Fastnet Line

Started by Collision-course, January 25, 2010, 06:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collision-course

The Julia has left Horgans Quay and is now at Ringaskiddy where she will remain until she heads to Swansea for drydocking.

a2engineers

Great to see the award of "Cork Person of the Year"
going to Conor Buckley. In my mind "Irish Person of the Year".

Well done Conor and all the team!!!

In looking forward to the new relaxing way to UK, I will miss following the campgain on www.bringbackthesweanseacorkferry.com watching
he dream becoming a reality.

Collision-course

I too was delighted to see Conor Buckley win the award , well deserved in my opinion.

derekchoochoo

Good to hear she's at Ringaskiddy now - anyone know when she's going over to Swansea for dry docking, as I'd like to get some pics from Cobh. Very soon I guess, as time starting to get a little tight - as presumably extra time needs to be allowed over there for fitting of the new internal bow doors?

Collision-course

I saw Julia at Ringaskiddy today , she is an impressive sight docked at the terminal , as far as I know she leaves for Swansea on Saturday but I have no idea what time , probarbly early morning.
I believe the onboard work is well advanced and nearly complete , I may be wrong but I think there is very little left to be done at Swansea , there is no need to drydock the ship to fit the internal doors so that may already be done.

derekchoochoo

I guess she just has to come out the water for yearly ultra sonic testing etc, for certification purposes - so should be back in plenty of time for 1/3 then.

morris23

Looking forward to seeing her in swansea over weekend. Im booked on the first sailing cant wait!

Kieran

I believe the onboard work is well advanced and nearly complete , I may be wrong but I think there is very little left to be done at Swansea , there is no need to drydock the ship to fit the internal doors so that may already be done.

Legally a ship must be taken out of the water once ever year for survey and to have her hull painted...

The below was in the South Wales Evening Post
QuoteThe MV Julia will undergo a series of tests and overhauls at Swansea's dry docks. Marine engineers Harris Pye will carry out the work. The blue and white vessel will remain in Swansea for most of February, said operators Fastnet Line.

A new childrens play area will be built and four new deluxe cabins will be added to the existing 10.

Kieran

And, at the moment, her estimated time of departure is 05.00 on Sunday...

derekchoochoo

I see the report on the Swansea-Cork site tonight (31/1) says she is now in the Harris Pye drydock in Swansea, so that's great news (and a lovely day for the trip across!). No mention of the internal bow doors to be fitted over there however - anyone know if that has already been done at Horgans Quay then, or are they still to be fitted when she gets back to Ringaskiddy in late February - or does she now comply as she already is, as a 'flagged out' vessel, as opposed to the original Irish registered proposal? Whatever, it's good to see another positive step today towards the 1/3 resumption of the service.

Collision-course

I dont know how strict Bermuda is about saftey equipment on ships flagged there (fairly high I am told) but Fastnet Line is very interested in the safety of the ship , its passengers and crew and will make the modifications weather they are manditory or not.
If I recall correctly it was people from the Port Of Cork who drew up the list of recommended saftey alterations , and all the recommendations were taken onboard by Fastnet Line and all will be implimented , aside from the fact that the Port Of Cork was very generous with lending its time and expertise to the project , they are a very professional organisition with many extremely talented people who really do know their stuff , their contribution has been invaluable.

derekchoochoo

Its really good to hear Port of Cork are so well behind this project. Look forward to sailing & seeing the upgrades, refurbishment & mods.

Kieran

QuoteNo mention of the internal bow doors to be fitted over there however - anyone know if that has already been done at Horgans Quay then, or are they still to be fitted when she gets back to Ringaskiddy in late February - or does she now comply as she already is

The work on her "bow doors" (it was, as far as I know a partition door, not her actual bow doors) was done in Cork already. She is being dry docked for surveys and the addition of the Childrens Play Area and Cabins.

The Department of Transport, and our fine government have proven over the past two decades that they do not want Ireland to have a merchant shipping fleet, and getting a vessel on the Irish flag is not an easy task.
The Julia's registered owners are Fastnet Line Ltd, Cork and her registered managers are Fastnet Line Ship Management, Cork so I am sure that in time she will fly the Irish flag, but at the moment I do not see how it is essential to the launch of the service.

Also, the Bahaman flag has very strict requirements attached to it (I remember a story about the Oscar Wilde and the size of text used in onboard signage....). Flagging a ship is a lot more complex that people realise....

derekchoochoo

Be nice - if in time - she can fly the Irish flag, but true, not essential for start of operations.

Collision-course

The Department of Transport, and our fine government have proven over the past two decades that they do not want Ireland to have a merchant shipping fleet, and getting a vessel on the Irish flag is not an easy task.

quote]

Fully agree here , it is incredable that for an island nation our government has shown a total disregard for the importance of the shipping industry , and indeed the maratime industry as a whole , that coupled that the department tasked with managing those industries knowing very little about ship operations and commercial operation of ships only adds to the problem , if only the dept's were staffed with people like those at the Port Of Cork we would be in buisness , until that happens Ireland is condemmed to having one of the smallest merchant fleets of an island nation in the world.