P&O Fleet Movements

Started by Collision-course, February 10, 2011, 03:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

First reporback from MAIB on European Causway incident

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/safety-warning-about-drivers-remaining-in-vehicle-cabs-while-ferries-are-at-sea

Might force a reconfiguration of on board layouts for ferry operators to give drivers private cabins.

Trucker

I was on the 07.30 out of Cairnryan last Sunday morning, and as I had been on the road since 2am, I really needed a sleep.
There's a room with reclining seats for freight drivers, but very uncomfortable, I slept for 1 hour because of sheer tiredness,  but woke with a sore lower back and stiff neck.
I watched a travel programme about China during the week, and they have Pod Hotels, where you can rent a capsule for the night, basically a dormitory with enclosed sleeping quarters, and thought to myself ,wouldnt that be a great idea on the ferries.
I don't travel over the top too often, thankfully.

giftgrub

Quote from: Trucker on March 30, 2019, 10:39:43 PM
I was on the 07.30 out of Cairnryan last Sunday morning, and as I had been on the road since 2am, I really needed a sleep.
There's a room with reclining seats for freight drivers, but very uncomfortable, I slept for 1 hour because of sheer tiredness,  but woke with a sore lower back and stiff neck.
I watched a travel programme about China during the week, and they have Pod Hotels, where you can rent a capsule for the night, basically a dormitory with enclosed sleeping quarters, and thought to myself ,wouldnt that be a great idea on the ferries.
I don't travel over the top too often, thankfully.

Stena are about to introduce this very system on some of their crossings between Germany and Sweden.

https://news.cision.com/stena-line/r/stena-line-installs-japanese-sleeping-pods,c2771617

Trucker

Personally I would prefer this than sharing a cabin with up to 3 other drivers,  or the dreaded economie Brittany Ferries Portsmouth-Spain ,where at peak times there are 6 to a cabin.
Oscar Wilde is a great ferry to travel on as a freight driver, as we always get a cabin to ourselves.
Seatruck, DFDS and Cobelfret  freight ships take 12 drivers, and nearly always 1 person to a cabin.
Makes all the difference, get a good nights sleep and be fresh for the next days driving. 

Rob 1987

Norbank is Now Back In Liverpool and She Will Be Back on Liverpool -Dublin from Tonight Services and European Endeavour is In on LaUp Berth in Liverpool Docks
Regards Rob

ferryfan

P&O have sold European Endeavour to Eckero Line. The chartered ro/ro mv Mistral which is currently operating her route is expected to remain on the route for the time being.

giftgrub

Apparently Endeavor was quite expensive to run and heavy on fuel, one of the primary reasons for selling, strange move though from a large company with only a charter replacement available.

Bow doors being "unwelded" (not sure of the correct term) to allow a return to drive through service for the new owners.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on May 02, 2019, 09:41:48 PM
Apparently Endeavor was quite expensive to run and heavy on fuel, one of the primary reasons for selling, strange move though from a large company with only a charter replacement available.

Bow doors being "unwelded" (not sure of the correct term) to allow a return to drive through service for the new owners.
The problem with that is they were obviously welded for a reason....
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Steven

EUROPEAN SEAWAY entered service on the Larne to Cairnryan route on Thursday.  EUROPEAN HIGHLANDER left Larne for Birkenhead at around 7 pm.  This year P&O have scheduled some 6 weeks for Highlander and Causeway to dry dock, with Seaway covering throughout.  She came to Larne directly from Falmouth where she had some work done (despite being dry docked twice already within the past year, with this her third yard visit within 10 months).  Her home port is now Limassol in line with the rest of the Dover based fleet.

RorieLen

It looks as if European Highlander is delayed in dry dock. I heard someone suggest perhaps up to 3 weeks which will surely mean European Causeway cannot go to dock this side of summer?

Could we see European Seaway heading back to Dover for the peak season and then returning to cover for Causeway at Larne later in the year?

Steven

Quote from: RorieLen on June 07, 2019, 06:56:03 AM
It looks as if European Highlander is delayed in dry dock. I heard someone suggest perhaps up to 3 weeks which will surely mean European Causeway cannot go to dock this side of summer?

Could we see European Seaway heading back to Dover for the peak season and then returning to cover for Causeway at Larne later in the year?

That looks like what is going to happen - it is hard to see Seaway coping with the July rush on the North Channel!  Causeway could probably use a dry docking though considering shes had a fire and the well-documented cargo shift incident this year alone!  She's also lost her cow catcher of course

Highlander looks to be returning on the 28th running opposite Causeway and is now back in dry dock having been in the wet basin for a while (reports that she has rudder problems that have to be fixed before she can return to service).  I've contacted P&O earlier today to see if they can give a revised date for Causeway's dry docking but so far I haven't had a response.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/delayed-return-from-refit-for-both-stena-lines-stena-europe-and-po-ferries-european-highlander/

Steven

EUROPEAN CAUSEWAY will dry dock at the start of July meaning Seaway will be staying with us a while longer.  P&O have had no option despite the obvious issues with passenger capacity.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/european-causeway-to-dry-dock-in-july/

Steven

EUROPEAN SEAWAY has returned to the English Channel but only for warm layup at Dunkirk.  She will be required again at Larne during September so EUROPEAN CAUSEWAY can go back to dry dock to have this years planned work program completed.

Steven

Following an incident earlier in the week onboard European Seaway, P&O Ferries are to run a single ship service with European Highlander between Larne and Cairnryan while European Causeway is off service for dry-docking.  An amended schedule is in place from 2nd-22nd September.  Obviously this will severely reduce North Channel capacity, but it appears P&O's hand was forced.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/po-ferries-single-ship-larne-cairnryan-september/

More about the reported 'technical' ::) incident

https://www.niferry.co.uk/european-seaway-doubtful/

Steven

"P&O Ferries has invested in modernising the Freight Drivers Lounge on board two of its Irish Sea ferries, European Highlander and European Causeway, which operate between Larne, Northern Ireland and Cairnryan, Scotland.

The refurbished lounges now feature a contemporary interior and eight lie flat beds, giving drivers the option to sleep during the crossing, reducing the risk of fatigue whilst on the road. Each bed also features a private locker allowing belongings to be safely stored.

In addition, 37 "business class" extra legroom reclining seats have been installed, giving drivers the chance to relax whilst watching TV, or having a much-needed power nap. Additional seating and tables also now feature in the forward bars of both ships, aiming to ease congestion and improve passenger comfort, particularly at peak times.

New carpets and louvres complete the refurb, giving the lounges a fresh look and a restful atmosphere."

https://www.freightlink.co.uk/knowledge/articles/po-ferries-update-modernised-freight-drivers-lounge-irish-sea-ferries

https://www.niferry.co.uk/pr-modernised-freight-drivers-lounge-on-po-ferries-irish-sea-ferries/