Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie74656

For me the design of the hss 900 has always looked a bit awkward when compared to the hss 1500. As to voyager, there was a tugboat en route last week if I recall but apparently wasn't for her yet. Not a big maritime expert, but do you guys expect no issues with the voyager being towed by just a small tug ? ( rough seas for example). Can't they make some sort of exception in terms of classification and have one jet operational? I'm sure one of the 4 still works?:p

giftgrub

pjamieson267

Any thoughts on the final destination for Stena Voyager to be scrap yet???? :-?

Niall

Your guess is as good as mine

HSS

I totally understand the economic side of things, but if Voyager is to be scrapped, what a sad end to such a great ship, but the truth is, nobody wants them now.

giftgrub

The final destination for the Stena Voyager will possibly be as a soft drinks can in your fridge !!! as for where it will be dismantled and scrapped it will be in a Stena Metall owned facility more than likely in Sweden.

bfm003

The Stena Adventurer is back in Holyhead this afternoon.

pjamieson267

I know about Stena Adventurer was back on Dublin - Holyhead route but what about Stena Scotia? :-?

giftgrub

Stena Scotia has gone to the Med on a 3 month charter,  currently heading to Marseille expected to arrive on the 25th March according to Marinetraffic.

Reports from Sweden today that Stena Metall have purchased the Stena Voyager from Stena, there is no doubt now that it going to be scrapped.

Weather is having an effect on the Rosslare service with Stena Europe sailings cancelled tonight due to the weather and on Sunday for maintenance in Fishguard !!!!

From Ferrycheck "Due to severe gales the 2100hrs from Rosslare 21st March 2013 is cancelled. Passengers are advised to contact Stena Line to make alternative arrangements. Please call 00353 5391 61567."

All passengers presumably transferred to Irish Ferries as the Inishmore is sailing. Obviously the Stena Europe's two weeks in H&W Belfast have not improved its ability to handle high winds, one of the essential requirements for a vessel operating on the southern corridor.

Nice image of the Europe leaving Fishguard here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wdig/8469583965/in/photostream/

bfm003

After the incident in Rosslare with the Europe hitting the Oscar,  wind restrictions have been put on all the vessels, so obviously tonight is too much for the Europe.

pjamieson267

QuoteStena Scotia has gone to the Med on a 3 month charter,  currently heading to Marseille expected to arrive on the 25th March according to Marinetraffic.

Reports from Sweden today that Stena Metall have purchased the Stena Voyager from Stena, there is no doubt now that it going to be scrapped.

Weather is having an effect on the Rosslare service with Stena Europe sailings cancelled tonight due to the weather and on Sunday for maintenance in Fishguard !!!!

From Ferrycheck "Due to severe gales the 2100hrs from Rosslare 21st March 2013 is cancelled. Passengers are advised to contact Stena Line to make alternative arrangements. Please call 00353 5391 61567."

All passengers presumably transferred to Irish Ferries as the Inishmore is sailing. Obviously the Stena Europe's two weeks in H&W Belfast have not improved its ability to handle high winds, one of the essential requirements for a vessel operating on the southern corridor.

Nice image of the Europe leaving Fishguard here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wdig/8469583965/in/photostream/

I was right Stena Scotia is charted and heading to Marseille I hope and which Stena Scotia a best of luck for the next three month. :)

giftgrub

Nice image of the Mecklenburg Vorpommern in full livery

hayes.tony

Is it me or is this thing with the Europe getting beyond a joke??.....

If the Inishmore wasn't so under utilised would the pressure have been on Stena a long time ago to get it sorted?

Matt73

QuoteIs it me or is this thing with the Europe getting beyond a joke??.....

If the Inishmore wasn't so under utilised would the pressure have been on Stena a long time ago to get it sorted?

Couldn't agree more. I've posted several times that I think the Europe is too long in the tooth and that Fishguard is the poor relation to the other routes, which I have had considerably more investment in tonnage over the last ten years. I know that the Europe has been well looked after and that the interior has been refurbished, but sooner or later she will have to go.

It's also clear that she is underpowered for berthing at Rosslare, or she wouldn't have hit the Oscar Wilde. The Innishmore appears to be a much more stable and better designed ship.

Stena RO/RO could easily source alternative tonnage, or even design a purpose built ship for the route.  Like the Superfasts to Belfast, new tonnage can bring new business to a route.  If you add to that the proposed redevelopment of Fishguard harbour, that's a fairly potent formula.  Stena have managed to achieve growth in very difficult economic times on both sides of the Irish Sea on other routes, so I don't see any reason why that couldn't happen here. Perhaps we should launch a campaign: "Replace the Europe".

Whilst I'm on the subject, a more suitable name would be in order.  How about Stena Preseli, or Normandica? Both names have been used before in BR days. 

Matt

Collision-course

Stena Line are said to be interested in buying the two cancelled newbuild ferries for Scandlines , they would be ideal replacements for Stena Europe and Stena Dancia if the purchase goes ahead.