Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie74656

for accuracy, the hss disocvery is not in venezula, but in the dutch island of Curacao (and has been for a while). I have done a quick check (I am Dutch) and it is still laid up there, as it is involved in a criminal investigation into its owner, who has transported illegal diesel in the ballast tanks. It will be relocated to another pier in the near future. It was also reported that the owner is still paying the harbour fees for now.  she looks like hell lol.

giftgrub

Hi Rob, Thanks for the update, learn something new everyday.

Images of the Discovery laid up in Curacao below from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HSS_Discovery_in_Curacao.jpg

and

Shipspotting.com

larry

on an unrelated note curacao is an absolutely beautiful island, a real paradise

larry

how come normandy was scrapped? seems quite young, same age as the europe too, does this indicate that the end could be in sight for the europe too

DublinPeter

Great photos Giftgrub, haven't seen any shots of her since she moved.  She really does look rough though, I can't imagine that she is in good shape mechanically either.

Did she ever enter revenue earning service in Venezuela or did the lack of linkspans stop her before she started?  Rob, from what you can gather is she likely to work again or will the legal knots and lack of a company that can run her lead to her demise?  A sad way to end up.

Pete

Robbie74656

Pete,

As far as I know, the HSS discovery has never sailed commercially since its time under Stena Line. Of course it was the worst business decision ever to buy the ship without the ability to dock it, right?

After a few years doing nothing, she sailed to curaçao to attract capital for repairs. However, in addition, the 'owner' decided it was a good business proposition to smuggle 360.000 litres of diesel to the port in 9 tanks (probably the tanks used to get her to Venezuela from Belfast). Without having declared it, 240.000 litres disappeared, probably sold off. The ship has been laid up since pending the legal procedings against the owner.

Technically, I think I read somewhere that two of her jets are inoperative. This is also how she made it to curacao (only two functioning, see picture). Also attached another picture of her poor state. I think she won't be capable of much any more of this keeps up.

Sorry for the big first picture, no idea how to downscale it.

Also, what the heck happened to the HSS' rear?

DublinPeter

Great pictures again Rob, thanks!

It's just really odd seeing her tied up at anywhere other than a HSS Linkspan.  I'm guessing the black mess on the rear is down to a neighbouring vessel while she was in Venezuela rather than a fire!

The story about the smuggled diesel really is incredible stuff but sadly seems to match in with her fortunes since she arrived there.  Interestingly, her AIS is functioning again and has her with a new arrival time in Caracao (I'm guessing at the main port rather than where she is now) of November 24th.  Yet another chapter to be written it seems!

Pete

giftgrub

There are more images of the Discovery on Page 19 of this thread. The black area at the stern has been caused by the onboard diesel generators exhausting underneath at the back of the vessel, not any fire damage.

some shaky camcorder footage of the vessel laid up here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSs6VPzlkwY

giftgrub

Confirmation that the Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey are to undergo further modifications to improve the onboard passenger experience has been posted on the Figura website.

http://www.figura.com/Figura/news.html

We are currently working on some projects for Stena Line. The Mersey and Lagan had a facelift in the forward area early this year and has been very succesful. We are now continuing with the mid area and are implementing a Barista and Living Room concept.

Stena Line took over the Scandlines ships on the Trelleborg route and we are implementing the Strena concepts on that route.

Hopefully they will handle this part of the refit better than the featured refit in the Undercover Boss programme !

Two impressive images from Marinetraffic.com

maehara

Have to say, those ships look far better in the Stena livery than they ever did in the old Norfolk Line colours...

giftgrub

Yes, amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do to the look of a  ferry.

As December approaches its time to consider the forthcoming refits for the Stena Line Irish Sea fleet.

As already mentioned the HSS Stena Explorer is in first on December 3rd for a two week refit prior to resuming service for the Christmas season on the Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead route.

Stena Europe will normally refit in January - Nothing Confirmed.
Stena Lagan and Stena Mersey - Nothing Confirmed
Stena Superfast VIII & VII are expected to refit in February.(VIII first and the VII following)
Stena Adventurer & Stena Nordica - Nothing Confirmed

Given that Stena have 3 freight vessels laid up, it is possible that the Stena Scotia, Stena Hibernia or Stena Carrier could provide cover for the refit period allowing one of the passenger vessels to provide cover on the routes that need passenger capacity.

For Example - Substitute freight vessel for either the Lagan or Mersey and allow one of them to cover the Superfasts, Europe and Nordica/Adventurer refits or substitute Nordica and allow it to cover the Superfasts, Europe refits. All depends on bookings for the respective routes but would be interesting to see the Lagan/Mersey on the Rosslare route for a few weeks.

Matt73

"Hopefully they will handle this part of the refit better than the featured refit in the Undercover Boss programme !"

Couldn't agree more!  I suspect a refurbished crew area will also be part of this refit. If you recall, Gunnar Blomdahl was pretty appalled they had spent all the money on the passenger areas and the crew quarters looked like a slum!

Matt

Matt73

Obscure question of the week:

Does anyone know of, or have, any pictures/videos of the current Stena Hollandica/Britannica doing the 180 degree turn off the Harwich International berth, please?

If you go on youtube there are some great videos of the Hollandica turning off the berth at the Hook of Holland, but I haven't found any similar ones at Harwich. I suspect it's because it is very difficult to photograph/film unless you are at Shotley, on the other side of the river Stour. 

Similarly, any of Koningin Beatrix would be great.  I tried to take one years ago, but my zoom lens wasn't good enough to take a picture from Ha'penny pier.

Thanks.

Matt

giftgrub

The Stena Hibernia is in the Baltic and according to marine traffic comencing service on Helsingborg - Travemunde, I assume it has been chartered as Stena do not operate on this route.

Could be charted to this shipping company:

http://www.sollines.se/

Very nice image of the Stena Baltica at lay up in Lysekil, Sweden on the link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hjakse/8085340704/

giftgrub

The accident report in relation to the Stena Feronias collison with the Union Moon has been published. It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.maib.gov.uk/publications/investigation_reports/2012/stena_feronia_and_union_moon.cfm

Interesting reading...