Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayes.tony

@Matt73: Have to agree with you although i must say I am a big fan of the Europe, just find it a nicer place to spend a crossing, there is something very cold or something about the interior of the inishmore. Anyway I just think at this stage it must be starting to hurt Stena, if I was booking in the morning I would book the Inishmore just for peace of mind.

The problem with Investment in the route is the level of risk There were already much higher traffic levels on north irish sea, the decision to overhaul the route (well at least the building of loch ryan) was taken prior to the monetary fiasco we are now in. Stena had committed a lot of money to Loch Ryan so the investment in the Superfasts made sense to gain a return on the overall investment. I just cant see a boardroom taking a decision in the present climate to order such a capital investment on the Fishguard works and a new vessel. That is just my view.

Most likely they would adopt cautious approach of if a good 2nd hand ship comes along at the right money and they have a customer for the Europe then the change will be made.

There are guys on here that know a lot more about this than me so I would love to hear their views.

Just as an aside do you know if the Normandy ever have much trouble berthing at Rosslare?

@Collision:
God the Copenhagen and Berlin are two "interesting" looking ships.... There is a good discussion with Scandlines management about the problems with the ships and the termination of the contract on the magazone link Giftgrub put up the other day.

giftgrub

I think its fair to say that the majority of people on this site are ferry enthusiasts and that everyone wants to see all ferry routes succeed and I also think it would be fair to say that we are all very positive fans of all the ferry companies in Ireland, however after studying the operation of the Rosslare-Fishguard route since it was taken over by Stena Line in the early 90's I think it would be fair to say, they haven't exactly done a great job with the route.

When Stena took over the route it was served by the Felicity and was the second most profitable route in the entire Stena/Sealink network, served by a luxurious cruise ferry with back up freight vessels, since then they replaced the Felicity with the Koningin Beatrix a vessel whilst quite opulent was unsuitable for the route with its low freight capacity, poor manoeuvring capability and also its high crewing requirements (ironically when rebuilt while Stena Baltic converted to double deck loading and the thrusters were upgraded), this was then replaced in 2002 by the Stena Europe which had quite a revamp in the passenger areas before its introduction.

Since the introduction of the Stena Europe it has been maintained on the route with further passenger area upgrade but now in obviously in need of replacement.

Also since Stena took over the level of investment in Fishguard has been very limited, there is no modern wide linkspan to allow rapid discharge from the stern which even the much maligned Rosslare Harbour can offer. This restricts the type of vessel that can be deployed to cover /replace the Stena Europe.

It does appear that Stena Line need to either invest in the route which is a very viable proposition as fresh tonnage will offer an improved passenger experience which they can market on its newness alone, perhaps a major timetable shake up, allowing rail/sail connections, bring back day trips, 48 hr weekend breaks, shopping expeditions to Cardiff etc.

From my own very limited knowledge this is what I think the Rosslare route requires:

New Linkspan – Fishguard – if the proposed Conygar investment ever happens it will be too late, they need to act now to improve the route, and waiting 2/3 years will not work.

New vessel – possibly something like Stena Lagan/Mersey – cost effective, modern comfortable, fuel efficient, fast. Can never see them putting a newbuild on the route.

Possible revised timetable – maybe swap times with Irish Ferries – Rosslare could prosper with alternate crossing times throughout the day improving customer choice and flexibility.

New local marketing – Day trips/48 hr tickets/ shopping trips/ non landing cruises etc

Refit Period: always provide cover through replacement vessel

Maximise the use of the great staff they have and the huge amount of goodwill that they have built up over the years.

With a new vessel with greater freight capacity, increases viability of route, will migrate some freight traffic out of Dublin to Rosslare, surely all freight does not need to go out of Dublin.

Just in case there is any misconception I actually love travelling on the Stena Europe as I find the massive amount of uncluttered outside deck space to be great, I find the passenger areas very nicely laid out and comfortable, the Stena Plus is fabulous (but it is really any better than what was there before the refit lost a little bit of charm) the bar area is huge and can take quite a lot of passengers when watching a match. plenty of space for people to relax, and finally the crew are always very nice and accommodating. Biggest negative is the stairwells and the queue for the car decks when docking.

Niall

The Conygar development at Fishguard doesn't include the Port area.

giftgrub

Hi Niall, not sure about that the Conygar investment for Fishguard includes a massive 19 acre increase in standing area for ferry traffic, a major freight park (11 acres) on the outskirts of Fishguard for parking and distribution centres and originally included proposals for a new berth at an angle to the existing quay wall.

http://www.conygar.com/Project/Fishguard/4

http://www.conygar.com/News/FishguardPlanningApplication/44

http://www.conygar.com/News/PlanningConsentAchievedForFishguard/52

If it ever happens it will be an interesting development.

giftgrub

Ironically the central corridor vessels have had a battering in todays stormy weather with all three Stena vessels serving Holyhead suffering cancellations.

http://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/21230-stena-line-hss-fast-craft-sailings-cancelled

HSS

Looks like Adventurer was hanging around at Holyhead for quite a while today waiting for Nordica & the weather?

Fast Ferry Fan

How come the Nordica did not run its daytime sailings today - surely as a conventional ship it can hold its own against a bit of bad weather?

I'm in agreement about the layout of the Europe being quite good including the outside space.  However, I'd be nervous about traveling back into Rossslare on a windy day.  Rosslare needs a massive revamp too.  I did complete a questionnaire for Stena about a year ago about the possibility of changing sailing times, but nothing ever came of it.

Niall

As far as I am aware there are no plans to construct a new berth at Fishguard at present, nor are there plans to upgrade the existing linkspan. Such a pity really as Fishguard deserves to be treated better by Stena. As for Rosslare the facilities there are a complete joke.

20knots

I too enjoy travelling on the Stena Europe and will be sad to see her go though accept that she'll likely have to go sooner or later. A friend said to me possibly her engines could be upgraded to meet the new (sulphur emission?) requirements.

There are a few seats near some of the stairs which are a nice spot for a half an hour if one wants to get away from the mainstream areas (or if one wants to go out on deck/keep an eye out but doesn't want to stay out on deck continuously).

In recent weeks there has been work at Fishguard on both the foot passenger gangway and the side car ramp. Not sure if it's finished yet but us footies (foot passengers) were bussed off/on when I travelled a few weeks ago.

Sail and rail works well at Fishguard due to the terminal having the ship at one side and train the other. Plus train services required by franchise to actually connect! If the new berth is built I presume they'll have a covered indoor walkway linking the Harbour station to the berth - the distance probably would be very similar to that at Rosslare between the terminal and ship.

In my view an efficient port is one which can juggle competing user needs without making any one group of users feel unwanted/ a burden (i.e. freight/truckers; motorists and foot passengers). The new berth plan at Fishguard seems to tick all three boxes in a positive way.

Personally I would like to see Stena going for a revised sailing schedule in the medium term but ideally all needs to happen at once - new vessel, upgraded/new port facilities, new schedule. Not doubting that it wouldn't be a structured plan but very important that every last thing is done to maximise the investment and make it a real success including better rail connections at Rosslare.

Incidentally that survey about possible sailing schedule changes suggested two options:
the first:
Rosslare to Fishguard at 08.30 & 19.00.;
Fishguard to Rosslare at 13:45 & 00:00 (the midnight sailing would give passengers an option to stay in their cabin for six hours)
the other option was:
Rosslare to Fishguard at 02.30 and 16.00 (the 02.30 sailing would give passengers an option to stay in their cabin for six hours)
Fishguard to Rosslare: 10.45 & 21.00

Being able to get the guts of a normal night's sleep onboard will be appealing to truckers, motorists and sail and rail passengers.
First option looks best in my view. A 02.30 sailing ex Rosslare doesn't seem appealing, would require the port facilities to open at that time and would be unlikely to have any train or bus in the middle of the night.

By the way, does anyone know why:
* the 21.15 sailing ex Rosslare was advanced to 21.00 back in 2011?
* the 21.00 is shown as just taking 3 1/4 hrs as opposed to the 3 1/2 hrs for all the other sailings?
(Have no complaint or issue - just curious!)

Niall

Do you know what work on the foot passenger gangway has been done at Fishguard in recent weeks?

20knots

Don't know what work exactly though four weeks is a significant amount of time so am inclined to think quite a lot of work has taken place.

The flyer I picked up refers to "essential Port maintenance" taking place on 17th Feb for approx. 4 weeks.

It also refers to the side-loading ramp and gangway being inoperable.

Niall

Hopefully they did away with the mobile crane to lift the foot pasenger gangway. I presume the gangway has been fitted with proper hydraulics making use of the crane redundant.

bfm003

Stena Adventurer cancelled her sailings today and stayed alongside in Dublin all day due to technical problems.
She is expected to be back on schedule for this evenings crossing.

Caoimhin_McGuinnes

Hi .. My name is Caoimhin .. My dad is a Lorry driver and use stena/Irishferries alot to holyhead .. so im a lorry enthusiast and a ferry enthusiast ...

Anyway ..

Just saw the Hss Explorer Doin 40knots on a public crossing to holyhead ... Doesnt it usually not do 25knots on public crossings ??

Niall

She is only restricted to 19 knots between South Burford buoy and Dun Laoghaire harbour mouth.