Former Stena Lagan in trouble

Started by giftgrub, August 29, 2022, 08:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Looks like they have restored power and on the way back to port

giftgrub

Wow, bullet dodged with that one, crew managed to save that by getting the fire out, not the first deck fire at sea (and on similar vessels), maybe time to increase the level/power/type of the fire suppression systems used on ferries we travel on.

giftgrub

Report into the fire onboard the Stena Scandica, formerly the Irish Sea based Stena Lagan has been published, very interesting reading and great work from the crew.

https://dmaib.com/Media/638294013795551323/STENA%20SCANDICA%20-%20Fire%20on%2029%20August%202023.pdf

Link originally posted on the ferry forum

https://theferryforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=342&sid=9a56c79eec009ccba3d6d41fe9c82f5e

jpwoodh

I read the report over lunch.  It's reasons like this that I only travel with reputable operators with skilled, and not bargain basement crew.  (I'm thinking of other Irish Sea operators).

If you are short of time, skip to the conclusion - the crew saved the day, and worked through the stress of multiple layered system failures.

I never have a problem paying more to travel on Stena, and this confirms my opinion.

Wilty

As the report said the officers were made up of a mix of Baltic nationalities, I would bet that more than a few of them had been with Irish Ferries at some point in the past.

jpwoodh

I'm not saying particular nationalities are good or bad sailors, but the high turnover agency staffing model would have led to a very different outcome here.   

Think of the P&O plan to replace 95%+ of the crew on their ships overnight. 

Irish_Steve

Read that report a few days ago, and wondered about a number of things, like out of date cable tray maps, and lack of adequate cable protection, and right now, I'm sitting on Stena Estrid running on one engine , 'for safety reasons' in sea conditions that should not have caused problems, so my comfort factor with Stena has just gone down several levels.

Wondering if marine accident investigation will be notified of this incident or not, anyone know what the rules are?

giftgrub

Quote from: Irish_Steve on September 19, 2023, 11:23:17 PMRead that report a few days ago, and wondered about a number of things, like out of date cable tray maps, and lack of adequate cable protection, and right now, I'm sitting on Stena Estrid running on one engine , 'for safety reasons' in sea conditions that should not have caused problems, so my comfort factor with Stena has just gone down several levels.

Wondering if marine accident investigation will be notified of this incident or not, anyone know what the rules are?

Not sure of the exact rules but i would think a vessel running on one engine which its designed to do (and can travel at up to 18 knts when doing so) compared with a fire on a car deck causing complete loss of power are two very different things and that it would not be something which requires investigation.

Details on  Marine Accident Investigation on the following link

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/marine-accident-investigation-branch