Irish Ferries to charter Blue Star 1

Started by ferryfan, March 21, 2021, 04:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferryfan

ferryfan

The big attraction for hauliers is the Common Transit Convention which "allows for the simplified and swift movement of goods from EU member state to another via a non-EU member". I imagine it means less red tape and easier customs regulations.

ferryfan

Now showing on timetable for the 20:45 ex Rosslare on the 6th April. Timetable also showing Swift resuming on the 25th May?

hhvferry

Quote from: CH1 on March 26, 2021, 09:09:19 AM
I guess that this new service will start effectively with Irish Ferries buying or chartering ex-Calais Seaways, which is due to cease service with DFDS in June 2021.
I can't see why DFDS would sell or charter her  to Irish Ferries to use against them.

giftgrub

Quote from: ccs on March 26, 2021, 09:35:27 AM
Quote from: giftgrub on March 25, 2021, 08:31:41 PM

No prizes, but what links Blue Star 1 and several other vessels on the Irish Sea ?

Built in the same shipyard?

Correct current and former Irish Sea vessels

Koningin Beatrix now SNAV Adriatico
Isle of Innisfree now Kaitaki
Isle of Inishmore
Ben my Chree
Norbay
Norbank

giftgrub

Quote from: hhvferry on March 26, 2021, 02:46:40 PM
Quote from: CH1 on March 26, 2021, 09:09:19 AM
I guess that this new service will start effectively with Irish Ferries buying or chartering ex-Calais Seaways, which is due to cease service with DFDS in June 2021.
I can't see why DFDS would sell or charter her  to Irish Ferries to use against them.

Also will DFDS and P&O welcome Irish Ferries with open arms !, P&O have two ferries they can reactivate bringing them to six, and DFDS can keep Calais Seaways and have an additional vessel (bring them to seven) with sailings at the multi time offering.

Obviously no idea what's the end game, but don't see how this improves the landbridge offer at all, there has not been a shortage of space in Dover for Irish trucks as far as we are aware.

Genuinely had to check the calendar when I saw this news this morning and thought it was elaborate April fools PR stuff.

Kieran

Quote from: giftgrub on March 26, 2021, 07:28:55 PM
Also will DFDS and P&O welcome Irish Ferries with open arms !, P&O have two ferries they can reactivate bringing them to six, and DFDS can keep Calais Seaways and have an additional vessel (bring them to seven) with sailings at the multi time offering.

Obviously no idea what's the end game, but don't see how this improves the landbridge offer at all, there has not been a shortage of space in Dover for Irish trucks as far as we are aware.

Genuinely had to check the calendar when I saw this news this morning and thought it was elaborate April fools PR stuff.

I've been trying to figure this one out all day, what if they are right, what if it is an extension to the land-bridge, which they continually claim is the most efficient way to get to the content.

If they opened up from Dover, it would mean they could offer hauliers the cheapest and fastest crossings to France in one booking. They have obviously done their research here, there is a cost to chartering a ferry to cover Rosslare, then the cost of establishing a new service, so there is a thought out plan behind it.

alfie79

Quote from: alfie79 on March 26, 2021, 09:57:38 PM
I've been trying to figure this one out all day, what if they are right, what if it is an extension to the land-bridge, which they continually claim is the most efficient way to get to the content.

If they opened up from Dover, it would mean they could offer hauliers the cheapest and fastest crossings to France in one booking. They have obviously done their research here, there is a cost to chartering a ferry to cover Rosslare, then the cost of establishing a new service, so there is a thought out plan behind it.

I have being doing the same and i agree with you their party line was the landbridge was the efficient way to get to mainline europe,
ever since ICG took over B&I  landbridge with P&O was the main driving, french run was always the bridemaids
only recently with the new build WB Yeats did they seem to show interest in the french which was surprising because they always went for  second hand ships
[/quote]

Futureskipper

Just seen these photo of Blue Star 1 on linkedin

The insider

Who cares about the flag logo on the funnel...to be honest they shouldnt be allow call themselves Irish or have a shamrock any where near them

Chef

Quote from: The insider on March 30, 2021, 12:35:13 AM
Who cares about the flag logo on the funnel...to be honest they shouldnt be allow call themselves Irish or have a shamrock any where near them
Well they are an Irish registered company so what else would they call themselves , the ships just happen to be registered in a fellow EU country just like Arklow shipping who  have the prefix " Arklow" on all their ships with nineteen of the ships registered in Holland  flying the Dutch flag . There is also the chartered vessels in Irish Ferries livery , Epsilon Italian flag and now Blue Star 1 flying the Greek flag , all fellow EU countries .

The insider

How many Irish crew on their ships ...??..dont forget Irish Ferries almost killed off the last of the Irish seafares in favour of cheap labour ...pure corparate greed ..ruthless company in my opinion ...an island nation with practicly no merchant navy

Chef

Quote from: The insider on March 30, 2021, 04:08:05 PM
How many Irish crew on their ships ...??..dont forget Irish Ferries almost killed off the last of the Irish seafares in favour of cheap labour ...pure corparate greed ..ruthless company in my opinion ...an island nation with practicly no merchant navy
Well if that's the case then the Irish fishing fleet are as guilty , most of their crews are from Eastern Europe and North African, why is that ! something to do with Irish people don't want to do that type of work anymore plain and simple.

Kieran

Mod note: Can we keep discussion on topic please? This discussion of the crewing is of no relevance to the charter of Blue Star 1.

The insider

I have been working at sea since 1990 i know what im talking about thats all i have to say about that.....p.s 13 years with Irish Ferries