Investment at Rosslare Europort

Started by pdnr777, January 06, 2018, 05:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven

Quote from: giftgrub on June 30, 2018, 04:51:25 PM
To be fair the port has been cleaned up, lick of paint where needed,  new speed limit signs at top of the hill, signs cleaned, new flags, flowers, road markings, damaged fencing replaced, also apparently terminal has been cleaned up ( I have not been in there recently)

It certainly looks more inviting than it did six months ago, the former railway track area is the only neglected area now, (still can't believe they moved the railway).

Port ramps/ Linkspan  are all modern, so not much more they can do at the moment with the three main berths.

Maybe bring back a fast craft for the summer !!!!!!
At least something is being done.  Wouldn't hold my breath on that fast craft though!
Steve in Belfast (suburbia)

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tarbyonline

Matt73

To be fair the port has been cleaned up, lick of paint where needed,  new speed limit signs at top of the hill, signs cleaned, new flags, flowers, road markings, damaged fencing replaced, also apparently terminal has been cleaned up ( I have not been in there recently)

It certainly looks more inviting than it did six months ago, the former railway track area is the only neglected area now, (still can't believe they moved the railway).

Port ramps/ Linkspan  are all modern, so not much more they can do at the moment with the three main berths.

I was there a few weeks ago (10th and 15th June), the last time having been in the summer of 1989 when the terminal was brand new.  The money had then run out to build enclosed walkways/gangways to all of the berths and a travelator in the enclosed walkway from what was then the Sealink berth; I recall a long walk to and from the terminal.

As I left a very empty Rosslare, on a very quiet Isle of Innishmore (which looks tired inside, but well looked after, and could somebody please explain the point of the split-level atrium at the stern?  A waste of space and the windows need a good clean), I started to wonder what the future is likely to hold.  Given what we now know about Stena at Fishguard, it seems there is a lot of over capacity on the southern corridor.  Is the Innishmore too big for the route, even if Stena closes Fishguard down?  Pembroke Dock, the first time I have been there, seemed very small and I can see why some of you have posted that the authorities might be glad to see the back of the ferry service.

The French services seem to be busier; there were lots of trailers parked.

I now see why Irish Ferries have put their investment into a service from Dublin to Cherbourg.

Should Stena close Fishguard, might they move the Cherbourg service to Cork? 

Would Irish Ferries soak up Stena's Fishguard business and carry on from Pembroke?

Might Stena open a new service from Bristol to Cork?  I know I have posted about this before and some of you thought not.   Surely it might pull in hauliers from further into the south-west of England, in addition to south wales?  The port is close to the M5 and close to Bristol Parkway.  Or,  does the the lock at Bristol render it a non-starter?  Cork is a bigger port about to receive a lot of investment and with better road connections.

I saw the Stena Europe as she passed the Innishmore on her way to Fishguard; a fine looking ship and well looked after. 

Looking forward to reading the responses of those better informed than me!

Matt

Steven

Stena have reaffirmed their commitment to Fishguard in the press, so for now at least they won't be making changes at Rosslare either.

QuoteStena 'fully committed' to Fishguard ferry terminal
28 June 2018

The Stena Line ferry company has insisted it is "fully committed to supporting and developing" its terminal at Fishguard in Pembrokeshire.
Eight days ago it announced it had dropped a £5m plan to replace the flexible ship-to-shore bridge that allows vehicles on and off.
Local councillors described it a "worrying time" for the town.
The new commitment to the port came in an updated statement on Thursday.
The ferry operator had already invited tenders for the work to replace the Linkspan bridge on the Fishguard to Rosslare route.
But earlier this month it cancelled the plan and said it did not now "have a timescale for future developments".
The decision followed Stena's scrapping of plans for a marina and apartments at the Fishguard terminal in January to "focus all resources on our core business".

Local councillor Pat Davies said she was deeply concerned by Stena's decision not to proceed with the new ship-to-shore connection and that the company could pull out.
"I can't really bear to think about it actually and other people in our community feel the same," she said.
"There is no alternative employment in our area to pick up that shortfall."
Transport expert Dr Andrew Potter from Cardiff University said the port could struggle to survive without the funding.
"Stena Line has to look at the Holyhead route which is the main Irish sea route," he said.
"It may be that they are reserving their funds for Holyhead at the expense of Fishguard."
In response Stena Line has reissued its statement from earlier this month with an amended last line.
It said: "Stena Line does not have a timescale for possible future developments but remains fully committed to supporting and developing its ferry services at Fishguard."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-44644552

giftgrub

Quote from: Matt73 on June 30, 2018, 08:44:10 PM

I was there a few weeks ago (10th and 15th June), the last time having been in the summer of 1989 when the terminal was brand new.  The money had then run out to build enclosed walkways/gangways to all of the berths and a travelator in the enclosed walkway from what was then the Sealink berth; I recall a long walk to and from the terminal.

As I left a very empty Rosslare, on a very quiet Isle of Innishmore (which looks tired inside, but well looked after, and could somebody please explain the point of the split-level atrium at the stern?  A waste of space and the windows need a good clean), I started to wonder what the future is likely to hold.  Given what we now know about Stena at Fishguard, it seems there is a lot of over capacity on the southern corridor.  Is the Innishmore too big for the route, even if Stena closes Fishguard down?  Pembroke Dock, the first time I have been there, seemed very small and I can see why some of you have posted that the authorities might be glad to see the back of the ferry service.

The French services seem to be busier; there were lots of trailers parked.

I now see why Irish Ferries have put their investment into a service from Dublin to Cherbourg.

Should Stena close Fishguard, might they move the Cherbourg service to Cork? 

Would Irish Ferries soak up Stena's Fishguard business and carry on from Pembroke?

Might Stena open a new service from Bristol to Cork?  I know I have posted about this before and some of you thought not.   Surely it might pull in hauliers from further into the south-west of England, in addition to south wales?  The port is close to the M5 and close to Bristol Parkway.  Or,  does the the lock at Bristol render it a non-starter?  Cork is a bigger port about to receive a lot of investment and with better road connections.

I saw the Stena Europe as she passed the Innishmore on her way to Fishguard; a fine looking ship and well looked after. 

Looking forward to reading the responses of those better informed than me!

Matt

Hi Matt, the enclosed walkways were built when the terminal was built, the IF one was removed when the port was reconfigured, never knew they were thinking of a travelator in those days.

The veranda on the stern of the Inishmore is a large seating area, obviously when running from Dublin you could fit quite a few people in this area, increasing passenger capacity.

Stena and IF future plans will be Brexit influenced, personally I would think the status quo will stay as is, cannot see either operator leaving the routes. As also posted after your post, Stena have not given up on Fishguard.

Steven

QuoteStena and IF future plans will be Brexit influenced, personally I would think the status quo will stay as is, cannot see either operator leaving the routes. As also posted after your post, Stena have not given up on Fishguard.
Exactly, with Brexit around the corner it's not the time that make major changes.  The southern corridor is an entirely different kettle of fish to the central corridor. 

IFPete

The veranda windows on Isle of Inishmore and Isle of Inishfree are not dirty , their seals are blown out due to sea conditions, engine vibrations etc and leak in heavy seas. The cost of replacing them is not justifiable given the lack of use this area gets normally during refit cover on Dublin Holyhead route. I understand the Isle of Innisfree was in worse condition prior to sale than the ones on Isle of Inishmore mainly due to more severe engine vibration on the Isle of Innisfree.

Matt73

Quote from: Steven on July 02, 2018, 07:30:49 PM
QuoteStena and IF future plans will be Brexit influenced, personally I would think the status quo will stay as is, cannot see either operator leaving the routes. As also posted after your post, Stena have not given up on Fishguard.
Exactly, with Brexit around the corner it's not the time that make major changes.  The southern corridor is an entirely different kettle of fish to the central corridor.

Many thanks to you and Steven for setting me right! 

Matt

Matt73

Quote from: IFPete on July 02, 2018, 08:20:12 PM
The veranda windows on Isle of Inishmore and Isle of Inishfree are not dirty , their seals are blown out due to sea conditions, engine vibrations etc and leak in heavy seas. The cost of replacing them is not justifiable given the lack of use this area gets normally during refit cover on Dublin Holyhead route. I understand the Isle of Innisfree was in worse condition prior to sale than the ones on Isle of Inishmore mainly due to more severe engine vibration on the Isle of Innisfree.

Many thanks Pete.

Matt

NathanBrady

Bilt to a price.  Get what you pay for

Steven

Quote from: NathanBrady on July 04, 2018, 08:09:57 AM
Bilt to a price.  Get what you pay for
VGN certainly weren't known for overcharging.  Its not like she's a new vessel either though!

There was a protest today in Rosslare apparently about the withdrawal of the France service over winter.  People (and local press) seem to be surprised, but it was known this was happening months ago!  I've even seen it referred to as a rumour in some places (pretty sure this was announced as part of this years timetable, we've certainly been talking about it on here for months). 

It seems to be a bit of a case of shutting the gate once the horse has bolted, no?

Dart

Is there any source for "protest" in Rosslare?

The withdrawal of Oscar Wilde Rosslare/France has been rumoured for some time:
https://www.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/news/fears-for-future-of-oscar-wilde-ferry-out-of-rosslare-port-34797948.html

Why would people be protesting now? Also, does it matter much to people in Wexford? How many people are directly employed by the Oscar Wilde in that region and on the indirect side, there are still other services from Rosslare.

Steven

Quote from: Dart on July 08, 2018, 12:12:51 PM
Is there any source for "protest" in Rosslare?

The withdrawal of Oscar Wilde Rosslare/France has been rumoured for some time:
https://www.independent.ie/regionals/goreyguardian/news/fears-for-future-of-oscar-wilde-ferry-out-of-rosslare-port-34797948.html

Why would people be protesting now? Also, does it matter much to people in Wexford? How many people are directly employed by the Oscar Wilde in that region and on the indirect side, there are still other services from Rosslare.

Local media.  The reason it's come to the fore now is Sinn Fein are pushing it

https://wexfordtoday.com/2018/07/04/strong-public-support-for-rosslare-europort/

The article below is potentially more interesting for the fact that nowhere does it say that Irish Ferries are promising to deliver the Rosslare to France service next year.  Just speculating here, but if the uproar now they have politicians pushing the issue isn't all that bad could they be tempted to let Oscar go if the right offer comes in?  Of course had Dublin to France ran it's full schedule this year they'd have a better idea of the impact but they will know the number of bookings they had already taken before cancelling those services.  At present they can also shift much of the blame to the port as well of course.

https://m.wexfordpeople.ie/news/fears-for-port-as-one-winter-service-is-axed-37073362.html

The point I think is being slightly missed is that the winter service is sustained by freight, and for various reasons Dublin is more popular with the majority of freight.  Until recently hauliers have had little choice but to drive to Rosslare, and we also need to remember the increased frequency from Cork (and winter service) and the Neptune service from Rosslare which has been taking an amount of freight as well.  Irish Ferries of course have the data already of Rosslare/Dublin - France winter carryings to compare.  If Epsilon is doing as well as or better than Oscar on that weekend service then the likelihood is that is only going to get more the case when a week round service is introduced, at the expense of carrying at Rosslare.  The Ireland to France freight pie is only so big and is being divided up by more routes and operators than before.  Without a large increase in volumes being shipped there was always going to be a casualty and in this case it looks to have been the least efficient winter service.

NathanBrady

Who wants to go to cherborg in winter?

Matt73

Quote from: NathanBrady on July 15, 2018, 02:58:17 PM

Good point!  Have never been there, always go to Caen/Ouistreham.   

Why haven't Brittany Ferries opened a service from Cork to Caen?  Too far?  Given that Cherbourg, and Le Havre for that matter, are on 100 mile + long peninsulas, why not take the extra time at sea, save the drivers the fuel and go to Caen?  Or, is the port just too rammed with the traffic from Portsmouth? 

Matt

Steven

Quote from: Matt73 on July 21, 2018, 06:24:22 PM
Quote from: NathanBrady on July 15, 2018, 02:58:17 PM

Good point!  Have never been there, always go to Caen/Ouistreham.   

Why haven't Brittany Ferries opened a service from Cork to Caen?  Too far?  Given that Cherbourg, and Le Havre for that matter, are on 100 mile + long peninsulas, why not take the extra time at sea, save the drivers the fuel and go to Caen?  Or, is the port just too rammed with the traffic from Portsmouth? 

Matt
Possibly isn't the demand, plus ticket prices would have to rise due to the extra costs with the longer voyage.  Could also be capacity or fleet utilisation related.  Brittany Ferries fleet policy in particular is quite complicated due to the charter agreements from the cooperatives that own some of the vessels I believe.