P&O Fleet Movements

Started by Collision-course, February 10, 2011, 03:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

I've been waiting on a response to P&O for a while regarding day trips from Larne.  It is still possible to view some of last years trips on the website though!  They really should get that website under control! 

I must also say I have had a very disappointing experience trying to extract information from P&O.  The Facebook team gave me the run around for a couple of weeks after I asked when the improvements to the Cairnryan route would be happening.  The eventual response was to ring customer services as they were too busy to deal with my query!  As above I emailed about day trips from Larne, specifically with the view to promoting any offers on NIFS.  That was on the 12th of June.  Despite the email having seemingly been passed around half of P&O, I'm still awaiting a response despite further prompting!  For the good of the ferry industry I hope my experiences don't reflect those of the majority of those asking questions of P&O.  Alas, some of the messages I have received at NIFS reflect similar experiences.

On a more positive note, the Troon route has finally been removed from the website front page - hurrah!  It also seems that the much publicised improvements have started to happen with a refurbishment of the food courts also scheduled to happen next year as well.  Unfortunately, from speaking to people familiar with the ships it appears that much of the additional seating has been added to the outside decks.  At least that answers the question many of us were asking as to where on earth they would fit an additional 50 odd seats in!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

marthyrarth

Not good..... get ship shape P and O!

sealink

I contacted P&O some time ago about day trips. they did reply promptly saying that they were unaware of any planned trips going on sale. Their final suggestion was to sign up to email to be the first to hear of any " offers ". With the closure of the Troon route i would have been very surprised to see any day trips going on sale. I would however like to see a competitively priced Foot passenger fare especially a day return. I like visiting Portpatrick and have no choice to travel Stena as P&O is too expensive at around £56 compared to £20 Stena.

TC

Their not doing bad to be fair. I am a little surprised at the customer service. At this time of the year they would be quite busy, but still I agree they should get back to you Steven.

Stena do the daytrips, so that probably explains why they have been dropped. Additionally I'd imagine Ulsterbus find using Stena better than P&O from a logistical perspective, less time the coaches are on the road = less fuel burnt.

The North Channel isn't a high priority area. I think the European Highlander and Causeway are in good condition for 16 years. Good reliability record. P&O keep them clean and tidy. Interior is well presented and the outside decks are always well painted and no corrosion. A lot better than Pride of Burgundy.

The crew seem to be struggling to keep up with the maintenance on the decks, and the corrosion on the funnel looks like its reappearing. Poor old Burgundy probably has only a few years left, so that might explain why they aren't investing as much in her, as lets say Pride of Rotterdam. I am told however her interior is still quite smart.

P&O have posted a note on poferries.com explaining the upgrades -

"Good News - we've just completed a number of improvements on board, with a new forward lounge on the European Highlander, new Shops and Kids areas on both ships, and over 50 more seats being available for passengers to use, including the opening of the top deck for use on sunny summer days - and with additional seating in the Reception areas to be completed this autumn, and brand new Food Courts to be created before next summer, we trust that the experience of travelling with P&O will continue to be the best we can provide."

PaddyL

Quote from: sealink on July 22, 2016, 08:47:18 PM
I contacted P&O some time ago about day trips. they did reply promptly saying that they were unaware of any planned trips going on sale. Their final suggestion was to sign up to email to be the first to hear of any " offers ". With the closure of the Troon route i would have been very surprised to see any day trips going on sale. I would however like to see a competitively priced Foot passenger fare especially a day return. I like visiting Portpatrick and have no choice to travel Stena as P&O is too expensive at around £56 compared to £20 Stena.

Long before the Troon route began, P&O were offering daytrips via Cairnryan so I'm not sure why they are making no attempt at all in this regard.

Just another sign of their lack of interest in Larne.

Niall

I'd say Larne is on borrowed time as a ferryport. It will become like Stranraer, Dun Laoghaire and Ramsgate.

TC

European Highlander and European Causeway have 15 years of life. Its highly unlikely they will be replaced, so I guess there is your answer. If P&O move to Belfast, there might be more of an incentive to invest. They could compete head on with Stena, and likely win back business they lost post Superfast VII / VIII.

Steven

P&O's lack of day trips from Larne is nothing to do with Troon tbh.  They offered day trips (such as the Stranraer show) via Cairnryan last year for example.  The only day trip via Cairnryan I am aware of them offering this year was for golf at Troon, which is a bit ironic!

It's a shame they don't put more effort into the Irish Sea services.  Both have potential IMHO. Of course passenger capacity is a constraint at Larne, but I doubt every sailing is full.  Some day trips (or targeted motorist returns) could improve load factors on less busy sailings in particular.  It's no accident for example that Stena heavily discount their day trips to Scotland on Tuesday's and Wednesdays.  Larne of course still has the railway connection to the terminal as well (albeit with reduced frequency), it's a shame P&O don't seem to have any interest in taking advantage of this.

Regarding Burgundy, I hear very little positive about her these days.  To be honest I'm surprised they haven't already taken steps to replace her given her near 25 years of continual service.  Am I right in saying Burgundy never underwent the modernisation of her systems to 'digital' that PoK and PoC did, and like Seaway still has her original 'analogue' systems?

TC

Yes your right Steven. As far as I am aware Burgundy remains pretty much as built. The repaint and refit she received back in 2003, when she was given POferries.com, was fairly basic.

Lloyd Werft did far more work with Kent and Canterbury - mechanically and cosmetically. You'd hardly twig your on a 20+ ex freighter, and the large floor to ceiling windows and spacious layout and deck space, still rival newer vessels. In my opinion the club lounge is better on Kent and Canterbury than on the Spirits.

I am off the opinion P&O paid way too much for the Spirits. Its true Aker Yards have produced some excellent and very reliable vessels (Ulysses, Oscar Wilde, Normandie, Barfleur etc.)  but regards the interior quality, it isn't that much different to their DFDS counterparts built by Samsung in South Korea. Feels a bit on the cheap in places. Lots of hard surfaces that really stand out. Its true for Dover to Calais they need to be tough and durable, but for 180 million each I do wonder if it money well spent?

P&O are looking at ordering new ships, a lot I imagine is happening behind closed doors at Channel House. Helen Deeble has indicated the project is going ahead and they are in working out the details with other parties. Not sure what direction P&O are going in South Korea - DSME? China - Guangzhou International Shipyard eg Gotland? Italy - Fincantieri?

Steven

European Endeavour has been using Birkenhead 12 quays for the past few days, I believe due to problems with the lock gates at Liverpool.

Steven

In some positive news for P&O, the company have reported they had a 7.5% increase in freight volumes in 2016 between Cairnryan and Larne, taking them to a total of 206,700 freight units for the 12 months.  This is the highest level since 2011, meaning levels have recovered to pre-Superfast levels.  They have also reported that 2016 was the first year ever they have ever had zero cancelations from the Port of Larne, with some 97% of the 4774 departures within 10 minutes of their published time.

TC

P&O have a good reliability record, I have never experienced a cancelation because of 'technical difficulties' and the ships pretty much go out in all weather.

Pride of York and Bruges are also scheduled to undergo quite a big refit in Poland, the aim being to modernise the vessels and ensure they are serviceable beyond 2020. This year marks their 30th year operating out of Hull.

Andrew White

Will be great for the Pride of York and Bruges to get a good refit, the Pride of York would need it more the the Pride of Bruges.  Does anyone know what they are upgrading onboard?.  Are they upgrading the cabins and including tv and free wifi like Stena have in cabin, some of the cabin would need modernized some look awful.
Looking forward to seeing the pics of the upgrade and look forward traveling on them in the summer,

Steven

Quote from: Andrew White on January 20, 2017, 03:40:18 PM
Will be great for the Pride of York and Bruges to get a good refit, the Pride of York would need it more the the Pride of Bruges.  Does anyone know what they are upgrading onboard?.  Are they upgrading the cabins and including tv and free wifi like Stena have in cabin, some of the cabin would need modernized some look awful.
Looking forward to seeing the pics of the upgrade and look forward traveling on them in the summer,
I recall reading somewhere they were to get a lot of technical work done (as you'd expect).  Not so sure about the passenger accommodation though.