Stena Lynx Cancelled?

Started by boomer, April 26, 2010, 11:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomer

Does anyone know why the Stena Lynx sailings from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead are cancelled, I thought it was rough seas at first but the Dublin Swift is still sailing.

giftgrub

With the technical issues they have had over the last few weeks I would think it has been taken out of service for essential maintenance, this could not be carried out in the last few weeks with the ash cloud increasing demand.

Still the HSS is moored in Holyhead, at least if the problems with the Lynx are serious then they can re activate the HSS for awhile.

boomer

I swear im Jinxed, Im due to go back to Ireland tomorrow and needed to be on the 10am sailing, this evenings 19:25 sailing has been cancelled for techical difficulties!!!

Please god she is fixed overnight as I need to be in Dublin for lunchtime :(

Collision-course

Yeah the Lxnx does'nt seem to be too healthy since she rammed (and demolished )the linkspan at Holyhead a few weeks ago.

boomer

QuoteYeah the Lxnx does'nt seem to be too healthy since she rammed (and demolished )the linkspan at Holyhead a few weeks ago.

You would think by now that they would reactivate the HSS to reduce the bad reputation they are giving themselves with all the cancellations.

Collision-course

Whilst reactivating the HSS would be the most convenient thing to do with the Lynx in need of some TLC , Stena are operating on very tight margins these days , given the current price of fuel and the rate that the HSS consumes it at , I can understand Stena's reluctance to take the Lynx out of service if at all possible , since they have'nt said exactly whats wrong with the Lynx it maybe something Stena feel they can deal with "on the run" so to speak (Stena engineers are quite talented after all)

boomer

Ive made it on board the Stena Express finally (another ship under the belt so to speak), will be looking around shortly but the current setup is the 10am sailing and the reverse sailinggo ahead but take about 3 hours while the afternoon / evening sailings do not go ahead.

Higgins

QuoteI can understand Stena's recuctance to take the Lynx out of service if at all possible , since they have'nt said exactly whats wrong with the Lynx it maybe something Stena feel they can deal with "on the run" so to speak (Stena engineers are quite talented after all)

I think the problem has something to do with the oil tanks and contamination. Fixing this lead to delays, staff not being payed ect..

t

It appears than the Stena lynx III is in Drydock in belfast according to shipais. Shipais is also showing that the Stena Explorer AIS has been turned back on. Could the HSS be covering the Lynx while in for unplanned maintenance ?

Higgins

The explorer is starting on the 26th May rather than the 27/28th June. The lynx is now in h&w.

shamrock_712

Great to see the Lynx back on the southern corridor again for another season. The AIS currently has her doing 28.5 knots on its return to Fishguard. From the AIS she also seemed to be berthed on the regular Inishmore berth in Rosslare. First time I ever remember seeing it docked at that spot.

It's still a bit of a pity to only have one return trip a day on the route given the moderating of oil prices over the past 18 months and something of a ferry renaissance this summer. The Oakwood day trip pax still seemed to be there in large numbers when I last did the trip in September 2008 but I'm guessing maybe the yields must not be high enough to justify the extra crossings.