Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scomac

Adventurer will take over from Estrid for the 0230 sailing which will allow Estrid to take over from Horizon on the 0855 sailing ex Holyhead.

jgf

Adventurer suffered a delay leaving Dublin this morning departed nearly 2 hrs late.

ferryfan

A83

When does she head back to her normal duties?

scomac

Shes in isolation for 14 days

jgf

As mentioned Stena Horizon is still in quarantine due to a number of Covid 19 cases among the crew.
Stena Estrid seems to have gone technical on arrival in Dublin last night not leaving until this afternoon. I am only seeing this now after the fact how did Adventurer dock in Dublin ?

scomac

They moved Estrid to a different berth.

jgf

ferryfan

Horizon back in Holyhead this afternoon maybe collecting the crew? Also visiting Holyhead today on sea trial is the Sir David Attenborough (forever boatymcboatface)

giftgrub

Stena Horizon finally on the way back to Rosslare to replace Stena Vinga on Cherbourg route from Saturday, delayed due to reports of COVID among crew.

Stena Vinga expected to take over from Stena Europe which is going to H&W Belfast for a drydock ahead of schedule, normal tlc to be done along with reported steel deck replacement on deck 5 (in typical Swedish style Vinga is cashless onboard (as is nearly entire city of Stockholm) so have a card if travelling.

The former Stena Egeria (Kerry) has left Santander on the way to the Baltic to provide refit cover for DFDS.

Stena Embla handed over in Weihei and expected to leave for Ireland/ UK next week where it will replace Stena Mersey on Belfast Birkenhead (although for how long it will serve on this route is subject to random rumours it has been offered to Marine Atlantic for their new vessel prompted by its increased ice class specification)

ferryfan

Stena Vinga sailed to Fishguard this afternoon (empty I think) due to take over fro Stena Europe from the 23.45 to Rosslare tonight.

jgf

Stena Vinga took over Rosslare Fishguard as per schedule last night but has been delayed today due to a medical emergency, I hope everyone is ok. This evenings/tonight's scheduled sailings from Rosslare and Fishguard have been cancelled.

giftgrub

Hope all ok on Vinga.

As Stena Europe has entered dry dock at H&W Belfast today, here is a link for a short video reminder of its time in Turkey.

https://youtu.be/b-u7KKQoq88

While the Europe was gone for six months it would have returned to service a lot earlier but was delayed due to a shaft issue, as can be seen the refit was quite comprehensive.

jgf

Quote from: jgf on November 22, 2020, 05:20:45 PM
Stena Vinga took over Rosslare Fishguard as per schedule last night but has been delayed today due to a medical emergency, I hope everyone is ok. This evenings/tonight's scheduled sailings from Rosslare and Fishguard have been cancelled.
Vinga now gone technical, cancelled ex Fishguard tonight, is only just leaving Rosslare as I type. I don't think this ferry is as good a relief ship as Nordica given all the cancellations due to weather on the Cherbourg route since Vinga arrived in Rosslare. I can't imagine the hauliers are very happy.

giftgrub

Quote from: jgf on November 23, 2020, 09:01:01 PM
Quote from: jgf on November 22, 2020, 05:20:45 PM
Vinga now gone technical, cancelled ex Fishguard tonight, is only just leaving Rosslare as I type. I don't think this ferry is as good a relief ship as Nordica given all the cancellations due to weather on the Cherbourg route since Vinga arrived in Rosslare. I can't imagine the hauliers are very happy.

The major reason the Nordica can cope so well and is a great relief vessel is its ludicrously overpowered, the Nordica has 4.5 times more kw available than Vinga if required so can power through pretty much any conditions (obviously due to fuel use this full power is rarely used) but even a little bit more if required can make a huge difference.

Stena Line Irish Sea were lucky to have access to the Nordica for as long as they did, given the level of cancellations the Vinga is not exactly a perfect replacement vessel.

http://www.doverferryphotosforums.co.uk/mv-malo-seaways-past-and-present/

http://www.doverferryphotosforums.co.uk/mv-stena-vinga-past-and-present/

Nordica 39,600 kw on four engines versus Vinga 8,600 kw.