Fastnet Line

Started by Collision-course, January 25, 2010, 06:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derekchoochoo

Thanks for those....she was smoking well where the engines hadn't had a good run for sometime I guess?

OLAU-fan_Robert

Nice pic's, thanks.

From a producer (thanks to Ted), I received the link from two recently uploaded great Youtube movies.

Olau Britannia (Wind Perfection / Julia) in 1988 Vlissingen to Sheerness including Belgian SAR helo. 12 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI5hv_eFgTE&feature=endscreen&NR=1

OLAU Britannia-2 on 28th april 1994, departure 12:00 hrs from Flushing to Sheerness incl. arrival:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmArULuzo4&feature=relmfu

giftgrub

QuoteHave a look at this, time lapse video of her leaving shot from the bridge....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/embed/hhiH5T4F-W8[/media]

Fantastic video, whoever put that together deserves some credit, very well done.

smurf

Has she made it Odesen ? Her Ais is turned off ?         I would be thinking she would be arriving today going by her progress yesterday ? Anyone know ?

derekchoochoo

No, just before midnight the Dutch coast still wasn't that far astern of her....she was on virtually a northly course, to round the top of Denmark, to be able to head down to Odense.

She was back down to 6-7 knots, so by that progress it should be tomorrow pm when she arrives.

I guess her AIS will start tracking again when she nears the northern tip of Denmark?

Quite some epic journey at those sort of speeds....she must have mechanical problems surely?

derekchoochoo

Her AIS is back on.

Amazingly she still hasn't got as far up the (western) Danish coast as Esbjerg yet (1030)....so VERY little forward progress during the night.

At that rate her arrival will be early hours Friday I would have thought?

smurf

Wow , Epic alright ! I thought she might of went the kiel canal which would of been a lot less shorter or is it suitable for ships that size ? Could it be fuel economy x amount of kms and x amount of fuel with no pit stop along the way ?

derekchoochoo

It's now 10.30pm & her progress in that 12 hours has been painfully slow....she is only about another 125-135 kms further NNE up the Danish western coastline.

Yes....I agree, it could be so she is able to do the entire trip without having to put in somewhere to bunker.

bourke646

Hi there, thanks very much for the positive feedback on the video. I had no idea there'd be the good response it has received.
It was a sad day to say goodbye to the Julia, but thankfully she's going to a good new home and employment. To see it go to scrap would have been a shame.
Captain Rommi seemed cool calm and collected, and had settled in very well.
Having had family working on board, travelled on board, and been involved with her through the port, it was a shame it didn't work out.
Hopefully in the future a new service will start again.
NB

QuoteHave a look at this, time lapse video of her leaving shot from the bridge....

Fantastic video, whoever put that together deserves some credit, very well done.

derekchoochoo

Sad event but what a stunning picture.

Collision-course

It is indeed an outstanding picture , just a shame she looks so run down , it is quite upsetting to see the state she was getting into from sitting idle and not getting any cosmetic maintenance.
Julia was a thing of beauty when she arrived in Cork in 2009 , she resembles an old rust bucket now , hopefully her new owners will restore her to her former glory.

ccs

QuoteIt is indeed an outstanding picture , just a shame she looks so run down , it is quite upsetting to see the state she was getting into from sitting idle and not getting any cosmetic maintenance.
Julia was a thing of beauty when she arrived in Cork in 2009 , she resembles an old rust bucket now , hopefully her new owners will restore her to her former glory.

Couldn't agree more. Sad to see the way she went. Big change from September 2009

Collision-course

Those bring back memories , I remember the day she arrived , I could'nt get down to see her arrive but got there an hour or two later where I met Connor Buckley coming down the gangway and managed to twist his arm into getting a VIP owners tour , when we reached the outside viewing area in front of the funnel I had a minute to admire the views from there , I have to say it was one of the proudest moments I have had during my career in transport , but now sadly it is overshadowed by the heartbreak of watching her leave in commercial defeat.

ccs

Those were taken on Friday 25th September which I'm fairly sure was the day she arrived in Cork.

Collision-course

Yep thats the day alright.