Stena Line fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, October 12, 2008, 04:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt73

Quote from: Andrew White on March 10, 2015, 07:02:32 PM
I have travelled on the Stena Adventurer also while work was being carried out in the passenger area on her as well and it was very loud so this isn't new with Stena and isn't good passenger service.   Work was being carried out also on Superfast VII & VIII when they both entered service in Belfast also but at least Stena in Belfast had the areas closed off to Passengers

If you remember the Undercover Boss episode about Stena Line, they showed similar work happening on board the Stena Mersey.  I think it really is quite appalling to do this sort of work whilst the ship is in service.  It really reflects very badly on the company.

Matt

giftgrub

Not sure what extent the work was, but with the official launch in Dublin today and the boss himself on board, would hope they were finished in time.

http://news.stenaline.co.uk/pressreleases/stena-line-launches-new-superfast-ferry-at-dublin-port-1129122

HSS

Have to say a big thank you to the Stena Nordica, she has been great on the Dublin-Holyhead route over the last few years, she maybe be small compared to Superfast X but a great work horse and will be missed.

Davy Jones

I'll second that!

I wondered what Stena were doing at first, sending us that old rust bucket, the Stena Seatrader. Obviously now, that was just a test exercise to see if the extra crossing would run. As soon as they replaced her with the Nordica everything just worked. It was even interesting to note that during bad weather, although she didn't always run, when she did, she appeared to berth easier than the Adventurer. Whoever gets her on their route will be getting a good ship. Farewell and all the best!

giftgrub

Quote from: Davy Jones on March 12, 2015, 09:50:05 AM
I'll second that!

I wondered what Stena were doing at first, sending us that old rust bucket, the Stena Seatrader. Obviously now, that was just a test exercise to see if the extra crossing would run. As soon as they replaced her with the Nordica everything just worked. It was even interesting to note that during bad weather, although she didn't always run, when she did, she appeared to berth easier than the Adventurer. Whoever gets her on their route will be getting a good ship. Farewell and all the best!

Stena Nordica is off to DFDS for their Dover Calais service once refit cover is complete now managed by Stena RoRo, just wonder will it be back in Dublin to cover for the Adventurer before it goes all Seaways.

Steven

Quote from: Matt73 on March 11, 2015, 06:35:04 PM
Quote from: Andrew White on March 10, 2015, 07:02:32 PM
I have travelled on the Stena Adventurer also while work was being carried out in the passenger area on her as well and it was very loud so this isn't new with Stena and isn't good passenger service.   Work was being carried out also on Superfast VII & VIII when they both entered service in Belfast also but at least Stena in Belfast had the areas closed off to Passengers

If you remember the Undercover Boss episode about Stena Line, they showed similar work happening on board the Stena Mersey.  I think it really is quite appalling to do this sort of work whilst the ship is in service.  It really reflects very badly on the company.

Matt
The extent of the work is nowhere near as severe as was onboard Mersey.  I have spoken to several people who have been onboard, all have said it was barely noticeable and didn't affect the experience.   From photographs I have seen, it would appear much of this 'work' was taking plastic covering off seating, etc.  certainly not the building and drilling that was going on onboard Mersey!  However, I agree that it is less than ideal.

Moving on.  Internal and external pics of Stena Superfast X, courtesy of Scott Mackey.  Pics are of course copyright Scott Mackey and shouldn't be used without credit (and permission if publishing elsewhere!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/sets/72157650849385067/
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

ferryfan

Great Pics from Scot Mackey. Taking a trip on her tomorrow looks good a bit different to the norm.

Steven

Quote from: ferryfan on March 14, 2015, 11:48:35 PM
Great Pics from Scot Mackey. Taking a trip on her tomorrow looks good a bit different to the norm.
Don't forget to let us know what you think!

Ajmadden123

Quote from: Steven on March 15, 2015, 04:52:14 PM
Quote from: ferryfan on March 14, 2015, 11:48:35 PM
Don't forget to let us know what you think!
If you have a cabin, or if you get into the hallways, please take some pictures! Im curious to see whats changed.
Great pics by Scott by the way, she's looking great inside

Steven

A wee look inside and outside of Stena Superfast VII, while in dry dock yesterday.  Stena Plus and the Met Bar have been reupholstered and as part of the external painting 'making good time' has been removed from her hull.  All pics by Scott Mackey.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scottmackey/sets/72157628080488909/

ferryfan

Just returned from a trip went over on Superfast X Monday morning at 2.15. First thing I noticed was the decor bright orange furniture and wood panelling along the very narrow corridors to the left and right of the staircases which lead to the Metropolitan Grill, Shop and Guest Services on Deck 7 and to the bar and coffee shop and cinemas (which essentially are one and the same) on deck 8. Almost the first thing I came across after boarding was an argument between several truck drivers and the guest services staff about the lack of cabins for drivers, (it was a very quiet crossing). There seemed to be a lack of seating areas either in the plus the bar or the grill with nothing else available, some areas were closed off and building materials were visible in others. Overall I was unimpressed with the ship and in fact the decor and narrow corridors reminded me of the MV Innisfallen and as with her predecessor the sailing times are not convenient for most people. After the crossing the first thing I spotted in Holyhead was the sad sight of the HSS lying in complete darkness at her berth, what a wast!
So I think my next trips will be back on the Swift.

Steven

For those on facebook, Stena Line have uploaded some pics of SSF VII in dry dock to the Stena Line UK&IE page

QuoteEver wondered how we keep our ships in tip top condition?
Since November 2014 we've been refitting our ships on the Belfast - Cairnryan & Belfast - Liverpool routes and we're nearly done!
Check out these great pics of the Stena Superfast VII getting it's final touches in preparation for leaving dry dock today!
Excitingly we can announce some of the changes we've made onboard to the Stena Superfast VII. There's been a refurbishment of all seats in the Met Bar and Stena Plus, general refurbishment of all cabins on deck 10 plus new dog kennels for pet owners on deck 7.
If you've got any questions just give us a shout!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1036029556426976.1073741847.148421815187759&type=1

Steven

Quote from: ferryfan on March 20, 2015, 12:24:38 PM
Just returned from a trip went over on Superfast X Monday morning at 2.15. First thing I noticed was the decor bright orange furniture and wood panelling along the very narrow corridors to the left and right of the staircases which lead to the Metropolitan Grill, Shop and Guest Services on Deck 7 and to the bar and coffee shop and cinemas (which essentially are one and the same) on deck 8. Almost the first thing I came across after boarding was an argument between several truck drivers and the guest services staff about the lack of cabins for drivers, (it was a very quiet crossing). There seemed to be a lack of seating areas either in the plus the bar or the grill with nothing else available, some areas were closed off and building materials were visible in others. Overall I was unimpressed with the ship and in fact the decor and narrow corridors reminded me of the MV Innisfallen and as with her predecessor the sailing times are not convenient for most people. After the crossing the first thing I spotted in Holyhead was the sad sight of the HSS lying in complete darkness at her berth, what a wast!
So I think my next trips will be back on the Swift.
The driver cabin thing is something I have seen arise elsewhere.  I had heard (unconfirmed) talk that many of the cabins where not yet complete.  I see you where on an early morning crossing.  I wonder how many of the areas where closed off due to the crossing time rather than the fact they where being worked on?  Common practice on most crossings due to the usually low passenger numbers.  They really do need to get this work finished ASAP though, so she can show her true potential!  Sorry to hear you are unimpressed with her though - most of the other reports I have heard have been overwhelmingly positive.

IFPete

Hi Steven,

Writing from Stena Plus on Superfast VIII

I am empressed with the ships vehicle space and the high quality of passenger accommodation

Lets see what happens when Eomann Rothwell pulls the investment trigger at Irish Ferries.

If Greece does not do a deal with EC there will be lots of good Greek Ferries becoming available very cheap in the coming months.

Ger Tigchelaar

I made a crossing on Superfast X on the 02.15 sailing on Friday morning. I boarded as a foot passenger. There was about 20 other foot passengers, a small number of cars but a reasonable amount of freight. First impression on entering the passenger areas in it very much a work in progress in some areas with work being carried out during the crossing. I found most of the lounge and retail areas small compared to the Stena Europe and Stena Adventurer.

On this crossing the Bar/Coffee shop was closed much to the dismay of a group of Liverpool fans who argued with the restaurant staff as the were unable to purchase draught beer. There was only a small selection of bottled beers available.

The main shop only opened for the final 45 minutes of the crossing. The nordic Spa area seems to be in use as a store at the moment. I was piled high with tables, chairs and building materal on this crossing.

After all the hype from Stena Line I must admit that I was unimpressed with the ship.