W B Yeats Disappointment

Started by concregg, June 03, 2019, 02:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferryfan

Quote from: SEA on October 01, 2019, 02:40:13 PM
Heard Rumour  W.B. has to go to Drydock .Its gone off their bookings next week
You may well be right ,there was talk of the WB going to Rosslare for berthing trials but she seems to be off service from the 12th to the 18th October with Epsilon providing cover from the 14th and switching back on the19th. WB is scheduled to do a Cherbourg to Dublin on the 18th October.  Checking the Ireland-France timetable it shows no scheduled sailings for the week from 13-20 October.

SEA

I also head  from the same source Ulysses and Inishmore are going to have to get Scrubbers fitted  Sooner than later and its scheduled this side of Christmas .I cannot back this one up as a fact .

IFPete

Both IOI and Ulysses are getting Scrubbers installed in new year.

Its possible Swift will be in operation earlier to cover for Ulysses abcence.

Steven

Quote from: ferryfan on October 01, 2019, 03:50:55 PM
Quote from: SEA on October 01, 2019, 02:40:13 PM
Heard Rumour  W.B. has to go to Drydock .Its gone off their bookings next week
You may well be right ,there was talk of the WB going to Rosslare for berthing trials but she seems to be off service from the 12th to the 18th October with Epsilon providing cover from the 14th and switching back on the19th. WB is scheduled to do a Cherbourg to Dublin on the 18th October.  Checking the Ireland-France timetable it shows no scheduled sailings for the week from 13-20 October.
EPSILON will cover Yeats that week at Holyhead as she will be away for dry docking as detailed here.  Reports online suggest she's going a bit further than we are used to with Irish Sea vessels!  W.B doing a passenger sailing from Cherbourg on her way back on the 19th makes sense to get some revenue when she has to sail past post DD anyway!  Rosslare berthing trials could well happen (though lets remember she has been before) and there have also been suggestions online she could do some trials at Pembroke.  That would make sense if there are plans for her to relieve Inishmore in the future which would seem more likely than FSG777 when it eventually (if ever?) turns up!

https://www.niferry.co.uk/irish-ferries-epsilon-and-w-b-yeats-swap-for-winter/

Quote from: IFPete on October 01, 2019, 05:49:49 PM
Both IOI and Ulysses are getting Scrubbers installed in new year.

Its possible Swift will be in operation earlier to cover for Ulysses abcence.
That could be interesting given her record. Hope their aren't any breezes  :o ::)
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

Are we sure WB Yeats is going to Falmouth and not Brest ?

RorieLen

Quote from: IFPete on October 04, 2019, 05:27:27 PM

Dunkerque?

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on October 04, 2019, 05:27:27 PM
It says Dunkerque and has done so for over 24 hours after the article was updated

(Edit: article has read Dunkerque since 20:54 on the 3rd)

Ferry2france

Going on thread title I just thought I'd add this in - Travelled late September on the WB to Cherbourg - the sailing was delayed both ways unfortunately by as much as 8 hours going out - It was only my second time on the WB Yeats but I have traveled to France frequently on the Oscar Wilde in the past.  I have never experienced such a rough crossing, in all the times I've travelled and that includes winter storms.  The ship just doesn't seem able to cope in high seas and there were literally items flying around the cabin - It looks like the WB Yeats has been taken off route from now until March, I wonder is it simply because the ship isn't suitable for this journey?

jgf

Quote from: Ferry2france on October 05, 2019, 02:24:10 PM
It looks like the WB Yeats has been taken off route from now until March, I wonder is it simply because the ship isn't suitable for this journey?

No it was always planned to use the more economical Epsilon for the winter season.

A83

Going on thread title I just thought I'd add this in - Travelled late September on the WB to Cherbourg - the sailing was delayed both ways unfortunately by as much as 8 hours going out - It was only my second time on the WB Yeats but I have traveled to France frequently on the Oscar Wilde in the past.  I have never experienced such a rough crossing, in all the times I've travelled and that includes winter storms.  The ship just doesn't seem able to cope in high seas and there were literally items flying around the cabin - It looks like the WB Yeats has been taken off route from now until March, I wonder is it simply because the ship isn't suitable for this journey?

I am not sure I agree. I experienced WBY taking on 3--3.5 metre waves in a near gale and I thought she coped very well.On a related topic  I have often wondered how it is possible to accurately model the stability of a ship at design stage.

Steven

Quote from: Ferry2france on October 05, 2019, 02:24:10 PMIt looks like the WB Yeats has been taken off route from now until March, I wonder is it simply because the ship isn't suitable for this journey?
It was always the plan.  It's a case of shifting passenger capacity to where it is needed - the France route quietens down while Holyhead loses the capacity of the swift which supplements EPSILON on the route.

Shipmate

Has anyone noticed that the WB has more ptich and movement,even in in calm seas, than Ulysses or the departed OW?

Was on the WB last night,and she really copes well on the shorter Irish sea route, very quick unloading is great.

Steven

Quote from: Shipmate on October 27, 2019, 09:51:59 AM
Has anyone noticed that the WB has more ptich and movement,even in in calm seas, than Ulysses or the departed OW?

Was on the WB last night,and she really copes well on the shorter Irish sea route, very quick unloading is great.
I have heard reports of some interesting movement and particularly "slamming".  Can't talk from personal experience mind.  Her hull form is based on that used on the freighters though.  Perhaps with its low drag coefficient it's more designed for economy than comfort?  Of course it's all subjective and no two crossings are going to be exactly the same.  Some hulls will obviously cope with certain conditions than others.

Quote from: A83 on October 08, 2019, 08:18:35 AM

I am not sure I agree. I experienced WBY taking on 3--3.5 metre waves in a near gale and I thought she coped very well.On a related topic  I have often wondered how it is possible to accurately model the stability of a ship at design stage.
A combination of computer modelling (FSG have their own software for this), extensive tank testing, and experience.  It's also something they'll look at in trials once she is built of course, but it's a bit late to make massive changes then! 

While FSG don't have huge experience designing large Ro-Pax's (apart from Norrona which copes with a lot more than most ferries in terms of sea conditions), ICG's consultant (OSK Shiptech) do.  One issue with the latest build is that the guy that was in charge of the design (and that of the other Ro-Pax's they've built) has jumped ship.  Twice!  He and two other former senior managers at FSG have set up a rival naval architecture firm in Flensburg. On that point, part of the strategy at FSG now is to offer design services for vessels being built elsewhere.

Niall

Norrona was built by Flender Werft in Luebeck if I'm not mistaken!

IFPete

I am sure if expertise was required FSG would not be found wanting in contracting it in to complete the design.