Cherbourg and beyond

Started by drrummer, November 29, 2022, 04:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drrummer

Hello.

We are considering a short break to France.  Specifically Rosslare-Cherbourg route.

Are there any locations within and hour or so of Cherbourg that would make a nice getaway in January ?

Thank you.

marsav68

September 2021 we did a short break in Bayeux. It has an excellent range of restaurants and is really central for doing the Normandy beaches, War cemeteries & Sainte-Mère-Église. We also traveled one day from Bayeux down to Mont Saint-Michel.
We used AirBNB on this occasion, but going again next year and using a hotel. 

drrummer

Hi.  Thank you for your reply.

Yes, we are considering Bayeux, but also Caen.   The difficulty at this time of year is finding somewhere large enough to be explorable.  However, the good lady likes coastal places, as do I tbf.

I think Caen might be a good option as there seems to be a regular bus connection to Ouistreahan for some sea-air.   As for the War Tourism, it's not out thing.  In fact it's a bit irksome how so much Normandy attractions are centred on military history.

Having said that, it wouldn't ruin our holiday.  It's just that an internet search throws up so much of that type of thing.

ccs

3 places within half hour of Cherbourg worth a visit are the seaside villages of Barfleur and Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue (voted Frances favourite village in 2019) and the giant Gatteville lighthouse. All are on coast road east from Cherbourg. I wouldn't think there would be a lot happening there in January but all definitely worth a detour on your way to or from Cherbourg.   

drrummer

Hi.  Thanks for your input.

Yes, have noticed Barfleur, but it seems a little sparse.  As you say, January might be quiet time for such a location.  We're considering Caen - it seems larger and more likely to have some life.

Another factor I neglected to mention, is that the location needs to be on a bus-route or train-line.  We'll be travelling as foot-passengers.

Lurker

Bayeux and eat in La Maison B. Great fun restaurant. The pre dinner gin cocktails (€8.50 each) involved the waitress putting a bottle of gin on the table and letting us decide how strong we wanted our drink. I'll definitely go back on my next wine cruise.

drrummer

Hello.  Thanks for the input.   Unfortunately the trip will not be going ahead at this point.

Cupcoffee

For future information as you cant go this time, we stayed 3 days in Caen a few years back.  I wouldn't recommend it for more than 1 night. Y The D Day museum is fantastic but night life is poor. Far better and picturesque is Granville on the other coast. We are returning there in 2023. There is a vibrant Saturday market. We try to stay near Cherbourg for the last night of our holidays, a short drive of an hour or 2 is perfect. Honfleur is also an option, very pretty but oh so expensive.

A83

Never stayed in Granville, often wondered if it was worth dropping into. I seem to recall Barneville Carteret was worth a look. We have often stayed in the Mercure in Cherbourg which we found to be a really good hotel, which has periodically offered free breakfast to those of us over a certain age. Furthermore there are some good restaurants on the west side of the harbour on the Quai Caligny.

drrummer

Love the info guys.  Thanks so much.  Will be bookmarking some this stuff.