Brittany Ferries fleet movements

Started by Collision-course, February 02, 2009, 08:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Nice images, looking good although does not look to be too busy.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on August 16, 2019, 09:59:48 PM
Alas it appears she hasn't been.  She's effectively being replaced with a smaller ship in terms of freight as well.  Still, the Spain service is young and at least BF have committed to a (brief) extension to the trial.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Connemara sailings cancelled this weekend and currently up at Marino Point, with Tug Gerry O'Sullivan in attendance. Would have been stunning images passing Passage West with a ferry of that size, would not fancy being the pilot in the river without full power available !

ccs

Few from earlier this evening of Connemara alongside at Marino Point

giftgrub

Thanks for getting the images, just looks so strange to see the Connemara so far upriver, ( I know that's a deep water berth) but strange setting to see a modern ferry berthed at.

Steven

Quote from: Steven on August 26, 2019, 01:58:02 PM
Quote from: giftgrub on August 16, 2019, 09:59:48 PM
Alas it appears she hasn't been.  She's effectively being replaced with a smaller ship in terms of freight as well.  Still, the Spain service is young and at least BF have committed to a (brief) extension to the trial.
On this, as posted elsewhere, Brittany Ferries have nothing on sale for Cork after November 4th!  Less than 2 months away.

ccs

12345teacher

just booked return  from .. cork to santander ..car +2+cabin...sailing on the kerry...for april easter week ... 2020.. €653 return ...

giftgrub

Quote from: 12345teacher on October 02, 2019, 04:26:16 PM
just booked return from  cork to santander sailing on the kerry...for april 2020 €653 return ...

Good news, AF Michela (former Stena Egeria) is currently being refitted to become Kerry in Rijeka, berthed alongside (is the former Dublin -Holyhead ferry Stena Forwarder) the AF Claudia.

Images of the Kerry in its previous lives

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?search_imo=9243447

Steven

Quote from: ccs on October 02, 2019, 03:18:49 PM
Cork to Santander sailings til April 2020 now bookable by phone. Online bookings for full 2020 schedule by late October.

https://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/2020-sailings-on-sale-now?utm_campaign=506OIRL-4119&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_content=&utm_medium=email
Interestingly the few sailings past October that were bookable online now aren't!  Strange to withhold online booking so close to the actual date but good news they are at least taking telephone bookings now!

ferryfan

Is the Michela (Kerry) a bit of a backyard step for the route, she is an older smaller ship with less capacity in lane metres and less cabins.

12345teacher

I have a booking going out on Friday 25 th October to Santander and returning on Sunday the 3rd November Santander to cork this return date is no longer advertised on Brittany ferries web site...i rang Brittany ferries and queried this and was told sailing was still going....but looking at last few weeks there track record cork /Santander is not good ...but i hope I'm wrong ...

Steven

Quote from: 12345teacher on October 04, 2019, 06:06:34 PM
I have a booking going out on Friday 25 th October to Santander and returning on Sunday the 3rd November Santander to cork this return date is no longer advertised on Brittany ferries web site...i rang Brittany ferries and queried this and was told sailing was still going....but looking at last few weeks there track record cork /Santander is not good ...but i hope I'm wrong ...

It's odd but that sailing was previously on the online booking engine but was pulled off.  They are taking bookings for it over the phone though.  Perhaps when the U.K. summer timetable is launched in the middle of this month they will add Cork past the end of October back to the online booking engine.

Cladyman

Why does Brittany ferries serve both Bilbao and Santander

They are only 1hr drive apart, given 24+hr sailings doesn't make sense to me.  And given frequency not that high in surely can't be capacity?

TC

Quote from: Cladyman on October 06, 2019, 01:31:27 PM
Why does Brittany ferries serve both Bilbao and Santander

They are only 1hr drive apart, given 24+hr sailings doesn’t make sense to me.  And given frequency not that high in surely can’t be capacity?

Brittany Ferries really only took on Bilbao because of P&O's decision to return the Pride of Bilbao to Irish Ferries, whom they had chartered her from since the very early 1990s.  P&O put their decision down to running costs associated with their Bilbao - Portsmouth service.  I imagine that translated as (i) fuel costs / efficiency, & (ii) low freight capacity of the vessel.

The P&O service did prove highly popular, so Brittany Ferries simply moved in with the Cap Finistere.