P&O

Started by ferryfan, April 17, 2020, 12:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferryfan

A couple of weeks ago there were reports that the company was struggling to "keep afloat" and that they had sought a bailout of £150 million of taxpayers cash from the UK government an idea they are probably not too keen on. P&O's Dubai owners were reported to be seeking an additional £250 million in cost cuts involving staff wages and pension entitlements. It doesn't look good for the future of this company and I wouldn't be surprised if an examiner was appointed to the company very shortly.

ferryfan

Extra capacity for Liverpool is available with Stena Foreteller anchored just off Balbriggan since Ulysses's return from dry dock. I wonder have Stena deliberately left her in the vicinity knowing that things were not well at P&O? 

ferryfan

Reports in the press suggest P&O may re-route services to another port in the North West of England. I am not sure about this as the only other port I can think of is Heysham which is also controlled by Peel Ports. However Norbank is scheduled to depart Dublin at 2100 and return tomorrow scheduled for 1900. Provisional departure times for Clipper Pennant pencilled in for Monday but nothing confirmed.

20knots

Could Mostyn perhaps be a possibility given they previously availed of the port. (I know it's in Wales but not a million miles from the North West either)

Cillian

The problem with Mostyn is Tidal. Travelled on the European Ambassador into Mostyn many times. The advantage of going from Mostyn to Dublin was a cooked Breakfast before arrival into Dublin after 8am.

Cillian

Norbay just leaving Dublin going to Mostyn.

jgf

P & O, both Norbay and Norbank back running last night 20/04/20 on the Dub-LIV-DUB

Futureskipper

All P&O Ferries on the Dublin to Liverpool route seem to be running normally according to marine traffic

ferryfan

The plot thickens.. An application was made before the High Court in Dublin today on behalf of Seatruck Ferries Limited, for the arrest of the Dutch registered vessel Norbank as a security in respect of a debtof €381,000 allegedly owed to Seatruck in relation to the chartering of the Clipper Pennant to P&O European Ferries (Irish Sea). During the hearing it was said that Clipper Pennant had been detained in Dublin Port over unpaid harbour dues.Mr Justice McDonald granted the application and ordered that the vessel be arrested on arrival in Dublin in about an hours time.
With other ships in the fleet running almost empty and some tied up P&O are in a very precarious position.

Cillian

The matter has been resolved and Norbank was not arrested.

ferryfan

A substantial payment off the liability must of been made as €30k had already been offered as a gesture of goodwill in the court but it had been turned down, I doubt it is the last of P&O's troubles.

ferryfan

More on this topic P&O to furlough a further 300 staff (1,100 previously laid off). Four English Channel ships to be laid up they are the Prides of Burgundy, Canterbury and Seaway, Pride of Kent is to be laid up later this week.

stenaplus

looks like they are laying up a ship on larne cairnryan as well
only 3 sailings a day in each direction next week

wouldn't be surprised if the laid up clipper pennant as well
just not enough volume moving

people must be concerned re all bad publicity p and o have had re not paying
bills

ferryfan

Interview with the boss of DP World owners of P&O Ferries this morning on BBC news. The nerve and cheek of the owners is unreal they are demanding a £150 million bailout from the UK government and are threatening the UK supply lines if they do not get it and at the same time are paying out a massive £270 million dividend to shareholders. Interview on BBC News website.

Futureskipper

Two P&O Ferries are to be laid up in Leith on the River Forth, one is expected on saturday (which I presume is the pride of burgundy as it is on anchor in the forth) and the other is expected to be arriving on Monday, not sure which the 2nd vessle is