Dublin Paris high speed link.

Started by A83, June 28, 2020, 11:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A83

Interesting article in Dublin Live puts forward an idea for a Dublin to Paris high speed rail link connected via ferry link from Cork to Brest. I wonder how long the trip might take.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/ambitious-plans-unveiled-high-speed-18501091

Alan G

About a day longer than on Ryanair.

Total garbage, I guess with Brexit the next big idea will be diverting the Tuskar tunnel straight to France as well.

Niall

IFPete

There is already a good rail link to Cherbourg from Paris in less than 3 hours and a good ferry link directly from Cherbourg to Dublin Port in 17 hours and alternatively to Rosslare. Brest is 600 KM and at least 6 hours by rail from Paris and there is currently no ferry services to Brest from ireland and no current incentive in place to start such a service. Many years ago Irish Continental Line wanted to start a service from Rosslare to Brest but it was met by local opposition who wanted to protect Brittany Ferries jobs in Roscoff and St Malo.  It would have been a better launchpad for travel to Spain than Cherbourg or Roscoff.

Its sounds like a academic paper with a bureacratic or political agenta possibly to improve the rail service to Brest. Britanny always did its own thing and had a greater affinity to the celtic countries than to the mothership in Paris.
For instance there are no toll roads in Brittany, due to the kings highway regulations. 

hhvferry

Quote from: IFPete on June 29, 2020, 12:16:35 AM
Brest is 600 KM and at least 6 hours by rail from Paris .
Less than 4 hours by TGV, not much more than from Cherbourg.

Chef

I once managed to do Dublin Port to Boulognee sur Mer in eleven and a half hours , Dublin Swift to Holyhead and a good drive down to Folkestone for the Tunnel without any traffic problems (unusual I know ) sent straight to next available train due to our early arrival and tunnel transit only took 15 min ( there was a backlog on the French side hence the hurry to get trains back over to France ) arrived at Hotel B&B Boulogne at 7pm Irish time . Never managed to repeat it though .