W.B.YEATS DELIVERY IS DELAYED

Started by alfie79, April 21, 2018, 12:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Quote from: jgf on September 19, 2018, 09:39:20 PM
It is all gone very quiet is WB actually going to appear in October?

Now supposedly starting Sea Trials in October, rumors do point to electrical installation issues being the cause of the problem and daily compensation from Shipyard (would expect heads to roll at FSG after this debacle, giving IF ferry on the cheap and to pay compensation as well).

They will be glad to have WB gone from fitting out berth, also with the length of time hull has been in the water, probably need to clean the hull in drydock to attain maximum speed on sea trails, this could drag on for awhile yet.

IF under no pressure really until January for this new build when Ulysses goes for what will be a much needed drydock, would imagine they would like to have WB in service.

IFPete

Its very sad to see such a screw-up happening for shipyard that has tried its best to be innovative and give sub-assembly work to shipyards in Poland that have struggled over the years.

Dispite this setback Irish Ferries continue to keep their purchasing power in europe unlike Stena and DFDs.

Hopefully the second car ferry project will be delivered on time without any of the drama WB Yeats has attracted.

I believe there is scope for a lot more orders from FSG , provided they learn the hard lessons from WB Yeats fitting out and late delivery.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on September 22, 2018, 03:14:53 PM
Its very sad to see such a screw-up happening for shipyard that has tried its best to be innovative and give sub-assembly work to shipyards in Poland that have struggled over the years.

Dispite this setback Irish Ferries continue to keep their purchasing power in europe unlike Stena and DFDs.

Hopefully the second car ferry project will be delivered on time without any of the drama WB Yeats has attracted.

I believe there is scope for a lot more orders from FSG , provided they learn the hard lessons from WB Yeats fitting out and late delivery.
To be honest FSG's model of subcontracting superstructures has been well proven for over a decade.  The difference this time is the scale of the project and the involvement of another sub-contractor to complete the centre module (which is the one rumoured to have the issues as well). Irish Ferries will have gotten this vessel "cheap" simply because it is the first vessel of this size the yard has completed and they need an order to prove themselves to be able to secure further (more profitable) orders - of which they have one for Brittany Ferries and two for TT Line Pty.  Its not unusual for the first vessel of a type to be sold "cheap" by a yard just to secure that all important first order.  Similar will have happened with Stena at AVIC I'm sure (and the more they order, the more profit will be made on each unit by the yard).

As for the comment about Stena and DFDS not investing in Europe, name a yard in Europe capable of producing that many vessels of that size in that time scale?  DFDS has ordered six 6,700lm roro's which will be delivered within 4 years of the first order being placed, plus two 4500lm RoPax's from a different yard for delivery in 2021 ordered earlier this year.  Stena have eight 3100lm+ Ro-pax's scheduled to be delivered by the end of 2022.  Its almost two and a half years since WB YEATS was ordered and she hasn't even had trials!

European suppliers are also playing a huge part in those projects, especially the Stena one (I know less about the DFDS ones as I haven't been following them closely).  ICG have ordered two one off vessels (though based on a modular design and with many similarities I'm told) with a huge amount of financial (loan) assistance from the EU.  DFDS and Stena have ordered three series designs with their own resources.  The ICG ships are essentially partially financed by the European Investment Bank, while the regional government in Germany has also provided assistance to the yard as well.  I doubt that EU money would have been available for an order placed in China since it is EU tax payers money that is funding ICG's cheap finance! Loans of EUR 155m at less than 1.8% interest is a pretty big incentive to place an order in Europe if you ask me!

(Edit: should add that I'm not criticising ICG here, just pointing out we are talking about two entirely different situations here and that ICG May have an incentive to build in the EU that the others do not)

I've been hearing November for Yeats in service all being well, but there have also been some suggestions that it could be January 2019.  ICG's prediction of "late 2018" doesn't inspire confidence, but better than naming another specific date to be missed!  As for whats causing the delay, the large patch of primer on her port side where the aft and centre section meet is interesting.....  Any issue with the prefabrication is going to take an inordinate amount of time to put right compared to the original prefabrication.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

Steven

Sea trials POSSIBLY starting next Friday.  I've heard there have been more setbacks though but at least there are suggestions of it happening.  Of course it could be some time after trials before she is delivered.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/w-b-yeats-sea-trials/

ferryfan

Jamie1608

She's been bunkered.

The bunker is on her way from the shipyard

Chef

Lot's of hull painting taking place at the moment , bunch of cherry pickers  along the starboard side  working away painting the hull .

IFPete

lotts of workers on board this morning

I would be surprised if she is ready to go out to sea today.

ferryfan

Huge amount of activity around the ship Upper car deck doors closed lots of workers leaving the ship windows being cleaned, think she will be underway soon.

IFPete

Upper door will get a paint after she comes back from sea trails.

conor

Does anyone have an estimated time for her to start her sea trials. She looks almost ready to go Thanks

Steven

Quote from: conor on October 19, 2018, 05:39:03 PM
Does anyone have an estimated time for her to start her sea trials. She looks almost ready to go Thanks
It was today but pushed back.  A few days extra delay isn't going to make a lot of difference given how long she is delayed

https://www.niferry.co.uk/w-b-yeats-sea-trials/

giftgrub

Given how long the hull has been in the water, might even need to be drydocked to remove algae etc to reach contracted speeds etc ( unless the anti fouling is really good stuff).

ferryfan

Quote from: IFPete on October 19, 2018, 05:12:51 PM
Upper door will get a paint after she comes back from sea trails.
It's getting painted today.