Started by jgf, April 11, 2019, 08:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trucker

Jesus, that's though.
A fine ship.
I've been on WB Yeats a few times now.
Not a patch on Oscar.

IFPete

She and her half sister were fine ships.

alfie79

Quote from: IFPete on June 02, 2019, 06:28:34 PM
She and her half sister were fine ships.

what ship is her half sister?

Niall

Trucker

IF could be running 1 a day Ireland France at the moment to cover the Brittany Ferries debacle.
Oscar would have been kept busy.
On a side note, hauliers not too happy that there only a Cherbourg Dublin every second Sunday because of the daily rotation now, where as the WB YEATS didn't sail from Dublin on a Monday until last week.
Up until then there was a Cherbourg Dublin every Sunday.
But like every other ferry company, trucks come second in the busy tourist season, but are very welcome when things quiten off...

IFPete

The purpose of WB Yeats was for freight primarily. Thats why she sails from Dublin and not Rosslare due to customer preferance???.

They could operate Epsilon Dublin - Cherbourg once a forthnight if they have the loads.

My guess is as soon as the compensation issue is put to bed Oscar will reappear next Summer on Rosslare - Rosscoff after all she is still on IF books until 2025.

alfie79

Quote from: IFPete on June 03, 2019, 12:01:19 PM
The purpose of WB Yeats was for freight primarily. Thats why she sails from Dublin and not Rosslare due to customer preferance???.

They could operate Epsilon Dublin - Cherbourg once a forthnight if they have the loads.

My guess is as soon as the compensation issue is put to bed Oscar will reappear next Summer on Rosslare - Rosscoff after all she is still on IF books until 2025.

i find it hard to believe she will return she is fully painted in GNV colours although i did read her interior is being kept the same as when she was OW
as regards still on IF books was she not sold?

hhvferry

It's purely the way it's been financed. IF will not have an option to recall the ship - that's somewhat wishful/delusional thinking.
The Stena Baltica was sold in the same way to the same group.

jimjoe

Quote from: IFPete on June 03, 2019, 12:01:19 PM

Changes in emissions regulations from January 2020 would have increased the running costs of Oscar quite a bit as well. If IF look to restore the Rosslare-Roscoff then it's more likely that they'd charter in (or buy) something a bit more fuel efficient, and a bit newer, than Oscar

Steven

Quote from: Niall on June 02, 2019, 08:35:38 PM
Julia I think

That's a new one on me!!!!  Not only was she built at a different yard, but to entirely different plans!  Hull colour was the same for a while mind...

Quote from: hhvferry on June 03, 2019, 08:48:31 PM
It's purely the way it's been financed. IF will not have an option to recall the ship - that's somewhat wishful/delusional thinking.
The Stena Baltica was sold in the same way to the same group.
Exactly. GNV ALLEGRA is now legally owned by a company controlled by MSC/GNV on a sort of demise charter style arrangement so far as I am aware.  It's a financial solution that seems to suit both parties well given ICG have sold vessels this way before (Pride of Bilbao, Isle of Innisfree/Kaitaki, Jonathan Swift) and MSC/GNV has purchased them this way in the past (as HHV points out).

Unfortunately, that doesn't stop the "dreamers".
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

"Dreams" keep people happy and stop people worrying about reality. 

marsav68

Quote from: IFPete on June 04, 2019, 10:33:10 AM
"Dreams" keep people happy and stop people worrying about reality. 

"Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."
― Oscar Wilde

DaveW1946

Let's hope somebody steps in to provide a Rosslare-Roscoff next year, at least for the summer. From our experience many of the Irish holidaymakers head for the west coast of France, and Cherbourg ain't a good point to start from. Whilst we used to head for the Med, we rarely saw an Irish numberplate after Rennes. Had hoped Brittany Ferries might have moved in, but after their problems this year perhaps Stena might beef up their French fleet (they've got enough vessels)

alfie79

Quote from: DaveW1946 on June 05, 2019, 06:12:58 AM
Let's hope somebody steps in to provide a Rosslare-Roscoff next year, at least for the summer. From our experience many of the Irish holidaymakers head for the west coast of France, and Cherbourg ain't a good point to start from. Whilst we used to head for the Med, we rarely saw an Irish numberplate after Rennes. Had hoped Brittany Ferries might have moved in, but after their problems this year perhaps Stena might beef up their French fleet (they've got enough vessels)

mark my words IF will be back in rosslare next year