Oscar Wilde Holyhead to dublin 17 Decemebr 2018

Started by marthyrarth, December 20, 2018, 10:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marthyrarth

I decided to travel from Holyhead to Dublin on the Oscar Wilde last Monday.

There was one other foot passenger.

Facilities at Holyhead are poor.

I had received a text from IF saying that my return journey form Dublin that evening on the Ulysses would be cancelled because of weather.   Also the afternoon Dublin - Holyhead Oscar Wilde was due to be cancelled because of the weather.  However, Stena were sailing to schedule, and I asked if I could transfer my ticket to the Adventurer'r 20:40 sailing that evening but was told by IF staff that they couldn't do anything I would have to as in Ireland! Excellent service and customer care!

The bus to the Wilde had a broken seat, and the facilities at Holyhead seemed full and congested with little room for expansion and the Terminal 3 building closed.

However, boarded OW.  She is a very nice ship.  Not all facillties were open but I couldn't complain as Left Bank and Cafe Lafayette were open.  Prices were a little steep though.  Ship was very clean and arrived more or less on tme in Dublin, but it did take 30 m before getting off.

OW probably a better ship than Yates!

Received a ext fro IF saying I could go back on the Adventurer.   Still don't understand why OW crossings and Ulysses crossings were cancelled with Stena operating to time and wether at that time only about 4-6.

Travelled to Dublin and back for Adventurer.  Wind increasing to around a force 8.

Facilities were all open on Adventurer except for bottom MET which had seating and counter roped off.  Did rough weather route towards Llyn Peninsula, then back up to Holyhead, southerly wind.  Slight vessel movement and crashing from time to time, but nothing too uncomfortable, arriving n Holyhead around 1 hour 30 minute late, but did depart 20 minutes early, so not too
bad.

Adventurer was ok and n good condition, although general arrangement with two main cafeterias a bit odd.

All in all a fantastic trip but will say one thing, ferries such as the ow are great in terms of design and facilities, and much less bland than Stena.  Hope e flexers are a bit more interesting than Adventurer.

However, IF can improve customer handling skills - despite having asked about 5 times nobody form IF explained why Ulysses was cancelled.  I think it is because of power problems making her less easy to manage in heavy seas.

Anyway let's see what the Yates is like.  Decor looks a bit cheap in my opinion. Honfleur also looks a bit disappointing - more like a freighter /Armorique.

Trying to find out when Yates will be doing some Holyhead trips but IF are a bit coy on this.