HSC Dublin Swift

Started by ferryfan, April 06, 2018, 02:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongTimeReader

Times sort of adjusted based on what IF site says.

8:45, arriving at 10:45, now departs at 8:30. 11:50 sailing now departs at 11:30. Arrival time stays same. Second sailings of the day are 2 hours each. Probably will take slightly longer than 2 hours. So 2 hours is now the shortest crossing.

I was on the JS back in September '16 and we cruised across in fair weather at a top speed of 33 ktns. Took a little over 2 hours.

ferryfan

I think most of those adjustments are due to using T5 at Holyhead. The former Jonathan Swift is getting ready to depart and will be heading for La Coruna this evening.

ferryfan

The Jonathan Swift leaving Dublin and getting a send off from the port tugs short video at this link (not mine) and glad to see she's making over 40 knots on her way to her new life.
https://youtu.be/65v8-NNpHbU

Steven

Quote from: ferryfan on April 28, 2018, 11:58:13 AM
I think most of those adjustments are due to using T5 at Holyhead. The former Jonathan Swift is getting ready to depart and will be heading for La Coruna this evening.
She's a slower vessel at sea (same power output as JS) and also to load/discharge.  Extra capacity aside, she has that narrow stern ramp remember.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

She is slower at sea and has greater capacity for buses and vans than Jonathan Swift.

Hopefully moving to T5 will only be temperary.

Davy Jones

Why is she using T5 anyway? J. Swift used to use T2 on her early run and T3 on her later one.

Could they (Holyhead Ports) not use T4 for layups? I know there is no link-span there now but for much of the time it is empty - only used during fuel delivery to the shore tanks.

RorieLen

Quote from: Davy Jones on May 13, 2018, 03:14:00 PM
Why is she using T5 anyway? J. Swift used to use T2 on her early run and T3 on her later one.

Could they (Holyhead Ports) not use T4 for layups? I know there is no link-span there now but for much of the time it is empty - only used during fuel delivery to the shore tanks.

I believe she doesn't fit T2 in its current form. She uses T5 as she wouldn't clear T3 in time for the morning arrival of Ulysses but leaves T5 just prior to Stena Adventurer going in.

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on May 14, 2018, 09:19:00 PM
On board Dublin Swift

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/first-look-dublin-swift-the-new-fast-ferry-to-holyhead-1.3494521?mode=amp
Somehow they've managed to make her look even worse than the pictures I've seen before!  She does appear rather bland compared to her predecessor, but her interior does appear to be the direction Irish Ferries are moving in if the WB YEATS renders are anything to go by.  I just hope they don't do the same to Ulysses!

IFPete

Somehow i get the feeling Dublin Swift is only a transition to something else.

The Swift service is very popular due to its fast service to Holyhead , a nitch WB Yeats or its successor will not easily replace.

If Swift continues to attract high volumes as it consistantly has since the demise of the Dun Laoire - Holyhead service i see irish ferries placing an order for a purpose built Austal 112 or leasing or purchasing Leonardo Christina from Fred Olsen Group. Dublin Swift appears to be underpowered for its current mission and the fact that the stern ramp was not replaced during the drydock hints its future is somewhere else. 

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on June 09, 2018, 12:09:35 PM
Somehow i get the feeling Dublin Swift is only a transition to something else.

The Swift service is very popular due to its fast service to Holyhead , a nitch WB Yeats or its successor will not easily replace.

If Swift continues to attract high volumes as it consistantly has since the demise of the Dun Laoire - Holyhead service i see irish ferries placing an order for a purpose built Austal 112 or leasing or purchasing Leonardo Christina from Fred Olsen Group. Dublin Swift appears to be underpowered for its current mission and the fact that the stern ramp was not replaced during the drydock hints its future is somewhere else.
Shes a transition to FSG777  :D

hhvferry

If Swift continues to attract high volumes as it consistantly has since the demise of the Dun Laoire - Holyhead service i see irish ferries placing an order for a purpose built Austal 112 or leasing or purchasing Leonardo Christina from Fred Olsen Group.
There's hundreds of fast ferries out there - why would IF want to pay over the odds for Leonora Christina? (Fred. Olsen have no need or desire to sell any of their mainline fleet).

IFPete

There are not many big enough drive through fast ferries out there with the reliability of the Austal Series.

Steven

Quote from: hhvferry on June 10, 2018, 10:14:00 PM
If Swift continues to attract high volumes as it consistantly has since the demise of the Dun Laoire - Holyhead service i see irish ferries placing an order for a purpose built Austal 112 or leasing or purchasing Leonardo Christina from Fred Olsen Group.
There's hundreds of fast ferries out there - why would IF want to pay over the odds for Leonora Christina? (Fred. Olsen have no need or desire to sell any of their mainline fleet).

Must say I agree here.  Fred Olsen have no desire to let her go so will want a high price, and ICG aren't known for paying over the odds for anything.  I'd question whether it would be worth the investment in any case - it's not like passengers will pay significantly more for the saved crossing time to justify the investment.

IFPete

Time will tell, If they replace the aft ramp during and improve some of the crew working areas during the winter , Dublin Swift will improve her punctiality