Isle Of Inishmore Hits The Pottom (Possibly)

Started by larry, January 03, 2012, 11:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry

As some folk know I live right on the harbour here in Rosslare. The isle of Inishmore was running quite late today and seemed to be struggling to berth, at one stage she came dangerously close to the land side of the harbour (for anybody who knows the harbour its where a lot of the trawlers and such come in). When she got very close there was an incredibly loud grinding noise the she completely stopped moving completely for a few minutes, as i said ive never seen here come that close to land. Eventually she began to move toward where she was meant to go and came in as intended. Anyhow it's now 23:15 she's still here, theres a small little boat going around it presumably examining the hull for damage. Can anyone shed more light on this incident? I did snap a picture when she began moving again

larry

Is this somehow related?
QuoteRosslare - Pembroke route

Article:1047 Published at 12:31 03 Jan 2012

The Isle of Inishmore which covers the Rosslare - Pembroke route will be undergoing annual maintenance from January 4th until January 25th. During this time the Oscar Wilde boat will cover the route.

Oscar Wilde annual maintenance

Article:1046 Published at 12:26 03 Jan 2012

Irish Ferries Rosslare - Cherbourg boat will be undergoing annual maintenance from today January 3rd until February 19th.

(From here http://www.victortreacy.com/news.asp)

jswift

The Isle of Inishmore is currently on passage for Dublin to relieve the Ulysses during her refit, The Oscar Wilde has taken up the Pembroke Dock service, and will remain on the route till the Isle of Inishmore returns from her own refit. The Oscar Wilde will then dry dock prior to resuming the Rosslare -  Cherbourg service on 19th February. ;)

larry

cheers mate, that clears it up, do you know if she did strike the bottom yesterday? there was an insane noise when she came close to land and i had never seen her come that close

jswift

Hi Larry. I doubt if the IOM hit the bottom of the harbour. If there had been any contact the vessel would have to be inspected by the Department of the Marine (and possilby the U.K. and Cypriot authorities) before sailing last night for Pembroke. She was behind time both to and from Pembroke but I presume that was due to weather as she was already behind time arriving at Rosslare (20:40) last night. Inspections are almost always carried out in daylight. ;)

larry

thanks mate, that makes perfect sense to me, it was weather related delays i believe, she was having great difficulty getting in, it seemed that she was just getting bad luck as the wind really eased off around that time but got to its worst literally as iom tried to dock, once she got in it calmed down again

loch garman

I was wondering what the hell was going on with the oscar wilde going to pembroke  ;D and inishmore going to dublin. I thought i was losing it!! lol

jswift

Just the usual 'musical chairs' during annual refits in January. IOM stands in for Uysses on the Holyhead run while she dry docks, and then IOM dry docks. While the IOM is away Oscar Wilde takes up the Pembroke Dock service before dry docking herself. The whole thing should be finished by 19th February. ;)

Greekpaddy1

Hi new member!

I'd just like to shed some light on this incident! I was travelling on IOM back to Pembroke  that night. Kieran you are right she was having extreme difficulties with the wind, massively behind schedule and coming close to the trawlers on arrival into rosslare. Again you are correct the noise was awful as she docked this was due to her anchor being caught on cables! (well that's what the captain announced to us on board) She lowered a lifeboat with crew members onboard, to assist with the freeing of the anchor. She didn't back out of rosslare that night until 23:55, arriving in pembroke at 04.30 hrs! Seems like one of those unfortunate incidents, but I have to say I believe she desperately need a dry dock! The upkeep of the IOM is shoddy to say the least and compared to the Stena Europe seems to adversely struggle with poor weather conditions. The Europe was running to schedule that evening and as mentioned above the IOM was only arriving in rosslare and 5 minutes shy of her departure time. Any body shed any light on theses issue?

Sorry If that was slightly long,

George.

giftgrub

The Isle of Innishmore has been drydocked for annual overhaul and returned to service on the Rosslare - Pembroke route today 25/01/2012. Not sure what additional work was carried out during the drydock but they have repainted some of the ships exterior.

These images taken by shipais forum member geoffc when it was leaving the drydock in liverpool show that the starboard side has definitely received some fresh paint.

Images of the vessel in drydock here:

http://www.irishseashipping.com/photofeatures/shipco/irishferries/inishmore210112/inishmore210112.htm

Final image from Marine Traffic, shows the Inishmore on the way to Liverpool for drydocking.