HSC Dublin Swift

Started by ferryfan, April 06, 2018, 02:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on June 12, 2018, 10:10:46 PM
Time will tell, If they replace the aft ramp during and improve some of the crew working areas during the winter , Dublin Swift will improve her punctiality
If they were going to replace the aft ramp they'd have done it during her "conversion" when she was already at the yard surely!  Anyone could see the issue it was going to pose.  From what I can see they only did what was necessary and will move her on when the time is right.  Hence the rather generic and easy to rebrand interior.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

I agree she is a stopgap to something else.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on June 14, 2018, 08:27:49 PM
I agree she is a stopgap to something else.
For me everything points to them doing the same as Stena.  At present the swift is doing the same thing as the HSS in providing additional passenger capacity to the second vessel (EPSILON rather than Nordica in this case).  Once FSG777 arrives they wont need that capacity any more and certainly wont need the vehicle capacity.  That and the swift service being absent in the second order press release when talking about what vessel would be doing what.  They'll make a decent profit on her I imagine.

ferryfan

I took my first trip on the Dublin Swift last week. When I got to the port the WB which was due to depart at 1600 was berthed at cruise 34. Epsilon berthed at 51A with SFX berthed at 51.
Boarding to the Swift was by foot walking from the terminal to the bow ramp. I booked club class which overlooked the bow and had great views. Seating was very comfortable with fold down tables and usb points, there are seats with tables on the front row and at the sides. Departure was bang on time and as we were reversing off the berth I could see the WB reversing down the river waiting to take our place on berth 49 prior to her 1600 departure. Weather en route was fair a bit misty but calm however the vessel seemed to pitch quite a bit at top speed and it was quite difficult to walk around. The two deck areas are very small with the port side set aside for smokers.
We arrived slightly ahead of schedule and it was interesting to watch the stern ramp dock at the berth. It unfolds and almost as soon as it touched the berth the cars were rolling off.

ferryfan

Dublin Swift will be dry docking from the 5th May until (estimated) the 24th May for planned works to be carried out.

ferryfan

Dublin Swift has arrived at Cammell Laird.

IFPete

New waterjets are being installed.

RorieLen

Quote from: IFPete on May 06, 2019, 01:44:16 PM
New waterjets are being installed.

I believe it is Azipod thrusters and not waterjets

Cladyman

Why o why could this not have been done during winter.   

Seems like bad planning from the outside

Ulysses17

Quote from: Cladyman on May 06, 2019, 02:18:46 PM
Why o why could this not have been done during winter.   

Seems like bad planning from the outside

the parts and software required had to be specially manufactured - they weren't available until now

IFPete

They have already invested Euro 7 million in her, i wonder does this include the cost of buying the new thrusters.  She needs to hang around for a while to recover that investment.

Will the new thrusters allow her to use Terminal 2 in Holyhead as well as to dock on days when she currently cannot dock in Holyhead.

According to Irish Ferries results they loose passenger and car traffic when she is not in service.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on May 07, 2019, 06:41:26 PM
They have already invested Euro 7 million in her, i wonder does this include the cost of buying the new thrusters.  She needs to hang around for a while to recover that investment.

Will the new thrusters allow her to use Terminal 2 in Holyhead as well as to dock on days when she currently cannot dock in Holyhead.

According to Irish Ferries results they loose passenger and car traffic when she is not in service.

Another way to recoup the investment would of course be to sell her on at a profit.  She was bought "cheap" remember and if anything the money that they have invested is just reinvestment of the profit made by switching her with her predecessor!  With improved manoeuvrability (and hopefully reliability) and increased vehicle capacity she is potentially worth more now than ever!

marsav68

Swift back in service this morning.

ferryfan

Swift was cancelled this afternoon "weather"  however she is now off Howth Head (at 11.00 pm) conducting Sea Trials according to her AIS.

ferryfan

Sailings cancelled again today no weather excuse gone technical.