Brittany Ferries fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, February 02, 2009, 08:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ernst

it is not a new add it have being there since november and contenti have being circulated on many sites for sale

emship

Collision-course

Not previously mentioned is that Pont Aven recommenced the Cork - Roscoff service on March 23rd with advance bookings up 12% on 2012 and the possibility of a sell out season looking likely (might be time they looked again at adding another departure during the week).
Below from www.shipspotting.com a rare evening view of Pont Aven at Ringaskiddy in 2004.

hayes.tony

An additional run with a Ro-Pax perhaps?

Collision-course

Well ideally Armorique could squeeze in a mid-week run from Roscoff to Cork , failing that a mid-week run to St Malo with Bretagne could be popular.

Collision-course

A most impressive vessel , great to finally see it ordered , of course this means that Cork will be saying goodbye to the Pont Aven at the end of 2016 , but what a replacement we are getting instead , as things stand she will be the worlds biggest LNG powered car ferry.
This also explains the new double deck berth to be built at at Ringaskiddy.

Collision-course

It also seems the Bretagne will be leaving the Brittany Ferries fleet in 2017.

mrwt.nsf

I think the Pont Aven is going to St Malo. This is great news for Brittany Ferries, but obviously this is response to the IMO Regulations.

Collision-course

Further good news is that it seems despite its size this new ship will have the lowest operating costs of any ferry operating into Ireland , which I suspect will do wonders for Brittany Ferries pricing for passengers and freight.

giftgrub

QuoteFurther good news is that it seems despite its size this new ship will have the lowest operating costs of any ferry operating into Ireland , which I suspect will do wonders for Brittany Ferries pricing for passengers and freight.

While it may have the lowest operating costs of any vessel in Northern Europe it still has to pay back the £225 Million Sterling  / €270 Million Euro / $368 Million Dollars depending on your currency that is a big sum of money in anyone's book regardless of grant funding, loan structuring etc, plus the cost of re engineering the other three ferries is not going to be cheap. I would not expect a price war that soon.

Collision-course

True she is expensive , but I imagine Brittany Ferries will depriciate her over 20 years like their other ships , the re-engineering of their other ships will be expensive , but again there will be fuel cost savings from it.
Where the new ship needs to be watched is her capacity , she has a lot of lanemeters for a ship her size , in terms of capacity she has 7 times more vehicle space than Viking Grace , and over twice that of Oscar Wilde.

Collision-course

I note from the latest images of the new Pegasis that there have been a number of changes made to the design particularly towards the stern compared with images first released 2 years ago.
Below recent image from Brittany Ferries

giftgrub

Big news from BF today as they have announced the charter of the Norman Voyager from Stena Ro Ro for a new BF Economy service. The Norman Voyagers current charter to LD/DFDS ends in March.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/press-office/blog/41230/07-02-2014---Brittany-Ferries-starts-new-no-frills-service-Brittany-Ferries-economie-from-Portsmouth-to-Le-Havre-and-Santander?page=1

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/economie

We are pleased to announce a new no-frills service called Brittany Ferries économie which will operate from Portsmouth to both Santander and Le Havre. The service is ideal for those of you who wish to travel to France or Spain at a very reasonable fare without either the cruise-style experience we provide on our other ships or the speed afforded by Normandie Express.

Convenient sailing schedule

There will be a weekend service between Portsmouth and Santander and five return crossings between Portsmouth and Le Havre, one of which will be freight-only. The no-frills, great-value feature will appeal to those on a tight budget.

On board service and facilities

On board, our customers can expect good quality French catering in the small self-service restaurant, but with a limited choice. There is a small bar, movie lounge and lounge area. As with all our ships the service will be operated by Brittany Ferries' bilingual French crew and officers.

The cabins will all have en-suite facilities, but without carpets, and there will be a lounge where seats can be reserved on overnight crossings. Pet owners will welcome the 12 pet-friendly cabins to Spain. There will be two specially equipped cabins for disabled passengers.

Cycles and motorcycles are welcome on both routes but foot passengers will only be accepted on the route to and from Le Havre.

Launching soon

We plan to open for sale in the next few weeks. The first sailing will be on Tuesday 25th March from Portsmouth to Le Havre.

cosseric.coss

I don't know about any of you on here but I am starting to get a bit fed up of these style ships. Who had them now? - Irish Ferries and Celtic l ferries and stena and LD and carnote tourist and dfds and norfolkline and other companies and now Brittany ferries! Who will get one of these style ships next? Probably p&o ferries or someone. Plus I see that Brittany ferries are calling this an ecenomy service. They must be copying Irish ferries idea!

Kieran

Quote from: Oscar Wilde on February 08, 2014, 12:59:56 AM
I don't know about any of you on here but I am starting to get a bit fed up of these style ships. Who had them now? - Irish Ferries and Celtic l ferries and stena and LD and carnote tourist and dfds and norfolkline and other companies and now Brittany ferries! Who will get one of these style ships next? Probably p&o ferries or someone. Plus I see that Brittany ferries are calling this an ecenomy service. They must be copying Irish ferries idea!

I am fairly sure the ship yard (and the likes of Stena, LD, and ICG) would disagree with you strongly there, it's a class of ship that has proven very versatile at a time the market is seriously short tonnage.

Economy service is a massive change of direction for Brittany Ferries, they always prided them selves on service, hopefully it's not the direction they plan to take with the fleet in the future.