Calais Seaways

Started by ferryfan, August 09, 2021, 03:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferryfan

Rumours that Calais Seaways, having been replaced by the new Côte D'Opale, is bound for Irish Ferries as the 2nd ship on the Dover Calais route. These rumours have been on other forums and sites for a few months with nothing to back it up. It is now on her wiki page
"Speculation and rumours have surfaced that she might be sold to Irish Ferries and complement the Isle of Inishmore on their Dover-Calais service, however no official statement has been released from either DFDS, Irish Ferries or anyone else, so her future for now is uncertain".
I don't know but good 2nd hand tonnage is a bit scarce so maybe a short term charter?

hhvferry

A charter is highly unlikely I think.
The most plausible scenario is that IF agreed a purchase of her before their Dover-Calais operation became widely known and DFDS haven't been able to find a way out of it.
The only thing that makes me pause for thought is that ICG haven't made any stock market announcement about such a commitment to purchase but they could probably find ways around that if they put their minds to it.

IFPete

Calais Seaways in in Layup at the moment and is on standbye until the new ship settles down into operation.

Irish Ferries have a trading update before the end of August and if anything is happening it will be released at that time.

Kieran

Looks like she is to be renamed Isle of Innisfree.

IFPete

There is another rumour doing the rounds that she is staying with DFD's until March 2022 as drydock cover.

I suspect this is wishful thinking on behalf of Calais based crew.

Irish Ferries in their half year results stated they had contracted an additional ferry to enter service in its operations in Q4 2021.

12345teacher

This was posted on Dover Ferrie Enthusiasts ......Sep 9, 2021 at 1:39pm markos said:
Latest rumour, Irish ferries will change Calais for a Belgian port in the spring of 2022!!
Bad results on Calais-Dover have forced Irish ferries to change their cross channel plans.
Hopefully more news to come soon! I've mailed the ports of Ostend/Zeebrugge and IF...so far no responds...

IFPete

Irish Ferries have made Dover - Calais a Strategic Route. See their results posting for H1 2021.

They are more likely to buy P&O out than to pull out of Dover Calais.

There has been a drop off of freight during the summer months due to a variety of factors.

When Calais Seaways " Isle of Inishfree "enters service i am confident their business will pick up.

Its very possible a second route is on their radar when the 3rd ferry arrives in 2022.

A83

Interesting points made there. But would IF have the financial firepower to buy out P and O's Dover Calais route?

IFPete

They would if it made financial sense to do so.

A83

Any sign of Calais Seaways starting up the Dover Calais service for IF?

IFPete

Irish Ferries will introduce 2nd Ferry on Dover Calais route in Late November.

Time will tell if its Calais Seaways

ferryfan

At last! glad to see they are recycling the Isle of Innisfree name too.

Jamie1608

Been looking for any updates, can't find any.

It's moved in Dunkirk.