W B Yeats Restaurants

Started by concregg, February 17, 2019, 04:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferryfan

Quote from: 12345teacher on May 05, 2019, 10:07:58 PM
Just returned from hull Rotterdam round trip with P&o ferries and to dine in the "kitchen" all you can eat buffet was £15,00pp sterling...the choices ranged from several types of curry dishes and two joints of the day /chicken/ribs/fish/vegetarian cold meats etc .all unlimited soft drinks were included in the price .. unfortunately irish ferries are out of touch with there restaurant pricing ....they must have Gordon Ramsey cooking in the kitchen to charge those prices ...👎👎 have a look at the food on offer in the "kitchen"on the P&o pride of hull in the following link....https://youtu.be/P8ZsqJRWp5s
Sorry but that's ridiculous you cannot compare prices from an A La Carte resturant with a self service buffet. I am no fan of Irish Ferries but you have to be fair when making comparisons, €59.95 is pure daylight robbery and if it is not a typo then I am sure there will be no need to make a reservation for the Lady Gregory.

IFPete

you are not comparing apples with Apples.  A Restaurant in Dublin or Paris will be more expensive than a cafe in Hull.

A buffet will be cheaper than Al Carte and if you can get everybody on board to use it it minimises the waste of food.

giftgrub

Steven

At the end of the day they will charge what they think the market will pay.  The Lady Gregory isn't exactly huge, and so the pricing is probably designed to reflect its capacity.  Some people will pay a premium for things like this, just as some people will pay €1000 a night for a "suite" onboard!  Compared to many places in London or Paris, €60 is a bargain!!!

As others have pointed out, there are other (more reasonably priced) options.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

DaveW1946

We travelled on the Yeats last week and there were few options as to where to eat as the entire Brasserie was completely full of french students ( 10 coachloads). Luckily we took our own evening meal but did have breakfast in the Gregory. Can report that the serving staff are the old team from Oscar Wilde. So service was good. The cooking I felt was a little under par. Needless to say the staff are a little embarrassed by the price. There was IF officer there who expressed a wish to travel on the Pont Aven; should be an eye opener for him.

hhvferry

I was also on the WBY last weekend - on a pretty busy sailing there were eight covers for dinner at the inflated price, not including us.

The self service dinner was plentiful but of middling quality. We also took breakfast in the restaurant and that was fine.

Came back to the UK on the Mont St Michel where dinner in the restaurant was of a high quality and approximately half the price of the IF menu.

ccs

Quote from: Steven on May 17, 2019, 01:51:47 AM
At the end of the day they will charge what they think the market will pay.  The Lady Gregory isn't exactly huge, and so the pricing is probably designed to reflect its capacity.  Some people will pay a premium for things like this, just as some people will pay €1000 a night for a "suite" onboard! Compared to many places in London or Paris, €60 is a bargain!!!

Dont think comparing WBY restaurant to ones in London or Paris is valid. A fairer comparison is to restaurants on others ferries and at €60 a head I think WBY comes up short.

IFPete

The Breakfast in the Brasserie on Oscar Wilde was always good.

Steven

Quote from: ccs on May 18, 2019, 08:11:07 PM
At the end of the day they will charge what they think the market will pay.  The Lady Gregory isn't exactly huge, and so the pricing is probably designed to reflect its capacity.  Some people will pay a premium for things like this, just as some people will pay €1000 a night for a "suite" onboard! Compared to many places in London or Paris, €60 is a bargain!!!

Dont think comparing WBY restaurant to ones in London or Paris is valid. A fairer comparison is to restaurants on others ferries and at €60 a head I think WBY comes up short.

The point is its a PREMIUM option.  As I said before they will have priced it at what they feel the market will pay.  If the market doesn't pay then the price will likely come down or the facility replaced.  Yes it's pricey, but for the market it's targeted at that's half the point!  It's not like they hide the prices either as it's available to see online https://www.irishferries.com/globalassets/ships/wbyeats/menu/ladygregory-sample-menu.pdf.  As for it not being busy, people may well pay extra for that. It's an experiment on what they are calling a cruise ferry (with prices to match?).

If you want to pay self-service prices, then go to the self-service restaurant.  Likewise, if you are on dry land if you want to pay McDonalds prices you don't walk into an upmarket hotel restaurant.  As I said above if the "concept" doesn't work they'll likely try something else, or just open it when the vessel is at its busiest.

ccs

Quote from: Steven on June 04, 2019, 02:38:58 AM
Quote from: ccs on May 18, 2019, 08:11:07 PM

The point is its a PREMIUM option.  As I said before they will have priced it at what they feel the market will pay. If the market doesn't pay then the price will likely come down or the facility replaced. Yes it's pricey, but for the market it's targeted at that's half the point!  It's not like they hide the prices either as it's available to see online https://www.irishferries.com/globalassets/ships/wbyeats/menu/ladygregory-sample-menu.pdf.  As for it not being busy, people may well pay extra for that. It's an experiment on what they are calling a cruise ferry (with prices to match?).

If you want to pay self-service prices, then go to the self-service restaurant.  Likewise, if you are on dry land if you want to pay McDonalds prices you don't walk into an upmarket hotel restaurant.  As I said above if the "concept" doesn't work they'll likely try something else, or just open it when the vessel is at its busiest.

I think this will happen and price will drop back to €50 per head   

DaveW1946

I won't repeat it here but please look at my post today on the WB Yeats Disappointment stream reference restaurants

Chef

The 60 Euro menu is not for the food but to keep the riff raff and the great unwashed away from the more well heeled passengers who want to feel like they deserve a higher standard of dining to go with those premium priced suites  .

Steven

Quote from: Chef on June 05, 2019, 08:21:14 AM
The 60 Euro menu is not for the food but to keep the riff raff and the great unwashed away from the more well heeled passengers who want to feel like they deserve a higher standard of dining to go with those premium priced suites  .
That's what I've been trying to get at but in a more delicate way ;p.

Does someone paying €900-€1000 a night for a cabin expect to dine in a self-service restaurant?  I doubt it!