Lengthening and upgrading Ulysses

Started by IFPete, January 26, 2018, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanBrady

Just what holyhead and Dubln port needs an even bigger ferry so all the trucks can get stuck and make traffic jams

Steven

Quote from: NathanBrady on March 18, 2018, 01:09:23 PM
Just what holyhead and Dubln port needs an even bigger ferry so all the trucks can get stuck and make traffic jams
New build 2 is even bigger so we shall see!  In any case the increase in capacity the second new build will bring probably removes any slim chance of Ulysses being extended anyway.  Especially if Stena replace X as well.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

IFPete

Ulysses Design was 80 % completed by Irish Ferries before Aker was selected and contracted to build the Ulysses.

Ullysses was build around the constraints of Dublin Port and two level at both Dublin and Holyhead onto four decks on Ulysses. The new ship will have five vehicle decks.

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on March 25, 2018, 02:42:01 PM
Ulysses Design was 80 % completed by Irish Ferries before Aker was selected and contracted to build the Ulysses.

Ullysses was build around the constraints of Dublin Port and two level at both Dublin and Holyhead onto four decks on Ulysses. The new ship will have five vehicle decks.
Do you have a source for that figure (80%)?  Anything I've read to date suggests Irish Ferries approached Aker (and others) with a specification for a vessel and Aker made their design fit it.  Reason I ask is there will eventually be an article on NIFS about Ulysses as she has been a previous visitor to H&W, so want to get my facts straight :).

ferryfan

Ulysses does not need any upgrading to her passenger facilities, I was on her a couple of weeeks ago and have to say that the ship is in excellent condition throughout and every area has the "as new" appearance. I don't think there is any call for lenghtening, the ship is big enough and with the massive extra tonnage on the way and the brexit mess it may be a struggle to fill them and her berth is limited to 210m.

IFPete

Quote from: Steven on April 02, 2018, 09:43:50 PM

Do you have a source for that figure (80%)?  Anything I've read to date suggests Irish Ferries approached Aker (and others) with a specification for a vessel and Aker made their design fit it.  Reason I ask is there will eventually be an article on NIFS about Ulysses as she has been a previous visitor to H&W, so want to get my facts straight :).

Steven - Check out
Discovery Channel Superships Irish Ferries Ulysses - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCzDc-LVRE

Steven

Quote from: IFPete on April 03, 2018, 06:31:42 PM
Quote from: Steven on April 02, 2018, 09:43:50 PM

Steven - Check out
Discovery Channel Superships Irish Ferries Ulysses - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyCzDc-LVRE

I assume you are referring to this quote:
Quote"When we signed up the contract for this we had developed the plans to about I'd say maybe 80% or thereabouts, but there were some serious challenges outstanding at the time of contract." 

All that says is when the two parties signed the contract the design was only around 80% complete.  TBH I'd take The Motorship (http://www.motorship.com/news101/industry-news/irish-ferries-for-finnish-yard) as a more reliable source than a Discovery Channel documentary.  Perhaps the 80% reference is that the Aker Concept was about 80% suitable as it stood when they signed the build contract (certainly thats what I took from that piece) - its not unusual for design challenges to be overcome after the contract is signed given the costs involved customising a design to a customers exact requirements as well as the need to accommodate different suppliers technology once suppliers have been selected based on the quotes they have given.  Note also the similarities between Ulysses and other Aker built ferries.

Collision-course

I cant see Ulysses needing an upgrade to be honest, the only work that ship really needs for the foreseeable future is its annual repaint and overhaul of mechanical units, as said above the ship is in great condition and does the job its doing very well, perhaps in a few years a refresh of her public area's might be in order, but you could hardly point to any interior section as being dated or worn out.