Direct Ferries to the Continent must be sailing by January - IRHA

Started by ccs, September 23, 2020, 06:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A83

RTE analysis of the direct to France Ro/Ro, Ro/Pax situation last evening.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1110/1177265-hauliers-brexit-landbridge/

again they mention talks between Rosslare port and a ferry company, all very mysterious.

One thing seems clear hauliers want a [daily] Rosslare departure point as it makes for the shortest trip to France.

ferryfan

Irish government have launched a communication campaign advising business to get ready and to consider using direct routes to the continent.

Trucker

Quote from: Trucker on October 18, 2020, 08:48:37 PM
I had a conversation last week with a guy thats involved in the food export market ,and info he has been given is that DFDS are looking at the possibility of starting a daily Ro Ro from Rosslare to Dunkirk.
To complete within 20 hours though would require a steady 25 knots per hour.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-direct-ferry-to-dunkirk-will-be-valuable-entry-point-for-lorries-to-europe-after-brexit-1.4420716

ferryfan

This is a huge commitment by DFDS 3 vessels dedicated to a new route some speculation that MV Kerry could be one of the vessels. Have the existing operators being caught napping or were they just not willing to take the gamble? time will tell. A 24 hour crossing as opposed to a 15 or 16 hour crossing through Holyhead/Rosslare to Dover might make sense.
If you allow for the mandatory driver breaks ie 45 minutes break after every 4 1/2 hours,the drive from Holyhead to Dover takes approx 9 hours depending on traffic the two ferry crossing times 3/12 and 2 hours and waiting times say an hour at each port  come to a travel time of approximately 18 hours then add in the unknown the new customs procedures which I suspect will ad at least a couple more hours.
Further details are expected later today from DFDS.

Chef

Quote from: ferryfan on November 27, 2020, 11:35:19 AM
This is a huge commitment by DFDS 3 vessels dedicated to a new route some speculation that MV Kerry could be one of the vessels. Have the existing operators being caught napping or were they just not willing to take the gamble? time will tell. A 24 hour crossing as opposed to a 15 or 16 hour crossing through Holyhead/Rosslare to Dover might make sense.
If you allow for the mandatory driver breaks ie 45 minutes break after every 4 1/2 hours,the drive from Holyhead to Dover takes approx 9 hours depending on traffic the two ferry crossing times 3/12 and 2 hours and waiting times say an hour at each port  come to a travel time of approximately 18 hours then add in the unknown the new customs procedures which I suspect will ad at least a couple more hours.
Further details are expected later today from DFDS.
Plus the 3 to 3 and a half hours to cross to the UK from Dublin or Rosslare .

awaityourreply

Meanwhile, another ferry provider CLdN has announced it will run a second service from Cork to Zeebrugge in Belgium to cope with extra demand.

The addition of a second call customers customers will have a quicker turnaround, as well as bypassing the UK land bridge and avoiding unnecessary border checks, ensuring cargo flows more effectively and in a cost-efficient manor from Ireland direct to the continent.

Conor Mowlds, Port of Cork Chief Commercial Officer said: "In these extraordinary times a second direct Ro-Con freight link with Europe from Cork, Ireland?s primary southern gateway reinforces our commitment to supporting businesses in the region and preparing for any eventuality Brexit may bring."

Source: Irish Examiner
https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-40091360.html

CH1

Do you think that the Cherbourg service could be shadowed very soon by this new route ? I don't know how Stena and Irish Ferries will handle this ...

IFPete

We are comparing apples and cabbages here.

Both Stena and Irish Ferries dont see the investment being worth it. In fact Irish Ferries will run run a freight only service  on Dublin - Cherbourg from 1 Jan 2021 to 25 May 2021 according to current timetables.

The big question will be will there be enough denand for the new DFD service to last beyond easter.

awaityourreply

I recall that Brittany Ferries had also announced in recent months of it's intentions to begin a new Rosslare to Cherbourg service as from 22nd March, 2021 until late October as a seasonal service.

I wonder if today's announcement by DFDS to commence it's new Rosslare to Dunkirk route X 6 days a week starting on 2nd January will impact on Brittany Ferries plans in this regard?

Trucker

Had a further conversation today with the guy that initially speculated about this back in October, for which he has been proved right.
Further speculation now that containers will be shipped on this route rather than from Dublin or Waterford to Rotterdam.
One of the main carriers his company use is DFDS shipping fron Waterford twice weekly ,and this new route will inprove the company KPI's , offering quicker delivery times from production to customer.
Win win for DFDS really ,and would make this route very compettitive ,and viable.

Kieran

Quote from: awaityourreply on November 27, 2020, 11:46:55 PM

I recall that Brittany Ferries had also announced in recent months of it's intentions to begin a new Rosslare to Cherbourg service as from 22nd March, 2021 until late October as a seasonal service.

I wonder if today's announcement by DFDS to commence it's new Rosslare to Dunkirk route X 6 days a week starting on 2nd January will impact on Brittany Ferries plans in this regard?

I was under the impression they are appealing to different markets. DFDS aren't planning on promoting the new route to passengers for the moment, whereas Brittany Ferries will promote Cherbourg. I think Covid restrictions will do more damage than competition.

awaityourreply

True, I read that DFDS are initially focusing it's new Rosslare to Dunkirk route on freight although; they may expand it further by promoting it as a tourist option at a later stage if demand is there. While I appreciate that Brittany Ferries new Rosslare to Cherbourg seasonal service will permit passengers much like it's existing Rosslare to Bilbao service (and previously Cork to Santander) I think it's unlikely to be hugely popular with passengers given the vessel used (i.e.) "Connemara". All of these services are primarily aimed at the freight business sector unlike say Brittany Ferries Cork to Roscoff service on it's flagship vessel, "Pont Aven" on Saturdays ex-Cork - in fact, I almost forgot with all the announcements in recent months that Brittany Ferries is also providing a additional Cork to Roscoff sailing option using cruise ferry "Armorique" on Wednesday afternoons next season.

awaityourreply

Listening to Verona Murphy Independent TD on "The Tonight Show" with Matt Cooper on Virgin Media One tv tonight, she seemed to suggest that there may be further announcements of Other new services ex-Rosslare to the continent.
I wonder what other options could emerge for Rosslare Europort?

Next season you'll have the following:

To Continental Europe:

Rosslare to Cherbourg - Stena Line
Rosslare to Cherbourg - Brittany Ferries (new seasonal service to launch as from March)
Rosslare to Bilbao - Brittany Ferries
Rosslare to Dunkirk - DFDS (initially a Freight only service starting in January X 6 times a week)
Rosslare to Portbury And/Or Rosslare to Santander - Neptune Lines (Freight only service)
Rosslare to ____ - Which operator?
Rosslare to ____ - Which operator?

To South Wales, UK:

Rosslare to Pembroke Dock - Irish Ferries (ICG)
Rosslare to Fishguard - Stena Line

Kieran

Quote from: awaityourreply on December 08, 2020, 11:57:05 PM
Listening to Verona Murphy Independent TD on "The Tonight Show" with Matt Cooper on Virgin Media One tv tonight, she seemed to suggest that there may be further announcements of Other new services ex-Rosslare to the continent.
I wonder what other options could emerge for Rosslare Europort?

I imagine the Department of Transport alongside the likes of Rosslare, Cork and Dublin are in discussions with a number of operators still, what will happen is anyone's guess!