HSC Dublin Swift

Started by ferryfan, April 06, 2018, 02:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsav68

Morning Swift sailing cancelled today. And everything running behind schedule yesterday.

"Irish Ferries regrets to advise that due to operational reasons, the 07:30hrs Swift Fast Craft sailing is now CANCELLED. Customers can be accommodated on the 0805hrs Ulysses Cruise Ferry from Dublin."

IFPete

The parts must have arrived for the unserviceable engine.

marsav68

Quote from: IFPete on August 13, 2019, 10:32:44 AM

Think it is still having an issue, still only hitting 26Kn on this afternoon sailing. Possible they decided to just protect her this morning and take everyone on the Ulysses

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on August 13, 2019, 10:32:44 AM
Or perhaps bookings were low and so they've decided to use one vessel in place of two.  Evidently there was space on Ulysses on what should be a busy sailing.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

SEA

Due to technical difficulties Swift Cancelled until further notice . Also Rumours circulating that in the coming Months both Inishmore and Ulysses will be going to have Scrubbers fitted . A ship yard in Poland was mentioned ,

IFPete

That needs to happen per a worldwide directive.

In that case we may see WB Yeats Deputising for both Ulysses and IOI and perhaps charter tonnage on Ireland - France.

Davy Jones

Would that not also apply to Stena Adventurer eventually? Presumably that would happen after the arrival of Estrid.

jgf

Quote from: SEA on August 29, 2019, 08:41:17 AM
Due to technical difficulties Swift Cancelled until further notice . Also Rumours circulating that in the coming Months both Inishmore and Ulysses will be going to have Scrubbers fitted . A ship yard in Poland was mentioned ,

I was planning on getting the swift on Monday, that is a pity but it has been running late a lot recently

jimjoe

Quote from: Davy Jones on August 29, 2019, 10:34:38 AM
Would that not also apply to Stena Adventurer eventually? Presumably that would happen after the arrival of Estrid.

Appplies to all vessels. From 1 January they need to have significantly lower emissions - choice is to burn a lower sulphur fuel (either more expensive lower sulphur fuel oil or LNG) or else find a way to "clean" the emissions before exhausting (I.e. scrubbers).

Steven

Quote from: Davy Jones on August 29, 2019, 10:34:38 AM

Stena may chose not to go with scrubbers on Adventurer.  Retrofits are proving to be a costly exercise with far from guaranteed success.  Even new builds (such as Estrid) are being ordered without them fitted!  Stena have plenty of experience with exhaust cleaning technology (Jutlandica was the first ferry in the world fitted with SCR for example), and have tried a few different approaches, so I guess they will look at the data and make a call based on their analysis.  Scrubbers have disadvantages but so does reduced sulphur fuel in engines not designed to run it.  Likewise it will be a judgement call for Irish Ferries too.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

ferryfan

Dublin Swift en route to Liverpool?

ferryfan

Swift now berthed in Alexandra Docks tied up with no linkspan.

Futureskipper

Would there be more maintenance work going on?

ferryfan

Swift is berthed where Stena Lagan was laid up before she moved on I don't know if maintenance is being carried out on her but I suspect that she is just being mothballed and I'd guess that it is unlikely she will enter service this year (or ever again).

IFPete

no-one will travel to ireland for holiday while lockdown measures are in place,

WB Yeats will remain on Dublin - Holyhead route until most likely August when goverment retrictions are lifted.

Swift will only be required at that point, in any case her charter options are slimb at this time.

As the 2nd New Build will not arrive for two or three years i expect Swift will remain in the fleet.

Its more likely some modifications have to be made to comply with Covid retrictions before she can carry passengers again.