HSS Stena Explorer

Started by jswift, February 18, 2011, 02:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kieran

I'd have thought there'd be plenty of capacity on the existing scheduled ships at this time of year for a few concert lorries.

That's an odd on alright, she has a big production, but that's overkill.  I think that article got something wrong - she's playing in Amsterdam on Monday (no way they will de-rig, travel, and rebuild the stage in that length of time), usually for those sorts of shows, there are 2 or 3 stages that "leap frog" the tour. I am going to guess they are chartering the HSS so they can meet a schedule (or if there is a hold up with the de-rig they the ferry waits for them, then goes full speed to the UK)....

DublinPeter

Its a big stage show - 50 trucks apparently along with lots of crew for this stage.  Apparently they wouldnt be ready for Adventurer in the morning and Nordica later on just didn't have the capacity (or the flexibility to wait!) so Stena laid on the HSS especially which can depart whenever they are ready.  You know you're big when they run Explorer just for you :).

Bookings apparently ticking along nicely for the Christmas sailing schedule and the new Shackleton exhibition opens in the Ferry Terminal (old departures hall) this week.  Plan is to run for 18 months - 2 years.

Pete

Robbie74656

Has stena found a lucrative new business model for the HSS' ?

She has style ;).

Robbie74656

for those interested in the HSS, thought this made an itneresting picture. NOt sure which of the three vessels it belongs to though

cullyburn

As it's still branded'Stena', its probably the 'Explorer' as the 'Voyager' is still alongside at Belfast' Victoris 3. (At least it was yesterday about 17-00) ;)

Collision-course

Do we know when the photo was taken? looks like Stena Discovery after its collision a few years ago.

Robbie74656

Sorry yes, it is definitely not a recent picture. I doubt they would spend any money right now on maintenance .

ScottMackey

Its Stena Explorer a few years ago at Harland and Wolff. She has a slightly larger 'Stena Line' on her bow than the other two have/had.

DublinPeter

Confirmation today of the HSS season for next year on Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead.

After her refit in early December at H&W, she's back for Christmas/New Year and then returns on Friday March 22nd and will operate her daily sailing until Tuesday September 10th.  Back a week earlier this year because Easter is early (March 31st I think).

Departure now 1030 from Holyhead and 1330 from Dun Laoghaire.  Journey time now listed at 134 minutes so a bit slower than this year to keep the bills down! 

Pete

digorykirke1

QuoteConfirmation today of the HSS season for next year on Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead.

After her refit in early December at H&W, she's back for Christmas/New Year and then returns on Friday March 22nd and will operate her daily sailing until Tuesday September 10th.  Back a week earlier this year because Easter is early (March 31st I think).

Departure now 1030 from Holyhead and 1330 from Dun Laoghaire.  Journey time now listed at 134 minutes so a bit slower than this year to keep the bills down! 

Pete

Looks again like the only journeys I will be doing with Stena then will be with the HSS, as it is impossible to get from Heuston to Westmoreland Street (why there for the bus?) in fifteen minutes from arrival at 0700 unless I pay extra for a taxi.

Fast Ferry Fan

QuoteConfirmation today of the HSS season for next year on Dun Laoghaire - Holyhead.

Pete

Unless they've made a mistake, timetable on Stena's website says same as this year, 30 March to September 11, though would be a bit silly to start half way through the Easter weekend.  Some changes also to Nordica's departure times for 2013 (8.55am instead of 8.20am (always thought this was too early from Holyhead and later time co-incides with Explorer's old departure time), 3.10pm instead of 4pm from Dublin and 8.30pm instead of 9.30pm from Holyhead (always thought this was too late).  Still no foot passengers though.  Booking engine hasn't been updated to reflect the new positions yet.

giftgrub

Quotefor those interested in the HSS, thought this made an itneresting picture. NOt sure which of the three vessels it belongs to though

Here are the original images for the repair from H&W

http://www.harland-wolff.com/Projects/Ship-Repair--amp--Conversion-Project-Synopsis/HSS-Voyager-and-HSS-Explorer.aspx

Click on Gallery.

DublinPeter

HSS Explorer Christmas and New Year 2013/2014 sailings now confirmed and should be on the booking system by now.

Season finishes on September 10 and then she is off until December 20 and runs 20-23rd, 27th to 30th and January 2nd to 5th 2014.  Sailing times the same as this season.

Hopefully have the 2014 season confirmed soon.  Easter is much later this year so she will probably be back the last week in March.  There is refit cover etc but that can be confirmed much later and is dependent on relief ships not hopping off the berth in Holyhead :)

Pete

Davy Jones

.....or crashing into anything else (as per the Stena Feronia).

It makes a lot of sense to use the HSS to cover for the Stena Nordica, which can then be released to act whilst all the others do refit in turn. Whilst she may be expensive to run, it saves the cost of a charter vessel, is run by crew who know the area and less likely to come to mishap. True she can't handle as much freight, but if a backlog does occur she also has the capabilities of double-tripping.

Have we heard if Isle of Inishmore is likely to join the Central Corridor again at Christmas?

Robbie74656

Any news on the explorer's schedule next year?

what are your experiences with reliability during the festivities? Are Irish sea's really that rough during winter months?