W.B.YEATS DELIVERY IS DELAYED

Started by alfie79, April 21, 2018, 12:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giftgrub

Quote from: SEA on April 23, 2018, 01:16:42 PM
I am sure there is a clause in the contract whereby if the shipbuilder does not deliver the vessel on time there will be a financial penalty . I don't know if this is true or false but I remember hearing many moons ago the Isle of of inishmore was not delivered on time to Irish Ferries. By way of making up Van de Giesen Built the Glass bar which is now the club class lounge on the the top deck free of charge . True or False ??

Inishmore was involved in an incident during its launch when it went across the river and suffered minor damage, as a gesture shipyard fitted the glass bar on top to make up for delay and inconvenience.

If FSG have been smart, I would imagine there is no late delivery clause as it is quite a good value contract price compared to other orders placed since.

Surprised they did not deploy Epsilon in its place and transfer excess to Oscar Wilde, Horizon, would have been easier to manage, transfer bulk of Epsilon bookings to big U and excess to Stena or charter in freighter to provide cover.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on April 23, 2018, 10:09:32 PM
Quote from: SEA on April 23, 2018, 01:16:42 PM
I am sure there is a clause in the contract whereby if the shipbuilder does not deliver the vessel on time there will be a financial penalty . I don't know if this is true or false but I remember hearing many moons ago the Isle of of inishmore was not delivered on time to Irish Ferries. By way of making up Van de Giesen Built the Glass bar which is now the club class lounge on the the top deck free of charge . True or False ??

Inishmore was involved in an incident during its launch when it went across the river and suffered minor damage, as a gesture shipyard fitted the glass bar on top to make up for delay and inconvenience.

If FSG have been smart, I would imagine there is no late delivery clause as it is quite a good value contract price compared to other orders placed since.

Surprised they did not deploy Epsilon in its place and transfer excess to Oscar Wilde, Horizon, would have been easier to manage, transfer bulk of Epsilon bookings to big U and excess to Stena or charter in freighter to provide cover.

I imagine EPSILON would have a lot more traffic booked on her over the course of 3 weeks though considering the number of round trips she does and the amount of freight moving across the central corridor.  Does it make more sense to annoy customers who travel a couple of times a year in peak or customers who use your service year round with contracts to do so?  Chartering a freighter wouldn't be a solution for time-sensitive accompanied traffic either.  It has been reported that we are talking around 10,000 passengers and less than 3,000 total bookings over the 3 week period, which is hardly full loads.  Who here would be happy if they had booked on "Cruise Ferry" WB YEATS and got shoved onto EPSILON or STENA HORIZON without a say in the matter instead?

Without a doubt this could have been handled a lot better from the passengers perspective.  It was perhaps unwise to schedule her so intensively considering the brevity of the build and the fact she is a new design for a yard that has never built a similar vessel, but with delivery in the peak season it was perhaps seen as being worth the risk rather than losing out on the entire summer.  If anything it's normal for new vessels to be delayed, even if only slightly.  Saying that, this is a vessel that was originally meant to be delivered in May which now looks unlikely to appear until towards the end of July at the earliest!

Having worked in a managerial role in customer service, the only reason to give customers a voucher that can only be used on a future date is to try to ensure they return - perhaps it would have been better to offer a discount on the already booked (and moved) trip and/OR a goodwill voucher for future use?  The "goodwill gesture" itself seems to have created a lot of fury given the additional costs people are incurring.  On that, I believe it isn't actually even a voucher or code but an electronic discount added to the customers online account.  The press have had a field day, no doubt, and there have even been suggestions in the press that IF may be bending/breaking EU rules on compensation (they are claiming "unforeseen circumstances", essentially the act of God clause to avoid paying out).  Of course there are two sides to every story, but at the end of the day Irish Ferries need their customers more than customers need Irish Ferries!

Personally I feel for the customer service staff who have had to take a real battering from customers over the past few days through no fault of their own, and who's hands appear to be tied.

Last I saw share price was down 2.8% btw.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

Irish Times coverage today and I am sure other Papers was a little bit overboard (if you pardon the pun) to be fair to IF they have flagged this issue with 12 weeks notice and most people should be able to tweak their time off/ reschedule for a 24/48 hour period.

Obviously some people will feel done over by this, but hopefully IF who have many years experience handling customer experience will manage this ok.

I know it is a pain in the proverbial but it always reminds be of the saying "Sh1t Happens" but if they manage it properly everything should be OK.

Would imagine with hindsight they would have left themselves a few more weeks downtime to test ship on Ireland U.K. Routes and then start France run.

Only reason I suggested Epsilon is they have the mega capacity of Big U and ability to transfer some traffic to Stena to help mitigate PR issues ( remember we are enthusiasts, Muggles just want to go on holidays)

Steven

Perhaps some of the media reports are over the top, but we are talking about people who are out of pocket by some significant amounts - given we are talking about peak season it's perhaps unsurprising that some people are having issues finding alternative routes and are having to pay more just to get across as travel from Rosslare on alternative days doesn't suit (assuming there is space), never mind any additional accommodation costs incurred.  That's before any potential lack of availability for ammended accommodation dates is even considered of course.  What use is a discount next year to these people who's confidence in the company must be severely dented?  Informing all customers at the same time via email after 9pm on a Friday night was asking for trouble - how well staffed is the call centre on a Friday night and over the weekend?  Not well enough if the comments from customers all over social media are to be believed! 

Putting aside the communication with customers, ICG should be well covered financially in terms of a delay in the delivery from the yard.  We are also talking about a business with significant financial reserves as well, but the best they can do is a €150 Euro discount on a sailing next year that people might not even want to take as they plan to go elsewhere!  Cancellations may have been unavoidable but the response and the "goodwill gesture" could have been much better in my opinion.

The attitude has been "it's not our fault", yet it was Irish Ferries who placed the order, advertised the space, and took the bookings telling people they would be travelling on a brand new luxury cruiseferry.  According to irish ferries themselves 56% have made alternative arrangements with Irish Ferries, so effectively 44% of those with bookings have taken their refund and gone elsewhere such as Stena, Brittany Ferries, and of course the land bridge! 

This isn't the first time people have had their sailings cancelled onboard this vessel, and I've seen reports of people with bookings after the 29th being cancelled by IF as well.  I wonder when this vessel will actually turn up - for the sake of those looking forward to going on holiday on her I hope this is the last of the cancellations.

In Irish Ferries defence they have at least put out a few statements since the initial one updating on the situation.

IFPete

At the end of the day IF have contracted to take these customers to France,

How they get there depends on transfering to Oscar Wilde or Stena Horizon or travelling overland to Portsmouth or Dover and onto the continent at IF expense.

The unfortunate problem is if they paid for a delux cabin in which case they may get some money back.

Its too early to see full impact of the disruption.

I would not be surprised in WB Yeats Season on Ireland - France is extended until end of September.

IF are not taking Bookings for her on Dublin - Holyhead.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on April 25, 2018, 11:52:18 AM
At the end of the day IF have contracted to take these customers to France,

How they get there depends on transfering to Oscar Wilde or Stena Horizon or travelling overland to Portsmouth or Dover and onto the continent at IF expense.

The unfortunate problem is if they paid for a delux cabin in which case they may get some money back.

Its too early to see full impact of the disruption.

I would not be surprised in WB Yeats Season on Ireland - France is extended until end of September.

IF are not taking Bookings for her on Dublin - Holyhead.
She'll only be slotting on to Epsilon's schedule anyway.  They didn't take bookings for Dublin Swift either but she's about to go into service.

As for Irish Ferries only being contracted to get passengers from Ireland to France, that's not true.  They were contracted to get passengers from Dublin to Cherbourg, not Rosslare, Cork, or Galway to Cherbourg, Montoir, Le Havre, or Calais!  For over 40% of bookings they couldn't even manage that, and instead those people are having to pay potentially inflated prices elsewhere due to lack of availability.  The selling point of this service was convenience to the main population centre on the Island, the additional departure times, and luxury.  Instead passengers are being charged the same price to have their holiday plans put into disarray and travel on what is on paper an inferior vessel to the one which they so aggressively advertised.  Some may argue that having to drive to Rosslare isn't all that bad, but if that is the case what's the point in having the service from Dublin in the first place!  I know of a few people from NI who are now taking the land bridge instead.

awaityourreply

As reported elsewhere...
Following the initial sailing cancellations previously announced by Irish Ferries it was since confirmed on 12th June that all bookings for those who were intending to travel on the W.B.Yeats vessel throughout the whole month of August have now also been cancelled due to late delivery of the new ship.

The WB Yeats now likely to commence sailing with Irish Ferries on the Dublin to Holyhead route in September.

Source:
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/new-ferry-delay-sees-thousands-more-hit-by-irish-ferries-cancellations-1.3528011

ferryfan

As you would expect from the management of Irish Ferries the "compensation" they are offering is a derisory €150 money off voucher which must be used next year and is only valid on Ireland-France services. No offer to compensate passengers who do choose to be packed onto the Oscar Wilde for either fuel costs or other travel expenses or indeed for having to travel on a much older and far inferior ferry than the one they booked and paid for. No offer to compensate passengers if they have to start/end their holidays early or late.
The management of this company still believe that they can treat fare paying passengers in the same manner that they treat their staff.

awaityourreply

"Brittany Ferries rows in to help Irish Ferries customers"

Brittany Ferries is trying to help people who booked with Irish Ferries WB Yeats, but may not be able to accommodate many because they are nearly full for July and August...

Further report via below link published in the Irish Examiner newspaper online edition.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/brittany-ferries-rows-in-to-help-irish-ferries-customers-471824.html

The insider

Rumours  going  around  that Yeats is way off completion. ..someone  got all the measurements  for the accommodation  all mixed ...and it's up to a meter off

giftgrub

Quote from: The insider on July 20, 2018, 12:54:16 PM
Rumours  going  around  that Yeats is way off completion. ..someone  got all the measurements  for the accommodation  all mixed ...and it's up to a meter off

Some strange rumours also on the Facebook that they forgot crew cabins and various other potential gaffs.

Given that the accommodation blocks were built off site, this is not impossible, however there must be regular checks and audits carried out during construction to ensure this type of issue does not arise.

There is obviously a major issue with construction of the WB and the potential damage this could have for the shipyard if IF were to cancel the contract or seek damages due to non performance of contract could be huge. (Hopefully will not come to that).

It is probably not a coincidence that this is the most complex ferry built at FSG and the delays should have been expected as the delivery plan was very ambitious, the knock on effect to the next Ferries due to be built could also be significant, we can expect delays to Honfleur, Georgie Burgess, and Spirit of Tasmania twins, no point building the hulls if they can't finish the rest of the ship.

Last major ferry order that went wrong, the Scandlines ferries Berlin/ Copenhagen closed the shipyard, and of course the late delivery of the Mont St Michel to BF was the deal that finished Van der Giessen de Noord.

IFPete

When B+I Leinster and Connacht were build in Verolme in Cork, their fit-out took over a year for each. This is a complex task.

In those days a days delay in delivery once it went to press was considered a disaster.

Fitting out a more complex ferry like WB Yeats in four months was very ambitious and to be successful required really good planning and coordination between suppliers and sub-suppliers. It appears in this instance this was not the case particularly with the interior specification which was further subcontracted out. I wonder will the polish shipyards have to foot the bill or Sian Industires themselves.

I am sure Irish Ferries will come to an arrangement with Sian Industries prior to delivery of WB Yeats which hopefully will meet the spec 99 % when she is finally delivered.

Given the above and the extent of progress on Brittany Ferries sub-assembly construction there is a risk she my suffer a similar faite in terms of final delivery date.

Steven

82cm apparently  ;)

This isn't a new rumour by any stretch.  Its what some of us heard (from several independent sources) when the further delays were announced.  However I doubt anyone is going to be willing to confirm if it is true.  It would certainly account for the large additional delay, and if true wouldn't necessarily mean the 'official' explanation for the delay is totally inaccurate either (quite feasible things might need replaced as a result).

Which brings me nicely to this.  Since I've been getting questions about compensation from affected customers of WB YEATS, ULYSSES, and EPSILON I have published a handy guide to the rules on compensation due to delay or cancellation of a ferry crossing.  The ferry companies will probably hate me for it, but its nothing they don't bury in their terms and conditions anyway!  Posting here as I know a number of concerned passengers read this forum.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/ferry-delay-cancellation-compensation/

IFPete

The compensation limits are determined by EU.

In my case i mist my connection with Luftansa and had to spend the night on a bench at the airport,

I got nothing because Luftansa said it was the air traffic control delayed the flight. There were hundreds of people in Frankfurt in a similar situation.

ccs

Quote from: Steven on July 21, 2018, 07:13:37 PM
82cm apparently  ;)

This isn't a new rumour by any stretch.  Its what some of us heard (from several independent sources) when the further delays were announced.  However I doubt anyone is going to be willing to confirm if it is true.  It would certainly account for the large additional delay, and if true wouldn't necessarily mean the 'official' explanation for the delay is totally inaccurate either (quite feasible things might need replaced as a result).

Which brings me nicely to this.  Since I've been getting questions about compensation from affected customers of WB YEATS, ULYSSES, and EPSILON I have published a handy guide to the rules on compensation due to delay or cancellation of a ferry crossing.  The ferry companies will probably hate me for it, but its nothing they don't bury in their terms and conditions anyway!  Posting here as I know a number of concerned passengers read this forum.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/ferry-delay-cancellation-compensation/

They'll need a lot of silicone to fill that gap   :D

Thanks for the compensation guide.