Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marthyrarth

RorieLen

Quote from: PaddyL on December 18, 2017, 01:52:47 PM
Quote from: MVW85 on December 16, 2017, 11:52:30 PM
i hear rumour that when stena do move their berths in the next few years we could see one of the Dutch ships on the route, seeing how much freight traffic includingdrops that are going through Holyhead it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility

The ships are sailing full at Harwich most of the time so I can't see that happening.

Best bet is the first Chinese newbuild going to Holyhead.

Stena Britannica and Stena Hollandica have close to 550 cabins as far as I recall so I seriously cannot see them at Holyhead!

RorieLen

Quote from: marthyrarth on December 18, 2017, 05:47:18 PM
Any news re refits of STENA

Last I heard it was only Stena Horizon, Stena Adventurer and Stena Europe for dry dock this winter. I think Falmouth was mentioned.

bissiere

do you believe that STENA HORIZON  will take  stena line colors

marthyrarth

What vessel will cover - will it be hte Horizon?

giftgrub

Only three going into drydock as far as we know, Europe and Horizon will not be replaced during refit period, Horizon expected to cover Adventurer refit given length of time off service.

Horizon not expected to receive full branding as still on charter and T&C's apparently prevented branding on hull last time around, same with IF Epsilon.

Europes absence will be covered by slot charter on rival Irish Ferries service, Horizons absence will be more complicated as some freight cannot transfer across to rival service, 20 Feb - march 19 for Horizon off service.

Given the size of the Stena group and fleet, hard to believe they don't have a vessel available to provide cover whether one of their own or a chartered ferry.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on December 18, 2017, 10:19:40 PM
Only three going into drydock as far as we know, Europe and Horizon will not be replaced during refit period, Horizon expected to cover Adventurer refit given length of time off service.

Horizon not expected to receive full branding as still on charter and T&C's apparently prevented branding on hull last time around, same with IF Epsilon.

Europes absence will be covered by slot charter on rival Irish Ferries service, Horizons absence will be more complicated as some freight cannot transfer across to rival service, 20 Feb - march 19 for Horizon off service.

Given the size of the Stena group and fleet, hard to believe they don't have a vessel available to provide cover whether one of their own or a chartered ferry.

Further to what GG has said, and incase it hasn't been mentioned already, the rumoured life-extension work which was to be undertaken on Stena Europe does not appear to be happening, this year at least anyway.

It has been traditional for both Belfast Superfasts to dry dock annually but until a few days ago they've always been under charter from Tallink.  It remains to be seen if the pattern will continue now they are Stena owned vessels, but so far I haven't heard anything about them being booked in at H&W or elsewhere.

As for one of the Harwich ships ending up at Holyhead, I personally cannot see it.  They'd need replaced by something even bigger for a start, and you can't just conjure up a ship that size from nowhere overnight!  Most likely scenario is one of the Chinese vessels coming to Holyhead IMO, with more capacity added on the Dutch routes either to the Hook or Rotterdam itself (tonnage availability permitting of course).  With regard to Fishguard I don't personally think Stena Superfast X is the ship for the route.  Stena Nautica is potentially a bit slow, remember she had timekeeping issues in her B&I days.  She wouldn't be a long term solution really either.  It looks as if Europe will be on the route for another year or two anyway, and who knows what the industry will look like then!?
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Matt73

Quote from: Steven on December 18, 2017, 11:51:39 PM
Quote from: giftgrub on December 18, 2017, 10:19:40 PM

Further to what GG has said, and incase it hasn't been mentioned already, the rumoured life-extension work which was to be undertaken on Stena Europe does not appear to be happening, this year at least anyway.

It has been traditional for both Belfast Superfasts to dry dock annually but until a few days ago they've always been under charter from Tallink.  It remains to be seen if the pattern will continue now they are Stena owned vessels, but so far I haven't heard anything about them being booked in at H&W or elsewhere.

As for one of the Harwich ships ending up at Holyhead, I personally cannot see it.  They'd need replaced by something even bigger for a start, and you can't just conjure up a ship that size from nowhere overnight!  Most likely scenario is one of the Chinese vessels coming to Holyhead IMO, with more capacity added on the Dutch routes either to the Hook or Rotterdam itself (tonnage availability permitting of course).  With regard to Fishguard I don't personally think Stena Superfast X is the ship for the route.  Stena Nautica is potentially a bit slow, remember she had timekeeping issues in her B&I days.  She wouldn't be a long term solution really either.  It looks as if Europe will be on the route for another year or two anyway, and who knows what the industry will look like then!?

I agree with Steven about the mighty Britannica and Hollandica; still my favourites.    There has been speculation about one of them them moving to the Irish Sea on this forum before; if memory serves it was to Fishguard last time! As if!

If they are going anywhere, it would think it more likley to be to the Baltic and Karlskrona-Gdynia or Kiel-Gothenburg routes.  As Steven says, that would require them being replaced in turn by something even bigger at Harwich and the E-Flexer class seems to be where it's all at the moment.  Happy to be corrected, but they will be smaller than Britannica and Hollandica physically and in lane meters. 

We know that Capucine and Severine are shortly to be replaced by larger tonnage on the Harwich-Europort and that a new berth has been built at the Europort terminal to cater for the increased demand.  I have read here and elsewhere that Britannica and Hollandica are often sailing full to capacity with freight on certain days of the week.  If any further capacity is needed on a permanent basis, perhaps Stena might consider stretching them, as happened with their predecessors? 

Hollandica has had some new funnel exhuast extensions added recently.  Are the ships to be drydocked this year and is any interior refurbishment scheduled, as they are apporaching their eighth year in service.

Is there any information as to whether the option for four further E-flexers might be taken up? 

Thanks.

Matt

Steven

No word yet on the E-Flexer options Matt.  Perhaps they could be waiting to see how the builds progress before jumping in on more of them.  Weihai are due to launch a RoPax for a Chinese customer in the next couple of weeks.  Just because options are there doesn't mean they have to exercise them either though.  All we can do really is speculate until a concrete announcement is made by Stena or AVIC.

Speaking of speculation, the current thinking seems to be that E-Flexer number 1 will go to Holyhead due to the growth Stena are experiencing in freight traffic there and no doubt due in part to a certain arrival expected from Germany, with 2 and 4 for Birkenhead.  Of course, things are still liable (perhaps likely) to change.  Demand remains strong at Birkenhead with the Monday layover dropped again over the holiday peak to increase capacity for freight as well as of course passengers.

The Dublin - Holyhead timetable has also been fine-tuned a little.  I can't recall the details of the top of my head but will post when I find them.

Steven

QuoteRECORDS ON THE IRISH SEA
ON THE IRISH SEA WE SEE RECORD BREAKING LEVELS OF SHIPMENTS, ESPECIALLY BETWEEN HOLYHEAD AND DUBLIN, WITHOUT SIGN OF SLOWING DOWN. THEREFORE WE CONTINUE THE WORK BY FINE-TUNING OUR SERVICES TO MEET OUR CUSTOMERS' DEMANDS ACROSS THE REGION.

IRISH SEA SOUTH
While the driver accompanied sector still continues to grow, there are currently signs of a faster pick up in unaccompanied volumes. Stena Line is reviewing its operation to ensure that we are able to maximise trailer handling within the scope of an intensive ro-pax schedule and are investing in additional tugmaster resource and remodelling port infrastructure in Holyhead to achieve this.

We also continue to fine tune sailing schedules to optimise vessel turn-rounds to best meet demand of both accompanied and unaccompanied traffic. In January we will adjust the timetable of Stena Adventurer on her two daylight sailings; this not only opens up one of the busier turn-rounds in Holyhead but in conjunction with a new earlier arrival time in Killingholme for our overnight service from Hoek van Holland, will also allow westbound transit loads from the Continent to Ireland to more easily meet the afternoon departure from Holyhead to Dublin.

Stena Lines services from Fishguard and Cherbourg to Rosslare complete our network of Republic of Ireland services and together with three routes into Northern Ireland offer customers a full range of Irish Sea options. Thank you for your support during 2017.

David Holderness
Freight Commercial Manager, Irish Sea South

RorieLen

The timetable changes on Dublin-Holyhead are the 0820 ex Dublin moves to 0810 and the 1350 ex Holyhead moves to 1400 to allow longer turnaround times to handle freight at Holyhead.

I believe the 1510 ex Dublin will also be slightly retimed in a few weeks time for the same reason.

ferryfan

Storm Elanor causing some interesting route choices. Adventurer currently off the coast at Skerries/Balbriggan

giftgrub

Quote from: ferryfan on January 02, 2018, 10:41:34 PM
Storm Elanor causing some interesting route choices. Adventurer currently off the coast at Skerries/Balbriggan

Well spotted, had to check further, tonight's Adventurer crossing is cancelled must have moved out of berth to make room for Superfast X which is on the way, make interesting playback on MarineTraffic app

Matt73

Quote from: Steven on January 01, 2018, 07:03:53 AM
No word yet on the E-Flexer options Matt.  Perhaps they could be waiting to see how the builds progress before jumping in on more of them.  Weihai are due to launch a RoPax for a Chinese customer in the next couple of weeks.  Just because options are there doesn't mean they have to exercise them either though.  All we can do really is speculate until a concrete announcement is made by Stena or AVIC.

Speaking of speculation, the current thinking seems to be that E-Flexer number 1 will go to Holyhead due to the growth Stena are experiencing in freight traffic there and no doubt due in part to a certain arrival expected from Germany, with 2 and 4 for Birkenhead.  Of course, things are still liable (perhaps likely) to change.  Demand remains strong at Birkenhead with the Monday layover dropped again over the holiday peak to increase capacity for freight as well as of course passengers.

The Dublin - Holyhead timetable has also been fine-tuned a little.  I can't recall the details of the top of my head but will post when I find them.

Thanks, as always, Steven.  Always informative and helpful.

I look forward to seeing how Stena will react to the Irish Ferries googly!

Matt

giftgrub

The Stena Line refits have started with the Stena Danica in Landskrona for what appears to be a big refit/refurb.

Image of Danica arriving here.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2791506

The Gute has joined the Jutlandica and Gothica on the route to provide cover with the Gothica taking limited numbers of car passengers on its sailings.

Stena Scandinavica due to go on refit Saturday for three weeks. Freight cover provided by chartered Caroline Russ.