Lengthening and upgrading Ulysses

Started by IFPete, January 26, 2018, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IFPete

Given the fact that New Build 2 will be based on a Ulysses design with enhancements when it arrives from Flemsburg in mid - 2020 with its three tier bow loading, what are the chances of Irish Ferries upgrading and lengthing Ulysses to three tier loading along with installation of scrubber technology and interior refurbishment.

Ulysses could do with a proper freight drivers lounge with reclining seats, more cabins and perhaps they could reintroduce the Quays a la carte restaurant on level 11,

PaddyL

Quote from: IFPete on January 26, 2018, 05:23:59 PM
Given the fact that New Build 2 will be based on a Ulysses design with enhancements when it arrives from Flemsburg in mid - 2020 with its three tier bow loading, what are the chances of Irish Ferries upgrading and lengthing Ulysses to three tier loading along with installation of scrubber technology and interior refurbishment.

Ulysses could do with a proper freight drivers lounge with reclining seats, more cabins and perhaps they could reintroduce the Quays a la carte restaurant on level 11,

It would be very unusual for IF to consider a project like this but anything is possible.

IFPete

ICG they this before with St Killian which was lengthened in Amsterdam to St Killian II in the 1980s.

It was a great success because,

hhvferry

What demand is there for anything like the capacity a lengthened Ulysses would offer on the secondary Holyhead schedule? She seems a bit on the large size for it as is and the market will be flooded with freight capacity when the Superfast is replaced.

Davy Jones

Cant see it myself. Ulysses can currently do a full unload and load in the current designated time so there is no need to improve the load rate unless, as you say, she is extended to increase capacity. However, being that she is to become the second ship to a larger vessel - as well as the forecast of some of the current european traffic being lost to WB Yeats and the Ireland-France direct route due to Brexit - It is doubtful that the levels will dictate the necessity of Ulysses needing to be stretched.

giftgrub

Quote from: IFPete on January 26, 2018, 06:13:11 PM
ICG they this before with St Killian which was lengthened in Amsterdam to St Killian II in the 1980s.

It was a great success because,

True, but different times and a different ICG, would imagine the big U is as big as it will ever be, though with the announcements so far this year, who knows what will happen in the future.

Though given what they are paying for the two new builds, the cost of making a Jumbo U would probably be too expensive.

The insider

Not need for it..IF have more than enough capacity with the new guide..probably too much

PaddyL

IF did actually look at enlarging the Ulysses quite a few years ago (maybe about 10 years ago) and rejected it.  I think her proposed length was going to present operational difficulties at Dublin.

IFPete

They must of resolved this issue with the new builds,

I wonder is it due to the dredging of the port last year.

PaddyL

Quote from: IFPete on January 29, 2018, 10:49:46 AM
They must of resolved this issue with the new builds,

I wonder is it due to the dredging of the port last year.

When ICG were exploring this, the Ulysses was their only ship on the route.

As HHVFerry comments above, it's hard to see exactly why they'd need an even bigger Ulysses fore the foreseeable.

IFPete

If Irish Ferries goes to three tier loading in Dublin, i would imagine Ulysses would also be modified if cost effective to do so.

When i was at Dublin Port on Christmas eve i noticed Oscar Wilde has side loading capability from its previous life.

St Columba

The second new build  is 226m in length so probably too long for the current berth? Anyone aware of the plan for Dublin ferryport?

IFPete

Ulysses as build around the limitations of the berth in Dublin which had a minimum draft of 6.5 metres

Steven

Quote from: St Columba on January 29, 2018, 04:42:30 PM
The second new build  is 226m in length so probably too long for the current berth? Anyone aware of the plan for Dublin ferryport?
The documents are online somewhere

Quote from: IFPete on January 26, 2018, 05:23:59 PM

Based on Ulysses design?  Where do you form that conclusion from?  Everything I've seen suggests she's an FSG design, whereas Ulysses was based on the Aker Cruise Ferry 4000 concept.
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline