Development of Roscoff port.

Started by A83, August 18, 2018, 04:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A83

Does anyone know if there are plans to add new berths to Roscoff?

We arrived in the port yesterday [Friday] afternoon at around 4.30pm. The Armorique was on the berth, both the Oscar Wilde and the Pont Aven were cruising around the bay and had been doing that most of the day. When the Armorique left shortly after 5 pm the OW went on the berth and when she left near enough to 7pm the Pont Aven was coming in. As the captain wryly noted: 'there was congestion in the port'. This does not happen ever day but surely it suggests that additional capacity is required?

ccs

With the amount of traffic at Roscoff it would be very hard to justify the investment in another berth. For half of the year there is only one vessel using Roscoff. The BF service to Plymouth. Its usually one round trip and 2 in high season. The amount of time that the 3 vessels are in port every year is afaik less than a dozen and there is rarely pressure on turnarounds.

A83

These are all fair points indeed the argument could be closed down on purely economic grounds. However I would make the point that strategically developing Roscoff would boost tourism into Brittany and also support  industrial growth.

Two other points come to mind regarding traffic: BF sails once a week from Roscoff to Bilbao. Secondly this year IF intended to run the Oscar Wilde out of Roscoff for the summer months exclusively as W B Yeats was to pair with it and run into Cherbourg. As we know that did not happen but is it planned to do this in summer 2019?

I guess my overall point is Yes, if one simply looks at the current situation a second berth might look adventurous however that situation could change.