Oscar Wilde sale agreed

Started by jgf, April 11, 2019, 08:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimjoe

Quote from: alfie79 on June 05, 2019, 07:23:35 AM

mark my words IF will be back in rosslare next year

They never left Rosslare - they've 2 departures a day still!

Assuming you meant the French service - what's your basis for this claim? I've heard nothing from my contacts in IF that would indicate any considerations of switching WB Yeats or Epsilon to Rosslare in the next 18 months.

Steven

Quote from: jimjoe on June 05, 2019, 10:16:15 PM

They never left Rosslare - they've 2 departures a day still!

Assuming you meant the French service - what's your basis for this claim? I've heard nothing from my contacts in IF that would indicate any considerations of switching WB Yeats or Epsilon to Rosslare in the next 18 months.
Indeed.  There's also the fact Yeats won't even fit Roscoff so if they are going to sail there they need another ship (and a port agreement of course).
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

alfie79

They never left Rosslare - they’ve 2 departures a day still!

Assuming you meant the French service - what’s your basis for this claim? I’ve heard nothing from my contacts in IF that would indicate any considerations of switching WB Yeats or Epsilon to Rosslare in the next 18 months.
Of course i meant french service,with my experience with IF i think they are playing a waiting game/hardball to see what happens if goverment steps in to help them financially.it is quite possible in a couple of years that they could run dub- cherb and alternate to ross-cherb, like years ago when they done ross-cherb/le harve/roscoff and cork-cherb/le harve/roscoff.
there is after all a wealth of people in south east/south/south west who rather use rosslare to france
and if rosslare is too being improved and with new roads it is a possibilty,i am specualting and going on past experience with irish ferries you never know.

alfie79

Quote from: Steven on June 05, 2019, 11:12:39 PM

They never left Rosslare - they’ve 2 departures a day still!

Assuming you meant the French service - what’s your basis for this claim? I’ve heard nothing from my contacts in IF that would indicate any considerations of switching WB Yeats or Epsilon to Rosslare in the next 18 months.
Indeed.  There's also the fact Yeats won't even fit Roscoff so if they are going to sail there they need another ship (and a port agreement of course).
yes im aware that yeats is to big for roscoff and i do think they are finished in roscoff unless they throw a curve ball and charter/buy a ship for cork-roscoff in rival to BF.but that is very very very doubtful.
I have no basis for any of the claims just going on my past knowledge/experience with IF that its never the full story with them.
if get help from goverment which they have already succeccefully got help when  they threaten to pull the french completly a few years ago,you very well could see them bk in rosslare alternating between there and dublin to cherb,i was a bit strong in saying mark my words but a  of lot of things have to line up like rossl mprovement road improvment and aid/pressure from goverment
and there is a lot people in the south who would rather use rosslare so the customer base is still there
anyway its a specuation from me and is this notwhat forums are for too FACT and FICTION nothing wrong with opinions

hhvferry

How could the Irish government legally provide any "support" to a private sector company which operates in competition with othe private sector companies? And why would they bother given the company's approach to flagging out and foreign crews?

Chef

Quote from: hhvferry on June 07, 2019, 07:48:15 AM
How could the Irish government legally provide any "support" to a private sector company which operates in competition with othe private sector companies? And why would they bother given the company's approach to flagging out and foreign crews?
I absolutely agree , plus with Irish Ferries you never know when or where they might decide to switch operations. They will do what suits them commercially and not want the Government wants . They are not bound to any legal agreement with the Government and maybe they like it that way . As far as operating flags and crewing , Cyprus is a EU Country and if crews are from other EU countries they are not considered as being foreign as such , which is the way Irish Ferries see it .

alfie79

Quote from: hhvferry on June 07, 2019, 07:48:15 AM
that is a fair point which i never thought of why would they bother iven the company's approach to flagging out and foreign crews
but then again it is the irish goverment you just wouldnt know
as regrds legally provide any "support" to a private sector company  they did previously "support" IF when they threaten to pull out french run but IF were flagged in ireland then

IFPete

There is demand for seasonal operation out of Rosslare

Lets wait and see how the court case is settled.

alfie79

Quote from: IFPete on June 07, 2019, 11:26:21 AM

Lets wait and see how the court case is settled.
#BRINGBACKOSCAR

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on June 07, 2019, 11:26:21 AM

Irish Ferries would argue otherwise!  The court case is just an excuse anyway - the Dublin to France route (not to mention Brittany Ferries Cork operation and Stena's Rosslare to France route) is subject to the same rules anyway!!

There's also the need for a suitable ship of course of which there won't be many (and it seems Irish Ferries had multiple offers for Oscar to chose from when they decided to cash in).  Especially for vessels that they can afford to have sitting around in the "off" season!  If for some reason Irish Ferries do decide to do a u-turn (when did they last do that?) I very much doubt they will use a vessel anywhere near the standard of Oscar in terms of passenger facilities.  In any case, all its going to do is make the economics of the Dublin to France operation worse by cannibalising some of the trade.  I think people forget that Rosslare still has a ferry link to France and AFAIK Neptune is still carrying trailers on their service as well.  Brittany Ferries are also working hard to attract trade now frequency on their competing service from Cork has basically doubled.  There's only so much traffic to be shared between all operators at the end of the day, and there is a pull both from Dublin and Cork for people who previously would have travelled via Rosslare.  Not to mention the Stena service which uses a far more economical vessel than Oscar (and with whom any operation from Rosslare to France will be competing with directly).
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline