Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DublinPeter

Bit of a shortage on the Dublin/DL to Holyhead corridor today.

The Swift was already cancelled for today and tomorrow due to the weather and of course Stena Scotia only does Monday to Friday which left Nordica (covering for Adventurer) and the HSS to take up the slack. 

Pretty full load waiting at Dun Laoghaire this afternoon for the 1600 HSS departure but you could see from the waves breaking on the East Pier that there was no way she could go anywhere and was cancelled at about 3.30 leaving some very cranky truckers and a large number of cars/foot passengers to either make their way to Dublin Port for the Nordica at 2115 or Rosslare for the Europe at 2100 (presuming that Europe can dock of course!).

Winds in the last hour from the East gusting at about 44 knots which is pretty hairy in Dublin bay.  I'd say the Nordica and Ulysses will be pretty busy tonight. I'm guessing that the HSS will wait for a break in the winds and head back to Holyhead later this evening/tonight.  Very unusual for her to get stuck in Dun Laoghaire - I think the winds picked up more than expected, earlier than expected.

Pete

DublinPeter

Night on the town in Dun Laoghaire for the Explorer crew tonight! They're going to stick where they are for tonight and skip the 1030 from Holyhead in the morning. Weather permitting, normal service resumes tomorrow at 1600 from Dun Laoghaire.

Pete

HSS

Well, that has not happened in a long time! But I would not be happy if I was booked on the HSS to come back to the UK today!

Robbie74656

the costs of having the crew stay there for the night and cancelling that morning sailing is probably cheaper than sailing the HSS back empty right?

Sometimes I do not understand why a big catamaran like the HSS is so sensitive to bad weather, isn't she supposed to have improved comfort and handling in rough seas due to her design?

HSS

Stena Line, not having a good time!

Fast Ferry Fan

QuoteWell, that has not happened in a long time! But I would not be happy if I was booked on the HSS to come back to the UK today!

Didn't airline type compensation come in at the end of last year, ie they'd have to put you up in hotels if delayed?

If you were a family intending to travel at 4pm on a Sunday back to the UK, and the next one is not til 9pm - you'd be pretty annoyed.  Depending how far from Holyhead you had to travel, I think I'd want to wait til the next day than end up driving in the middle of the night.

If the same crew were working tomorrow, there probably wasn't a huge window to go back in this evening.  Another option might have been setting off at 6am tomorrow if the winds were forcast to die down.

I presume the Nordica just wouldn't have had the capacity to cope with all the HSS passengers that would have wanted to travel this evening / tomorrow morning, and Stena may have had to transfer some to the Ulyses too?

shamrock_712

A few fantastic pics on flickr of the Europe rounding the Fishguard breakwater
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wdig/8464413119/
QuotePretty full load waiting at Dun Laoghaire this afternoon for the 1600 HSS departure but you could see from the waves breaking on the East Pier that there was no way she could go anywhere and was cancelled at about 3.30 leaving some very cranky truckers and a large number of cars/foot passengers to either make their way to Dublin Port for the Nordica at 2115 or Rosslare for the Europe at 2100 (presuming that Europe can dock of course!).

Looks like the Europe made it away from Rosslare, both it and the Inishmore are showing on Marinetraffic mid channel at the moment.

Collision-course

You'd nearly feel sorry for Stena alright , talk about worst possible time for a bad weather cancellation of the HSS , the HSS is a very sturdy vessel as Cats go , but the weather on the Irish Sea is quite bad tonight.

giftgrub

The stunningly beautiful Stena Nautica is being used for some unique day cruises to the Anholt wind farm ( a major connection with Ireland is the Wind Perfection former Julia is based at this wind farm)

http://www.windpoweroffshore.com/2013/03/07/offshore_wind_tourism_has_huge_potential_says_stena_line/#.UT-kCNbeWAk

http://www.dongenergy.com/anholt/EN/News/anholt_nyheder/News/Pages/AnholtOffshoreWindFarm-Newsletter-February2013.aspx

mrwt.nsf

Shame that the Stena Hibernia is going to be used again at Harwich. She's currently laid up in Lubeck at the moment.

giftgrub

Stena Hibernia like the Stena Scotia is no longer owned by Stena Line, they are owned by Stena RoRo and while that may seem like semantics they are different companies and operate with different management.

Does not mean they could not charter the Hibernia though.

While mentioning Stena RoRo, there are two vessels coming off charter soon, the Norman Asturias is supposed to finish its charter in the next 4/5 months and the Norman Voyager will finish its charter in January 2014, both are currently with DFDS/LD Lines and are similar to the Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey. Where will they go next ?

FerryMan

QuoteWell, that has not happened in a long time! But I would not be happy if I was booked on the HSS to come back to the UK today!

Didn't airline type compensation come in at the end of last year, ie they'd have to put you up in hotels if delayed

Regulation EU No. 1177/2010, which gives rights to passengers when they are travelling by sea or inland waters. This is to come into force in December 2012.

Passenger Rights Legislation – Summary of Compensation Requirements.

Cancelled Sailing Weather: Exempt from Compensation Claims but welfare costs apply as shown below

Delayed Sailing: Technical/ weather/extraordinary

or

Cancelled Sailing: Technical/ Weather/Extraordinary

Waiting Time:

Snacks, Meals or Refreshments

90 minutes or more and every 90 minutes thereafter.      e.g a light refreshment such as a bottle of water or a cup of tea. No alcohol.

4 hours or more      e.g the equivalent of a snack or light meal such as a sandwich or a bowl of soup.

8 hours or more      e.g the equivalent of a hot evening meal.

Every 4 hours thereafter As above; a snack or meal should be provided.

Refreshments.
The Regulations say that refreshments should be offered free of charge, in reasonable relation to the waiting time, provided that they are available or can reasonably be supplied.
If you  don't have any adequate facilities in the port, therefore you can making arrangements to provide this on board, shortly after boarding.
If they purchase any additional refreshments ashore, they should get receipts and submit this as part of any claim for payment of extra costs, to the company.

So no compensation due but welfare of snacks/meal drinks due to passengers.
Ferry Master

Fast Ferry Fan

Thanks for he clarification, Ferryman.  I have to say, I think that's very tame.  I recall back in December how the newspapers were saying that ferry passengers were to be given the same rghts as airline passengers.  It doesn't look like it to me.  I think if you're being forced to travel anti-social hours the least you could be offered is a cabin on the boat, and if you have children, the option of the next days sailing and a hotel bed.  Irish crossing fares are not cheap.

I hope everyone aboard the Oscar Wilde for an additional 24 hours yesterday was given a cabin to sleep in and food.

Noticed that the Finnarrow seems to be back for a few days after 16 March. Now there are 3.10pm and 4pm sailings out of Dublin / Dun Laoghaire.

giftgrub

The Finnarrow, while still in drydock in Greenock is expected back on the Dublin - Holyhead service later this week, all patched up under the waterline, but not a paintbrush appears to have touched the rest of the ship....

In other news the HSS Stena Voyager is expected to depart Belfast within the next week heading to recycling facility where it will be scrapped. As Stena own Stena Metall it is not a big leap to guess that it will be scrapped at a Stena Metall owned facility.

It is not expected to depart Belfast under its own power and will be towed to its final destination. Obviously relevant spare parts will be removed for use with the Stena Explorer and its departure will free up space in the Belfast VT4 area for some linkspan redevelopment, allowing the HSS berth to be converted for use by the Stena Lagan/Mersey.