard route, also the amount of money Stena are paying Irish Ferries to carry their customers on the southern corridor cannot be helping the routes profitability and does the Europe have a technical issue restricting its ability to sail in high winds ?

Are we about to see a joint operation (code sharing in airline terminology) on the Rosslare route similar to the cooperation between Sealink and B&I in the Eighties ?

FerryMan

Ex Dublin Adventurer cancelled @ 21.15hrs & ex Holyhead 02.30hrs as well, Ulysses sailed ex Dublin
Ferry Master

bfm003

After the incident in Rosslare the Europe now has a wind restriction on her in Rosslare, that's why she is cancelling a lot more frequently now.

bfm003

QuoteEx Dublin Adventurer cancelled @ 21.15hrs & ex Holyhead 02.30hrs as well, Ulysses sailed ex Dublin

Good old Ulysses!!

Caoimhin_McGuinnes

I'm On ulysses at the minute guys ! Pretty rough .. Could fall out of the bed in the cabin but sure yeahh !! Shes rough i can tell you that !

I'm in a lorry btw and they chained the lorrys down well  .. Most  times when its not rough they dont really bother chaining them down !

Keep safe out there .. Hopefully captain will go full speed to Maintain full comfort and will arrive inn holyhead at 0020hrs as scheduled :D Night ! im going to go to bed now !

giftgrub

Not sure if this is a real picture (non photoshopped), but first image I have found of the former Stena Baltica as the Snav Adriatico in full SNAV livery.

http://www.naviearmatori.net/ita/foto-180737-1.html

FerryMan

QuoteI'm On ulysses at the minute guys ! Pretty rough .. Could fall out of the bed in the cabin but sure yeahh !! Shes rough i can tell you that !

I'm in a lorry btw and they chained the lorrys down well  .. Most  times when its not rough they dont really bother chaining them down !

Keep safe out there .. Hopefully captain will go full speed to Maintain full comfort and will arrive inn holyhead at 0020hrs as scheduled :D Night ! im going to go to bed now !

Must have seen you at check in, knowing the master on duty tonight he will try his best to arrive in HHD on time  :D ;)

Ferry Master

FerryMan

QuoteAfter the incident in Rosslare the Europe now has a wind restriction on her in Rosslare, that's why she is cancelling a lot more frequently now.

Any idea what the wind restriction is for Europe in Rosslare now?

Ferry Master

mrwt.nsf

I think it's a real photo griftgrub, as ferry companies won't photoshop a picture with another ferry, from another ferry line, in the foreground.

Fast Ferry Fan

One wonders what effect this distinct lack of reliability is having on bookings on the Rosslare - Fishguard route, also the amount of money Stena are paying Irish Ferries to carry their customers on the southern corridor cannot be helping the routes profitability and does the Europe have a technical issue restricting its ability to sail in high winds ?

Are we about to see a joint operation (code sharing in airline terminology) on the Rosslare route similar to the cooperation between Sealink and B&I in the Eighties ?

A code share would suggest mutual contribution to the growth of passenger traffic on the route.  In this case, it's just Stena giving IF extra revenue, extra passengers, and a free opprotunity to sample the competition's offering.

With the Adventurer, Nordica and Europe all out of action this evening, Stena really need to get their Irish Sea ships and thrusters sorted out.  After the lack of awareness of what was happening at ground level shown in Undercover Boss, I wonder if the same might be happening here.

larry

It has reached a point now where it can only be called silly, stena line have a lot of ships at their disposal but continue to use an unsuitable ship on this route, much as i love the europe i think the time is here for a change

bfm003

QuoteAfter the incident in Rosslare the Europe now has a wind restriction on her in Rosslare, that's why she is cancelling a lot more frequently now.

Any idea what the wind restriction is for Europe in Rosslare now?

No, sorry. I just heard all the ships had to tell port control the maximum wind speeds that they could safely operate.

bfm003

QuoteI'm On ulysses at the minute guys ! Pretty rough .. Could fall out of the bed in the cabin but sure yeahh !! Shes rough i can tell you that !

Must have seen you at check in, knowing the master on duty tonight he will try his best to arrive in HHD on time  :D ;)

Ferryman, I wonder who you are!!!! ;D ;D ;D