HSS Stena Explorer

Started by jswift, February 18, 2011, 02:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fast Ferry Fan

QuoteVaguely surprised they didn't move Voyager down to do the route - having been on both Explorer and Voyager last year, Voyager's noticeably better 'equipped' in the passenger areas.  Especially if you're travelling with kids.  Explorer is a tad more spartan.

Depends if being better "equipped" means needing more manpower to run it.

Last time I would have been on the Explorer would have been September 2010 and even then several of the coffee bars and other facilties weren't open. There'd be no point adding extra facilities if they weren't going to be opened.

It's a vicious circle; the fewer services it runs and the more it increases prices due to fuel costs and the downturn, the more it goes out of people's consciousness to use it, the less sustainable it is.  As well as taking the car, I have used it several times in the past on Sail / Rail.  The train connections at Holyhead haven't been great for a long time, but recent price increases have tipped the balance completely in favour of flying.

I wonder what the difference is on the loadings between the inbound (10am) and outbound (1.15pm) service?  Haven't used the inbound service since they did away with the afternoon crossing at the end of 2008, which is a real shame.

DublinPeter

So it looks like the HSS won't get the entire winter off this year which really is good news.  She will be back on the run for 12 days over Christmas/New Year with a 1030 departure from Holyhead and a 1330 return from Dun Laoghaire.  Its on the booking engine now. 

Bookings have been good this Summer and she has sold out regularly (including this weekend) so obviously a busy Christmas is expected and they don't want to leave all that extra traffic to Irish Ferries!

I know a couple of enthusiasts who were booked on to Explorers latest swansong (I make it 7 "final" days now since 2008) on September 11th.  I'm guessing they will be rebooking now for January 5th :)

Pete

giftgrub

Great news and shows a bit of risk taking from the local management of Stena Line, always a shame to see the HSS laid up most of the year.

Confirmed on Stena's facebook site

"Great Friday news! We know it's a little early to be talking about Christmas but we're just too excited!
For all of you wanting to visit your friends or relatives over the festive season, the HSS will be running 20-23 Dec, 27-30 Dec & 2-5 Jan on our Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead route so get booking today at www.stenaline.co.uk
or www.stenaline.ie"

Fast Ferry Fan

Good to see her running in the winter months for the first time in 3 years.

Clearly Stena are not convinced they can pursuade enough of the Christmas market of the benefits of the conventional ships.  This, together with the earlier arrival of the Explorer in March last are the clearest signals for a long time that fast ferries will by plying the Irish Sea for some time yet.  They're "excited" only because they know the public like the Explorer and it'll stimulate bookings.

Not great for IF; who'll book a Swift sailing with a 50% chance of a winter cancellation and being shifted to a conventional sailing when you book the hulking great Explorer with a much reduced chance?

larry

judging by the bizarre weather maybe theyre anticipating a rather calm winter season on the seas

steven_shaw

It just a real shame the management at Belfast dont have the same vision and get the Voyager back on to scotland instead of the overated slow boats on there now

I will never travel with stena until a high speed ferry is back on

Fast Ferry Fan

QuoteIt just a real shame the management at Belfast dont have the same vision and get the Voyager back on to scotland instead of the overated slow boats on there now

I will never travel with stena until a high speed ferry is back on

I'm sure Stena would be hoping that your view is not representative of their average customer.

I think the only way you'll see the Voyager again is in the event of a breakdown of one of the Superfasts or a commodity price crash (which some forecasters are predicting).  Even then, the linkspan for the HSS is presumably still in Stranraer, which Stena have left in favour of Cairnryan.  Stena are able to provide a very regular service because the two Superfasts take the same time, which reintrodcution of the HSS would upset.

A travel time of only 2 hours 22 minutes seems to be only 22 minutes more than the HSS and 40 minutes faster than the previous slow boats, though this might be more to do with the location of the new port than the ships themselves.

The high speed ferries other advantages are quick docking and unload / load time, which always seems painfully slow on the traditional ferries.  Do the Superfasts offer any advantage here?

I have not been on one of the Superfasts, though it's possible we might beore the year is out.

FlyingCello

A travel time of only 2 hours 22 minutes seems to be only 22 minutes more than the HSS and 40 minutes faster than the previous slow boats, though this might be more to do with the location of the new port than the ships themselves.

Aren't the Superfasts capable of around 30 knots? In which case, any reduction in fuel price might be better put to use upping their current cruise speed (circa. 22 knots?). The HSS was massively impressive in it's day, and I loved sailing on her. But the new ships are equally as impressive in their own way, and a 30 knot crossing would be something to enjoy!

Collision-course

I would'nt hold my breath for lower fuel prices with WW3 about to kick off in the Persian Gulf , transport industry analysts are projecting Brent Crude at $200 per barrel (currently around $115) in the event of a protracted conflict , given the season in the desert if there is going to be a war it will be within the next 3 weeks. When the HSS was built Brent Crude was $16 per barrel.

Robbie74656

Interesting decision to bring the Explorer in for the winter. Does anyone know whether the Voyager is actually for sale, or simply laid up in wait for better times/other routes? I guess Stena were lucky to sell the discovery. have you seen pictures of its current state? it looks awful and is involved in a criminal investigation in Curacao. It never sailed on its destined route in Venezuela.Also looks like only two of her jets are in working condition.

But back to the explorer;) ..

Robbie74656

For those interested, i have received word that the voyager has been for sale quite some time but with no real interest. I can't belief the only fate for her is going to the scrapyard. If anything scrap the explorer, voyager seems newer and better equipped for passengers.

Andrew White

Sure they could used the Voyage from Belfast and do the crossing in the same time as the Superfasts. and still save money!!!!!  She is a lovely boat keep her!!1

Fast Ferry Fan

According to the Dun Laoghaire Harbour website, the Explorer is running a "freight-only" service this Sunday.  Anyone know what this is about?

giftgrub

Thats some freight vessell !!!

http://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/19895-stena-lines-hss-service-sounds-good-for-lady-gaga

Stena Line's HSS Service Sounds Good for Lady Gaga

Stena Line's HSS Stena Explorer is set to return to Dun Laoghaire Harbour this Sunday, despite last Tuesday's end of season Sailings to Holyhead, as previously reported on Afloat.ie. The HSS has been specially chartered in to transport stage trucks following the Lady Gaga concert to be held this weekend in Dublin, writes Jehan Ashmore.

The US pop-star is to play her only Irish tour date on Saturday night in the Aviva Stadium. Following the New York musician's 'The Born This Way Ball' performance, the stage equipment is to be transported from the Ballsbridge venue by a convoy of 25 freight trucks to the ferryport in Dun Laoghaire for the Sailing to Holyhead.

On arrival of the HSS into Dun Laoghaire, the fast-ferry will be in a 'light' mode, i.e. no passengers or vehicles on board. However on the return leg to Anglesey, the craft will be loaded with the stage trucks on the vehicle decks that are capable of loading in total 50 lorries (each of 15m in length).

Upon arrival in Holyhead, the truck convoy will travel 'landbridge' across the UK as they proceed onward to The Netherlands, where the tour continues in Amsterdam, at the cities Ziggo Dome.

However normal HSS Sailings are to resume for 12 days over the Christmas /New Year period, for further information visit: www.stenaline.ie/ferry/book-now/hss-christmas-sailings-2012/

Fast Ferry Fan

I wonder if the Lady herself will be going on a tour of Dun Laogaire tomorrow before checking in and boarding the vessel and trucking it across the UK to the Netherlands? ;-)

I'd have thought there'd be plenty of capacity on the existing scheduled ships at this time of year for a few concert lorries.