new stena ships

Started by stenaplus, June 14, 2018, 08:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meet the dockers

whats the plan for the ship between now and spring 2020?

RorieLen

Quote from: Meet the dockers on April 15, 2019, 10:57:34 PM

Fitting out. It's clear from the photos that she is currently just an empty shell and there's lots of work to be done.

Steven

Quote from: RorieLen on April 16, 2019, 05:36:34 AM
Quote from: Meet the dockers on April 15, 2019, 10:57:34 PM

Fitting out. It's clear from the photos that she is currently just an empty shell and there's lots of work to be done.
This

Things like cabins and public spaces need to be installed for instance.  Still a lot of work to be done.  There's also a rather lengthy delivery voyage to take place as well!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Davy Jones

Have we heard how Stena Estrid is progressing? Fit-out, Sea Trials etc? Is it all on time?

Steven

Quote from: Davy Jones on June 03, 2019, 05:06:40 PM
Have we heard how Stena Estrid is progressing? Fit-out, Sea Trials etc? Is it all on time?
All going to plan

Matt73

There was a really good Channel 5 documentary in the UK over the weekend about the QE2.  I'm sure it's on the 5 catch-up site if you missed it.

One of the many interesting revelations, to me at least, regarded the original steam propulsion system.  The designers had stipulated 4, but Cunard reduced the number to 3 to save money.  This decision was blamed for many of the subsequent problems Cunard had with the propulsion system; the boilers were flogged to death and they couldn't take them offline to conduct routine maintenance.  In the end they ripped the lot out and installed diesel engines.

No, I haven't gone off thread!  The question I have regards the E-Flexers, which have been built with only two catapillar engines, as I understand it.  Design and construction has come on in leaps and bounds since the 1960s, but I wonder how confident we are that the E-flexers will not suffer the same fate as the QE2?   I know that they are designed so that each ship can operate with just one propeller working, but the Estrid will be operating a fairly punishing schedule and the three for BF will be thrashed in the Bay of Biscay. 

Approps of the BF ships, neither will make the service speed of the Cap Finistere, as I understand it, so will BF be changing the Spannish schedules once Gailica and Salamanca enter service?  Also, do we know yet where the third one is likley to be placed?

Thanks.

Matt

Steven

Quote from: Matt73 on June 04, 2019, 03:02:29 PM
There was a really good Channel 5 documentary in the UK over the weekend about the QE2.  I'm sure it's on the 5 catch-up site if you missed it.

One of the many interesting revelations, to me at least, regarded the original steam propulsion system.  The designers had stipulated 4, but Cunard reduced the number to 3 to save money.  This decision was blamed for many of the subsequent problems Cunard had with the propulsion system; the boilers were flogged to death and they couldn't take them offline to conduct routine maintenance.  In the end they ripped the lot out and installed diesel engines.

No, I haven't gone off thread!  The question I have regards the E-Flexers, which have been built with only two catapillar engines, as I understand it.  Design and construction has come on in leaps and bounds since the 1960s, but I wonder how confident we are that the E-flexers will not suffer the same fate as the QE2?   I know that they are designed so that each ship can operate with just one propeller working, but the Estrid will be operating a fairly punishing schedule and the three for BF will be thrashed in the Bay of Biscay. 

Approps of the BF ships, neither will make the service speed of the Cap Finistere, as I understand it, so will BF be changing the Spannish schedules once Gailica and Salamanca enter service?  Also, do we know yet where the third one is likley to be placed?

Thanks.

Matt
To be fair the entire Visentini series have managed fine on two engines.  Stena Superfast X only ever runs on two engines (as do the North Channel superfasts).  Epsilon runs on Dublin to Holyhead with only 2 engines and her reliability last year put Ulysses to shame!  My only slight concern would be the DFDS example with her more intense Calais schedule, but I'm sure DFDS/Stena/Deltamarin have considered this.  Do bear in mind the E-Flexer series are designed to attain 18 knots in service on just one engine!  Cap Finistere barely seems to exceed 24 kts looking at her history on ais so perhaps there won't be a need for any timetable changes, especially considering the E-Flexer's are designed for a faster turnaround and 24kts running.  It doesn't seem to be concerning Brittany Ferries anyhow given they have now ordered three.

Matt73

Quote from: Steven on June 05, 2019, 10:02:03 PM
Quote from: Matt73 on June 04, 2019, 03:02:29 PM

Thanks.

Matt
To be fair the entire Visentini series have managed fine on two engines.  Stena Superfast X only ever runs on two engines (as do the North Channel superfasts).  Epsilon runs on Dublin to Holyhead with only 2 engines and her reliability last year put Ulysses to shame!  My only slight concern would be the DFDS example with her more intense Calais schedule, but I'm sure DFDS/Stena/Deltamarin have considered this.  Do bear in mind the E-Flexer series are designed to attain 18 knots in service on just one engine!  Cap Finistere barely seems to exceed 24 kts looking at her history on ais so perhaps there won't be a need for any timetable changes, especially considering the E-Flexer's are designed for a faster turnaround and 24kts running.  It doesn't seem to be concerning Brittany Ferries anyhow given they have now ordered three.

Thanks Steven,

I was hoping you would allay my concerns abs you have!

Matt