Irish Ferries HUll 777

Started by ferryfan, July 05, 2019, 11:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFPete

Irish Ferries believe in most conditions they can hold WB Yeats on the berth in Pembroke.

The Berth is in a sheltered part of the estury.

Jamie1608

Something is happening in the building hall.

The webcam is now off and the crane has been moving over the last couple of days

IFPete

Liekut has her transponder on. Sea Trials must be approaching.

Davy Jones

Any idea how Honfleur is progressing? Her fitout seems to be taking even longer than WBY

I note the build-hall camera is still restricted. Either they've started 777 or they are turning the place into a nightclub or something.

Futureskipper

Will they do a name competition for Hull 777 like they did with the WB Yeats

Steven

Quote from: Futureskipper on February 17, 2020, 09:37:42 PM
Will they do a name competition for Hull 777 like they did with the WB Yeats

They'd need to make sure the ship is being built first surely?  At present that looks dodgy at best - FSG's financial situation doesn't appear to have improved much.  They still need a state loan guarantee to build any more ships - a loan guarantee that so far hasn't been forthcoming as they haven't been able to convince the state that  the yard is economically viable.  There's another report due towards the end of the month with a lot hinging on it.  If 777 is delivered this year it would be nothing short of a miracle given how long it is taking to fit out HONFLEUR!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

ferryfan

TT Lines Tasmania have cancelled their orders with FSG for the new Spirit ships and are now in contract talks with RMC Finland.

IFPete

LIEKUT is back from seatrials.

Hopefully not too much work to be done on her so everybody can focus on completing Honfleur.

marsav68

The external camera at FSG also appears to have been taken offline now as well.

IFPete

I would not hold my breath about them coming back on line after this outbreak.

Perhaps they will be taken over by Meyer Werft

Futureskipper

FSG Hull 777 order has been cancelled

ferryfan

The reason for the cancellation according to ICG is-
"ICG has terminated its contract with the German shipbuilder FSG, who were contracted to build a new vessel for Irish Ferries. This follows the yard making an application through the German courts system to be placed in debtor in possession management under the oversight of an Insolvency Monitor. As part of the original contract with the yard, ICG paid a deposit on this vessel for 20% (€33 million) of the purchase price with the remaining 80% due on delivery of the ship. This deposit was protected by third party guarantees and has now been returned to ICG."

So full deposit has been returned.Trading figures for the 1st half of the year are unexpectedly pretty dismal
Car Volumes down 62% Passengers down 60%
Ro RO Volumes down 4% with Containers down 13%.

Surprisingly ICG opted out of the government back PSO scheme and have not received any of the support money which was available to maintain vital routes but they did avail of the staff retention schemes.

What we will be waiting for now is if and when an order for Epsilon's replacement will be made or could they seek to extend the charter or look at the 2nd hand market. The 2nd hand market might be the best option as there are lots of ships tied up and some carriers will be very anxious to offload surplus vessels.

Futureskipper

I seen something saying that Epsilon is to remain with Irish Ferries for the for seeable future but I don't know if that's true or not

Niall

I doubt if IF will ever order any more new ships. With COVID-19 they are in a pretty precarious financial position to say the least. They could very well be taken over by a company like DFDS or Stena Line in the future.