does new irish ferries ships need different ramps dockside

Started by market knowledge, February 03, 2018, 09:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

market knowledge

if so what is leadtime
will it cause disruption in short term
interesting dynamic if stena have to invest in infrastructure at Holyhead to service bigger ships
likewise any investment needed in cherbourg

NathanBrady

hhvferry

The only interesting aspect to this point is whether Irish Ferries had to discuss with Stena Ports the options before placing the order for the new ship - and exactly how they did that given the whole thing was something of a secret. I'm sure Holyhead will be able to add the required infrastructure. Not sure why there is any additional required for the Yeats as she is pretty conventional in loading and Cherbourg has multiple underused berths which should be suitable with, at most, a little bit of tinkering.

Steven

Quote from: hhvferry on February 04, 2018, 10:45:19 PM
The only interesting aspect to this point is whether Irish Ferries had to discuss with Stena Ports the options before placing the order for the new ship - and exactly how they did that given the whole thing was something of a secret. I'm sure Holyhead will be able to add the required infrastructure. Not sure why there is any additional required for the Yeats as she is pretty conventional in loading and Cherbourg has multiple underused berths which should be suitable with, at most, a little bit of tinkering.
I think as well it would depend how the 3 tier loading/unloading of trucks when bow-in is going to be achieved.  I assume it'll be a case of a ramp or ramps at the bow end in much the same way some Aker builds have for cars.  If so, then so long as the fenders are long enough and linkspan in the right place (and of the required width) its a case of building the vessel to fit I would have thought.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

giftgrub

It's only the second new build that has the three tier loading arrangement the MV Georgie Burgess, as christened by one wit on the face book. That means Dublin and Holyhead Linkspans will need some work.

Going to be interesting watching the trailers being brought up a triple deck ramp by the in port tugs and possibly they will be independent of the existing twin deck Ramps, reducing the disruption caused by their construction.

Also, just because the new build can support triple deck loading, does not mean it had to be in place by the time it arrives on the route, would assume there will be internal ramps.

St Columba

I think the second new build will be too long for current birth. Ulysses is the max length it can accommodate?

IFPete

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on February 05, 2018, 08:43:05 PM
It's only the second new build that has the three tier loading arrangement the MV Georgie Burgess, as christened by one wit on the face book. That means Dublin and Holyhead Linkspans will need some work.

Going to be interesting watching the trailers being brought up a triple deck ramp by the in port tugs and possibly they will be independent of the existing twin deck Ramps, reducing the disruption caused by their construction.

Also, just because the new build can support triple deck loading, does not mean it had to be in place by the time it arrives on the route, would assume there will be internal ramps.
I think it is important here to distinguish between 3 tier loading and using a 3 tier linkspan.  I have yet to see anything official on a 3 tier linkspan apart from people presuming that is what is mean by 3 tier loading, remember it's not uncommon for cars to load on 3 tiers simultaneously  through the bow and has been for some time (even almost 2 decade old Ulysses has this).  In any case it will only be through the bow.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Matt73

Quote from: Steven on February 08, 2018, 08:04:31 AM
Quote from: giftgrub on February 05, 2018, 08:43:05 PM

I think it is important here to distinguish between 3 tier loading and using a 3 tier linkspan.  I have yet to see anything official on a 3 tier linkspan apart from people presuming that is what is mean by 3 tier loading, remember it's not uncommon for cars to load on 3 tiers simultaneously  through the bow and has been for some time (even almost 2 decade old Ulysses has this).  In any case it will only be through the bow.

The DFDS Dunkirk trio have a similar bow ramp arrangement to the Ulysees.  It seems to work very well.

Matt