How will Ferry Operators stimulate business in 2021 post COVID-19?

Started by awaityourreply, July 24, 2020, 04:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awaityourreply

Following a major announcement made by Brittany Ferries yesterday regarding it's route network between Ireland & France and Ireland & Spain for 2021 one would wonder whether the other major carriers using ports across Ireland are planning similar changes. Of course, some of the changes may relate to the post COVID-19 lockdown and restrictions on non-essential travel to key markets outside Ireland during the current trading year 2020 and there is also likely to be a BREXIT factor - (i.e.) end of transition coming by end of December.

Will we see ICG owned Irish Ferries introduce any changes to frequency, additional routes, examination of it's ports of origin/destination in it's network?

How will STENA Line react to a Rosslare Cherbourg route run by competitor operator, Brittany Ferries out of Rosslare Europort where it also serves?

Meanwhile, if the UK fails to agree a new trade treaty with the European Union and adopts WTO rules, we may see a return to Duty Free Shopping which could stimulate a new strategy on all air & sea routes to/from UK going forward from next January. Will the "Booze Cruise" make a return in 2021 which is now only a few months away!

Brittany Ferries has already revealed it's plans for 2021
https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-to-launch-new-rosslare-cherbourg-route-in-2021-while-also-increasing-capacity-on-cork-roscoff-route/

Irish Ferries (ICG) - any changes planned for 2021 ?

STENA Line - any changes planned for 2021 ?

P&O Ferries - any changes planned for 2021 ?

Seatruck Ferries - any changes planned for 2021 ?

Isle of Man Steam Packet Company - changes for 2021 ?

Manx Ferries - changes for 2021 ?

Interesting times ahead for the travel industry with so many Irish/British/European citizens not travelling this summer - Will next year be much busier than a typical summer following such prolonged restrictions on movement during 2020?   

Niall

Irish Ferries, Stena Line, P&O and Seatruck have no changes planned for next year except that Stena Embla wil enter service during the secon half of 2021.

Kieran

Honestly, at the moment, no one knows what will be happening in August at the moment, forget about next year.

I imagine the operators have plans in place for various scenarios, however, Covid19 is only part of the problem, I imagine Brexit is a far bigger issue for ferry operators on the Irish Sea (P&O, Stena and ICG) - freight is reliable money, not passengers.

At a guess, ICG cancelling the second order at FSG would suggest they don't expect to be massively expanding operations in the near future. BF expanding out of both Cork and Rosslare may lead to some reaction, but hard to predict at the moment.

awaityourreply

Quote from: Niall on July 24, 2020, 06:59:01 PM
Irish Ferries, Stena Line, P&O and Seatruck have no changes planned for next year except that Stena Embla wil enter service during the secon half of 2021.

Is it known yet what route(s) Stena Embla will be operating on following it's introduction in 2021 or this still unclear?

awaityourreply

Quote from: Kieran on July 24, 2020, 09:00:00 PM
Honestly, at the moment, no one knows what will be happening in August at the moment, forget about next year.

I imagine the operators have plans in place for various scenarios, however, Covid19 is only part of the problem, I imagine Brexit is a far bigger issue for ferry operators on the Irish Sea (P&O, Stena and ICG) - freight is reliable money, not passengers.

At a guess, ICG cancelling the second order at FSG would suggest they don't expect to be massively expanding operations in the near future. BF expanding out of both Cork and Rosslare may lead to some reaction, but hard to predict at the moment.

Although Brittany Ferries does not currently operate any Ireland to UK direct routes, I think it will also be a headache for BF given that it runs multiple routes between UK-France and UK-Spain in terms of Brexit and the end of transition period getting closer and closer by the day. The whole prospect of Duty Free Shopping on all routes to/from the UK a more likely outcome from January as there is the potential to generate much needed additional revenue streams.

It was interesting to read on Thursday 23rd July that Brittany Ferries is confident by investing this early out of Cork as it apparently considers Cork to Roscoff routes more reliant on tourist/passenger market versus freight volumes sector. One thing seems clear in recent days, Brittany Ferries has demonstrated it's future commitment to it's Cork operations following it's expansion to Rosslare Europort earlier this year. Cork seems to be it's main Irish base for sustaining/growing it's passenger tourist traffic while it's Rosslare Europort base is mainly focused on growing freight volumes to/from Ireland.

I suspect that Irish Ferries, Stena Line and perhaps other operators will also want "a slice of the pie" as a higher number of people are likely to want to get out of Ireland next summer having been discouraged to travel abroad this season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 2021 will be a huge challenge for the tourist industry both at home and abroad as providers will be keen to generate additional revenue after a disastrous 2020.

Fastnet Line was a shortlived successor to Swansea Cork Ferries on the former Cork to Swansea ferry route which ended sailings in 2011 with the vessel MV Julia. B+I Line had also operated routes between Cork and various South Wales ports: Fishguard/Swansea/Pembroke Dock down through the years until Summer 1983.
ICG owned Irish Ferries used also operate summer seasonal services out of Cork for a number of years with it's former Cork to Le Havre and Cork to Cherbourg links until 1997 although; these routes ceased to operate when St.Killian II and St.Patrick II vessels were being sold by the company.

Will other ferry operators be considering the Port of Cork's Ringaskiddy ferryport for 2021 and beyond in a changed world with the possibility of Duty Free Shopping returning on routes to/from UK?

Perhaps we could we see additional continental services ex-Cork to France/Spain etc; from other operators.

Will other changes happen at Rosslare Europort among other carriers namely, Irish Ferries and STENA Line etc;?

Will Dun Laoghaire ever see ferries berth again if Dublin Port becomes too congested in the years ahead - Do STENA Line currently own the former ferry terminal and any of the associated facilities at Dun Laoghaire nowadays?

Dublin Port ferry traffic - how will it cope in the event of a hard BREXIT ?

Matt73

Quote from: awaityourreply on July 25, 2020, 12:20:17 AM

Although Brittany Ferries does not currently operate any Ireland to UK direct routes, I think it will also be a headache for BF given that it runs multiple routes between UK-France and UK-Spain in terms of Brexit and the end of transition period getting closer and closer by the day. The whole prospect of Duty Free Shopping on all routes to/from the UK a more likely outcome from January as there is the potential to generate much needed additional revenue streams.

It was interesting to read on Thursday 23rd July that Brittany Ferries is confident by investing this early out of Cork as it apparently considers Cork to Roscoff routes more reliant on tourist/passenger market versus freight volumes sector. One thing seems clear in recent days, Brittany Ferries has demonstrated it's future commitment to it's Cork operations following it's expansion to Rosslare Europort earlier this year. Cork seems to be it's main Irish base for sustaining/growing it's passenger tourist traffic while it's Rosslare Europort base is mainly focused on growing freight volumes to/from Ireland.

I suspect that Irish Ferries, Stena Line and perhaps other operators will also want "a slice of the pie" as a higher number of people are likely to want to get out of Ireland next summer having been discouraged to travel abroad this season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 2021 will be a huge challenge for the tourist industry both at home and abroad as providers will be keen to generate additional revenue after a disastrous 2020.

Fastnet Line was a shortlived successor to Swansea Cork Ferries on the former Cork to Swansea ferry route which ended sailings in 2011 with the vessel MV Julia. B+I Line had also operated routes between Cork and various South Wales ports: Fishguard/Swansea/Pembroke Dock down through the years until Summer 1983.
ICG owned Irish Ferries used also operate summer seasonal services out of Cork for a number of years with it's former Cork to Le Havre and Cork to Cherbourg links until 1997 although; these routes ceased to operate when St.Killian II and St.Patrick II vessels were being sold by the company.

Will other ferry operators be considering the Port of Cork's Ringaskiddy ferryport for 2021 and beyond in a changed world with the possibility of Duty Free Shopping returning on routes to/from UK?

Perhaps we could we see additional continental services ex-Cork to France/Spain etc; from other operators.

Will other changes happen at Rosslare Europort among other carriers namely, Irish Ferries and STENA Line etc;?

Will Dun Laoghaire ever see ferries berth again if Dublin Port becomes too congested in the years ahead - Do STENA Line currently own the former ferry terminal and any of the associated facilities at Dun Laoghaire nowadays?

If duty free is on the horizon, I cannot imagine any of the UK based operators not taking the opportunity. 

As far as Dun Laoghaire is concerned, why would anybody bother with it, given the superior facilities close by in Dublin?   

Niall

Quote from: awaityourreply on July 24, 2020, 11:24:51 PM
Quote from: Niall on July 24, 2020, 06:59:01 PM

Is it known yet what route(s) Stena Embla will be operating on following it's introduction in 2021 or this still unclear?

Stena Embla will be operating the Belfast - Birkenhead route alongside sister ship Stena Edda. Embla replaces Stena Mersey which will be going to Tuzla in Turkey for lengthening

awaityourreply

Quote from: Matt73 on July 25, 2020, 05:30:28 PM
Quote from: awaityourreply on July 25, 2020, 12:20:17 AM

If duty free is on the horizon, I cannot imagine any of the UK based operators not taking the opportunity. 

As far as Dun Laoghaire is concerned, why would anybody bother with it, given the superior facilities close by in Dublin?

Long delays and traffic congestion for road hauliers using Dublin Port in the event of a hard Brexit which is becoming increasingly likely as each day passes.

If the UK does not agree trade terms with the E.U. and no extension to the transition trading period is agreed it will result in a lot more red-tape leading to more rigorous inspection checking etc;
Dun Laoghaire might then become a more welcome option as still quite close to Dublin. When Dun Laoghaire closed, I suspect the current set of circumstances were not on the agenda. Maybe things won't be so bad after 1st January if a hard Brexit occurs however; all concerned do need to make reasonable preparations to mitigate against negative aspects as trade has been damaged enough by all the uncertainty of late.

Chef

No longer a link span in Dun Laoghaire , Stena took it away after they left . Plus the pier would need to be extended to accommodate present sized ferries .

awaityourreply

Yeah I recall that Stena had applied for permission to dismantle it's ferry berthing equipment at Dun Laoghaire some time after it's last summer seasonal services between Dun Laoghaire and Holyhead in Wales had ended. I gather all such apparatus has since been removed altogether as this was about 5 years ago.

Sources:

https://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/29946-stena-line-looking-to-remove-hss-berth-at-dun-laoghaire-pier

https://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/32181-disused-stena-hss-berth-structures-to-be-removed-from-dun-laoghaire#:~:text=%23HSSberth%20%E2%80%93%20The%20disused%20Stena%20HSS,to%20complete%2C%20writes%20Jehan%20Ashmore.

https://dlharbour200.ie/by-dun-laoghaire-no-more/

Niall

Quote from: Chef on July 26, 2020, 11:57:52 PM
No longer a link span in Dun Laoghaire , Stena took it away after they left . Plus the pier would need to be extended to accommodate present sized ferries .

That is not quite true. The HSS infrastructure was dismantled at berth 5, but the ramp that was used by the Lynx is still in place at berth 4 minus linkspan pontoon. So any future operator would use berth 4 which could be operational within a few weeks.

Kieran

Quote from: Niall on July 27, 2020, 04:59:34 PM
That is not quite true. The HSS infrastructure was dismantled at berth 5, but the ramp that was used by the Lynx is still in place at berth 4 minus linkspan pontoon. So any future operator would use berth 4 which could be operational within a few weeks.

I suspect the linkspan is the least for anyone's worried in Dun Laoghaire, has anyone heard anything about the development of the terminal building?

Niall

Quote from: Kieran on July 27, 2020, 05:57:30 PM
Quote from: Niall on July 27, 2020, 04:59:34 PM

I suspect the linkspan is the least for anyone's worried in Dun Laoghaire, has anyone heard anything about the development of the terminal building?

Absoloutely nothing

Fast Ferry Fan

I think I would now feel quite safe travelling by ferry, with plenty of opportunity for fresh air on deck. I'd quite like to take my bike and do a day / overnight trip to Wales.  All foot passenger special offers seem to have been withdrawn on IF / Stena as far as I can see.

Meanwhile I could jump on a plane for 9.99ew if I wanted to.

Is the subsidy the ferry companies have been given allowing them to cherry pick their business too much?

Cupcoffee

Does anyone know when Irish Ferries will publish 2021 January sailings to France?