Irish Ferries Enthusiasts | Forum

X

Coronavirus (COVID-19) disruption - details of any changes to sailing schedules, as well as how to amend or cancel bookings is available here.

COVID-19 and ferry travel(Read 870 times)
COVID-19 and ferry travel on: March 17, 2020, 11:43:58 PM
I was thinking today about the current pandemic situation that we are in. This is thought I had today has confused me, you know how Ireland have shut all of their pubs and bars since Sunday, will the ferries with the bars and pubs such as WB Yeats Stena Estrid Ulysses and Stena Adventurer -that operate from ireland have to close the bars onboard the vessle

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 10:21:30 PM
From what I can make out, they are just implementing "social distancing" onboard, but are keeping facilities open.

Irish Ferries have cancelled some events on W.B. Yeats.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 08:39:47 AM
With Ulysses coming home in a few days WBY will be freed up and the summer schedule for IF can get underway.

However there will be very few cars/ tourists/ travellers going to the UK and I suspect none to France. I wonder what volume of freight traffic is crossing the Irish Sea or indeed going to France. I saw a report on RTE saying that demand in France for Irish fish [from Castletownbeare] had stopped. However one assumes most freight is continuing.If not then I suppose ships could be mothballed. Anyone have a sense of what is happening?

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 02:23:36 PM
It's hard to tell at the moment, Brittany Ferries have suspended all passenger sailings, only running some sailings to carry freight.

I imagine Irish Sea sailings will remain in operation to bring in food, Ireland France is a bit more difficult to predict at the moment.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 06:07:34 PM
 I would NOT be expecting any passenger services to resume anytime soon between Ireland and Spain following the latest announcements today.

Below was reported in The Telegraph online this evening at 16:48hrs

"4:48pm Spain to restrict entry for 30 days over coronavirus" is a sub-headline under it's main headline:
"Live  Coronavirus latest news: Government outlines isolation plans for 1.5m vulnerable people, with food from councils and help from Army"

Spain will restrict entry for most foreigners at air and sea ports for the next 30 days to help stem its coronavirus epidemic, the Interior Ministry said.

The ban - starting at midnight - comes a few days after Spain imposed restrictions on its land borders with France and Portugal, after European Union leaders agreed to close the bloc's external borders for 30 days.

Spanish nationals, foreigners living in Spain, air crew, cargo and health workers and diplomats will be allowed to travel as normal, the ministry said in its statement."

Source: The Telegraph

This will likely result in further delays to the resumption of Brittany Ferries direct link between Rosslare and Bilbao in Spain  which had only launched towards the end of February when it replaced it's previous ferry link between Cork and Santander.

Re: COVID-19 and ferry travel Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 09:09:15 PM
Brittany Ferries stops Plymouth passenger service and asks for coronavirus aid UK Chamber of Shipping 'demands an immediate multi-million pound government support package'

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/local-news/brittany-ferries-stops-plymouth-passenger-3975755?fbclid=IwAR29hkbv20W9AyOt9m5ma0KLwA20CAFDnFEPZuhAiu_Pl6Muoe4hiRVgGNs