Buying a property in Rosslare

Started by johnwp, October 14, 2019, 09:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnwp

Hello, this is my first post on the forum. I'm writing because I am looking to buy a caravan park in Rosslare but I have seen that recently many other properties, some of them very popular, like hotels, guesthouses and restaurants have been listed for sale. I would like to gather more information before making a decision.  Is there any recent bad news related to the future of the Europort or Brexit that could have an impact on the area? I've read that Irish Ferries cancelled the route to Cherbourg last year and now I have seen that Port Lodge Hotel, Lobster Pot, etc are up for sale so I'm a bit worried about that. Thanks for your help.

giftgrub

No need to worry, places go up for sale at different times. Two places in the harbour have gone for sale this week the port lodge and B&B beyond the bank.

Nothing at all to do with the Revenue expanding and possibly looking for space !

Most mobile home parks are in Rosslare Strand, only a few miles away but a different economic system driven by regular holiday visitors from anywhere in Ireland, rather than relying on tourist traffic from the boats.

The Port Lodge is not a hotel in the normal sense and is usually quite busy in the evenings, more so since Stena retimed the morning departure to 8am, based purely on number of cars in car park when driving past.

Biggest mystery in Rosslare Harbour is the Harbour Lodge at the top of the hill, has been Sold a long time ago and never reopened, combined with Danby Lodge/Ashfield House a few miles away, two busy locations that have been closed in the "Boom Times" but did well in the recession.

johnwp

Hi giftgrub,

Thanks for the useful information. I know that mobile home parks have a different economic system, but in my case half of the park is for touring caravans and campers. I think an important percentage of them are from UK and Europe, so it's important the future of the Europort for that business.

About Port Lodge Hotel, the asking price of 800,000 seems cheap enough for a 38 rooms hotel in a good location, that's why I was a bit concerned that maybe there was bad news for that area or the future of the port.

giftgrub

No problem, nothing to worry about, as far as I know there is only one park in the area that caters for touring campers and always seems busy, loss of Irish Ferries French crossings have been a loss to the area across all possible businesses as it was a relaxing end to the holiday to overnight near Rosslare before the journey home, however on the days I have been in the area when Horizon is sailing you notice an increase in tourists around.

With the Brexit shenanigans about to take place there might be a blip but life will go on and people will still travel, normally Dutch, French, German and UK tourists are passing through so lots of opportunities available.

(while the hotel is cheap for the number of rooms, there is a B&B for sale for similar money a few minutes away)

johnwp

I have read old posts from 2013 or 2015 saying that the routes to Wales are in decline since the cheap flights. Are things getting better or worse? And I also have read that they are filling hotels of the port with refugees, is that true? Could you tell me which is the Caravan Park that you are talking about? Thanks again for your help.

Steven

Quote from: johnwp on October 16, 2019, 08:53:04 AM
I have read old posts from 2013 or 2015 saying that the routes to Wales are in decline since the cheap flights. Are things getting better or worse? And I also have read that they are filling hotels of the port with refugees, is that true? Could you tell me which is the Caravan Park that you are talking about? Thanks again for your help.
I have pretty much zero in terms of local knowledge but will offer my outsiders perspective which might be worth absolutely nothing!

Looking at actual ferry passenger traffic figures they certainly aren't getting hugely better, but that's pretty much the case everywhere.  I'm not sure many people would get the ferry to Rosslare to then stay in a caravan close to the port anyway, compared to those travelling from elsewhere on the Island to the site so perhaps it's a business less susceptible to the whims of the ferry operators?

I do recall an article about a former hotel being used as accommodation for migrants.  800k sounds very cheap.  Perhaps too cheap?  Putting aside the amount of business there may or may not be, perhaps the place is in need of major renovation?  Especially given it has been out of use for years now.  If it's a potential goldmine as some people elsewhere online seem to think it is and is available cheap then there must be a reason someone hasn't already reopened it 🤔.  I wonder how many others do as I sometimes do and use the ferry as a "hotel".
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

Rosslare Strand is a sea side resort. Rosslare Harbour had a railway hotel called Great Southern Hotel. It closed about 15 years ago and is no a building site. Ferry business would not make it work but if it was revived with a swimming pool it could work for family holidays.