WB YEATS Dublin Bound

Started by ferryfan, December 15, 2018, 02:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Its been posted on Facebook she could be in service next Saturday afternoon, covering Ulysses absence.  To be honest I think many of us thought this would always be the case.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

A83

Steven

Quote from: A83 on January 10, 2019, 09:12:52 PM
Afloat.ie is reporting that WBY's maiden voyage takes place this Sunday 13th and will be for freight only.

https://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/41479-w-b-yeats-to-make-maiden-voyage-freight-only-on-sunday

The dangers of treating a booking engine as fact without checking with someone first!  Afloat now saying Tuesday, though not sure how they are going to get WB, Oscar, and Adventurer all berthed at Holyhead at the same time lol

Davy Jones

Its probably not happening, but I just wonder whether OW may fit Terminal 2?

Steven

Quote from: Davy Jones on January 14, 2019, 10:07:15 PM
Its probably not happening, but I just wonder whether OW may fit Terminal 2?
Why would they send two ships at virtually the same time in any case though given Yeats capacity

In any case, she didn't sail

captainbob

I'm on and in the Club Lounge. We are the first customers! Booked on Oscar Wilde - horror - but turned up to find the Yeats was our ferry tonight.
Smells like a new car.
Chaos at the check in desk so we blagged into Club lounge and paid there for bit of luxury. No one else here so all the lovely food and wine is ours.
The red wine is very very good.
Not done a tour yet. Maybe to nice here to move.

..........however we have not actually sailed yet!!  It's 30 minutes late and counting.....

Cladyman

Quote from: captainbob on January 22, 2019, 09:13:19 PM
I'm on and in the Club Lounge. We are the first customers! Booked on Oscar Wilde - horror - but turned up to find the Yeats was our ferry tonight.
Smells like a new car.
Chaos at the check in desk so we blagged into Club lounge and paid there for bit of luxury. No one else here so all the lovely food and wine is ours.

..........however we have not actually sailed yet!!  It's 30 minutes late and counting.....

Enjoy the journey - at least you have longer to enjoy the wine! Hope your not driving

marsav68

Quote from: captainbob on January 22, 2019, 09:13:19 PM
Smells like a new car.

Listed here http://booking.dublinport.ie/webx/ as 21:45 departure

jgf

I watched her arrive on berth on Marinetraffic at exactly 18.55 so over 3 hours to be turned around. Obviously on the first days it will take time all staff to become familiar with the layout.

One passenger on twitter on the morning sailing reported a ramp issue in Holyhead.

captainbob

Yes we are motoring now at 17kts. Said they would make up a bit of time. Due in 01.30
No complaints after a tour around. Obviously not all open as very quiet.
I think the cabins will be excellent only going by what I have seen. Never seen so many power sockets!! On each table and each bar seat.
Club class is UK 3 pin and outside it's Euro socket so you need an adapter in steerage.
Very smooth crossing with nothing rattling around as in Innishmore. A bit of buffeting as we get further out but feels very comfortable.
As usual the lighting is way over the top and should be dimmed for night crossings.
Car lanes are ridiculously narrow as in Swansea Cork. As you are getting out the next lane is queuing up behind your door as there is about 60cm space. Lots of door dings going to happen here for sure.

Now doing 22.5 kts and feels like you are on a plane. I would say we were on foils!! Honest.

The insider

Wb delayed sailing from Holyhead reported a technical issue to Holyhead Port Control and sent the linesman away for about 45 mins.

SEA

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0122/1024816-european-investment-bank-and-icg/

The European Investment Bank has provided €155m to finance two new passenger and vehicle ships for ICG owned Irish Ferries.

The two new ferries will increase passenger and cargo capacity on routes to Ireland, replace older and smaller vessels and significantly reduce emissions from the Irish Ferries fleet.

The vessels are expected to be used on both the Dublin-Holyhead and Dublin-Cherbourg routes to reflect demand for a greater choice of services from Ireland to Britain and direct to continental Europe.

The news came today as the WB Yeats cruise ferry made its maiden voyage from Dublin to Holyhead this morning.

The WB Yeats was partly financed with €75m in funds from the EIB. It can transport 1,800 passengers, 300 cars and 165 trucks.
The EIB is also providing €80m to finance the building of a second new vessel for Irish Ferries.

Due for delivery in 2020, this vessel will be the largest cruise ferry in the world in terms of vehicle capacity and will provide Irish Ferries with an effective 50% increase in peak freight capacity.

It will be able to transport 1,800 passengers and crew and 1,526 cars or 300 trucks.

These long-term loans to Irish Continental Group represent the first support approved by the EIB under a new Green Shipping financing initiative that supports investment in new and existing ships to reduce emissions and improve fuel efficiency.

Andrew McDowell, European Investment Bank Vice President, said that shipping connections are crucial for Ireland, adding that the two new ships will both transform maritime transport to and from this country and cut harmful emissions.
Increasing maritime transport capacity reflects increased demand arising from Ireland's export driven recovery and the potential need for flexibility in the event of disruption on UK routes," Mr McDowell said.

"In the context of EIB's ever-increasing support for Irish private businesses, these two loans also demonstrate the value that EIB loans can provide to Irish corporates through beneficial pricing, long tenors and flexible loan structures," he added.

Eamonn Rothwell, CEO of ICG, said that significant new investment is essential to expand the Irish Ferries fleet.
"The €155m financing facilities agreed with the EIB, alongside financing from leading Irish and international banks, for the two new cruise ferry ships demonstrates the EIB's commitment to support transformational corporate investment such as this in Ireland, enabling ICG to deliver on its growth strategy and strengthening the tourism and cargo trading links in and out of the country," Mr Rothwell added.

ferryfan

The IF web site is incorrectly showing Ulysses back on her route from Friday with the WB switching to Epsilon's timetable.
When I went to book it wouldn't allow me book the club class lounge so I contacted IF who informed me that Epsilon will be on the 14.30 on Monday with WB on the 0805 and 20.55 runs so anyone booking will need to be careful.

DaveW1946

Shame EIB didn't make it a condition that Irish Ferries share some of its' largesse by agreeing to sail these new vessels from Rosslare Europort for some sailings to France

IFPete

Lets see how quick it will be before WB Yeats fills up on Dublin - Cherbourg Route,

Its possible Oscar Wilde may be an overflow vessel and provide additional sailings.